New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin 1895 .45-70 feeding issue
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
We received the above rifle in for feeding issues. Ammo is Hornady Lever Revolution. Sure enough, it jams when feeding up. The rounds come up at a steep angle then the rim jams under the extractor as the bolt pushes the round forward. We've tried chamfering the claw and three other extractors, but nothing works. If we remove the extractor the round feeds normally. It appears the round is cammed outboard when coming up rather than straight up. We are considering trying another carrier/lifter. Any ideas?

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I've converted more 30-30s to 45-70 than I can count. So, have to modify the bolt face and all the guts. Got one one the bench now. All feed/fed fine. Even did a couple 38-56s.
I even use the original extractor, and bend it outwards; that sounds like your issue. Carrier seems ok since it works without the exrtractor.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks D, I'll try that in the morning. Do you heat and bend, then heat and quench?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No I just bend them. If you can make a 30-30 or 35 Rem extractor work on a 45-70, that means they are really good spring steel. I do file the claw a bit too. For the conversions I used to buy new carriers, but since there are no more Marlin parts, I machine them to work. Have to mill out the receiver too. Bigger mag tube. Bore receiver for that. Just for info.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, we massaged the extractor but no joy. As the round feeds up, the cartridge rim is pushed so far to the right, that the extractor cannot deflect enough to allow the round to feed up. It almost appears the left receiver wall below the bolt raceway was not milled for the larger round. When you convert 30-30 receivers to .45-70, do you have to thin the left wall?

quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
No I just bend them. If you can make a 30-30 or 35 Rem extractor work on a 45-70, that means they are really good spring steel. I do file the claw a bit too. For the conversions I used to buy new carriers, but since there are no more Marlin parts, I machine them to work. Have to mill out the receiver too. Bigger mag tube. Bore receiver for that. Just for info.....

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No. I only have to mill the ejection port open, loading gate hole, and mag tube hole. . Look at the carrier and make sure it is the right one; has to be open U at the front to allow the big rims to go through.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is the big "U" for sure. There is a noticeable step in the left receiver wall machining.The rim is deflected at least a 1/32 th past the right bolt face by contact with the left wall. My bench partner thinks it is a late Remington/Marlin that was sabotaged by disgruntled employees! rotflmo Can you measure the left wall thickness on one of yours and let me know?

quote:
No. I only have to mill the ejection port open, loading gate hole, and mag tube hole. . Look at the carrier and make sure it is the right one; has to be open U at the front to allow the big rims to go through.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, I will.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ok, I will.

Thanks D.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
We received the above rifle in for feeding issues. Ammo is Hornady Lever Revolution. Sure enough, it jams when feeding up. The rounds come up at a steep angle then the rim jams under the extractor as the bolt pushes the round forward. We've tried chamfering the claw and three other extractors, but nothing works. If we remove the extractor the round feeds normally. It appears the round is cammed outboard when coming up rather than straight up. We are considering trying another carrier/lifter. Any ideas?
I have had several people mention that they have changed the magazine follower (part 46 on the schematic from Brownells). The old 1895's had a metal follower. It was changed to plastic as a stated improvement? Folks have changed back to the metal or aftermarket Aluminum and solved the feeding problem with the gummie bullets. I was told the plastic can flex and does not give as big a push or pressure as the metal, messing up the timing of the feeding on the lifter.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Follower does not affect the travel up the carrier ramp.
His issue is with the extractor. Without seeing it, but I have made many of these things work over the years.
I even converted one to 405 WCF (2.2 inch) once. Got actual 405 velocities. But the lever opened itself after every shot, so I backed off the loads some......Figured that was a bad thing even though it made cycling much faster.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Frame left sidewall thickness is .224. The step referred to above is for the. carrier to ride in; and it is .181 thick.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Follower does not affect the travel up the carrier ramp.
His issue is with the extractor. Without seeing it, but I have made many of these things work over the years.
I even converted one to 405 WCF (2.2 inch) once. Got actual 405 velocities. But the lever opened itself after every shot, so I backed off the loads some......Figured that was a bad thing even though it made cycling much faster.
You would know better than I would. Just passing on information on what several friends have told me about fixing gummie bullet feeding problems.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It would seem them that our rifle is out of spec. Left sidewall is .215 and carrier cut .125. Carrier is a real sloppy fit. What's weird is that it has more room. Are these things supposed to push feed or CRF?

Thanks,

Bob
quote:
Frame left sidewall thickness is .224. The step referred to above is for the. carrier to ride in; and it is .181 thick.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Not by any means a gunsmith just someone who has owned several Marlins lever action rifles.

I have no way of knowing if that’s the same problem with the rifle your dealing with but Marlin offered a retrofit magazine follower to owners of 1895s to fix the feeding issues associated with Hornady gummy tip ammo. Newer rifles all have it installed.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote