New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shop-made front sight beads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have two rifles in the shop that need new front sights. One is a Type-S Mauser, full stocked sporter, and the other is a Westley Richards Model 1897 single shot. The Mauser's front bead is too low and the WR bead is too small to see clearly. I could fire up the milling machine and cut a dovetail base for the Mauser and a make a base that would fit the WR ramp. I'm stumped, though, when it comes to making a graceful (something that doesn't look like Bubba made it) staff for the bead and the bead itself.

The factory beads for both rifles start off with a round, elongated bead that tapers toward the muzzle. Is there any easier way to make one of these than to just file the whole thing? Then, how does one attach an ivory or brass bead to the staff?

The easiest thing to do would be to modify the front ramps to accept readily available beads. Just kidding! That would be a capital offense.

So, how would all you experts tackle this problem. I would rather not spend hours and hours making a custom bead? DPCD, you ideas are welcome, too.

Posts: 465 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To answer your question about filing I am thinking of a short piece of 1/8"brazing rod, a drill motor, and a belt sander. Won't take long to make a tapered bead, eh?

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hope I'm understanding you right. How about:

Cut a slot in the (untapered) brass rod, width slightly bigger than the staff you'll insert. Uniform depth so later the taper stays "centered" on the staff.

Put the brass rod on the lathe and cut the taper with 5 or 10 degrees on the compound.

Tin the top of the staff with low temp (lead) solder, and then insert in the tapered rod and solder. Or maybe just use the Loctite for dissimilar metals.

Posts: 1720 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made a lot of those beads over the years for British rifles, "caterpillars". The longitudinal ones have around a 15 deg dovetail, so cut that and a flag. Silver solder a piece of silver on it, and file the rest.

All those other ideas are way too complicated, and won't look correct.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any chance you have one of Midway's
old Big catalogs?

There's quite a selection of beads
and many other sights in there with
pictures and sizes. Plumb cheap too.

Iv'e bought 3/32" white spot fronts for
my ML's. Sure helped with my poor eyes.

Good luck,

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skl1:
Or maybe just use the Loctite for dissimilar metals.

i use loctite black maxx for just these things

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38381 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a bead but there is a thread about using a penny for the front sight. sofa

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2757 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want the Westley bead to look right, you'll have to file it up. It takes about 2 1/2 hours to make one. Copy what you've got and make it bigger.
I think all the Mauser front sight blades are the same dovetail size of 5mm. I just modified one for a friend by cutting down the barleycorn and then slitting it a bit. I silver soldered a taller blade in so he would have more height for a cocking piece sight.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rowe:
If you want the Westley bead to look right, you'll have to file it up. I just modified one for a friend by cutting down the barleycorn and then slitting it a bit.
I silver soldered a taller blade in so he would have more height for a cocking piece sight.

Mike, This conversation intrigues me but I have no idea at times what the heck you guys are talking about. I am very visual, Is it possible to post some pictures?
BB

Posts: 391 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote