New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinning out Jarrows Inletting black
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Would appreciate any recommendations on what is a good thinning agent for Jarrows Inletting Black, not sure what to use.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put a dab of Jarrows on a sponge in a dish then pour a little motor oil on top and smear it around. Then I use a brush to dab on top of the sponge then to the part being inletted.
Phil

Posts: 352 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use it as is but put it on very sparingly. I use an acid brush and spread it on the metal just enough to give a mark, if you put it on thicker you get a lot of false contact points.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just buy a tube of black artists oil color. Mix it 50:50 with petroleum jelly. Cheap, won't get thick. Lasts forever.

Posts: 3662 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am just copying what I saw inletters do at Bishop and Fajen years ago. Figured they knew more than I did (everyone else does) Smiler
Phil

Posts: 352 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Birchwood Casey makes a synthetic oil that I use, however it does seem to "dry out" some. Sone type of oil any way

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5499 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never had to thin it yet but I would be inclined to try something like mineral oil.
BB

Posts: 394 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lester Brooks
posted Hide Post
I have used a Zippo lighter for years and it works fine without the oil with a smoke base. A candle will work just as well and cheap to buy. Smoke was used and might still be used be people scaping to true up old machines. Why waste your money on something you probably have in the shop.

Posts: 89 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 December 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a can of low odor mineral spirits on hand and it worked out fine. Got a nice thin layer on the metal, which in turn prevented getting a false reading and removing too much wood, kind of a now I get it moment for this amateur.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a few drops of lighter fluid dropped in to thin it; put it on in a thin layer using a q-tip.

Posts: 1098 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote