New
Find
Notify
Tools

need help loose butt stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It's a Winchester model 94 the stock is very loose the screw is as tight as can be. Never had this problem before any tricks to fix this problem? Thanks. Bill

one of us
posted Hide Post
you need to glass bed the tangs including the hole for the stock bolt. inspect for cracks while you are at it.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2927 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes and do not shoot it until you fix it.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Run a thin bead of glass around it I use a match stick to do this part, then a little more on the front and rear of the tang, I fill the screw hole and use a t-screw, but you can use the original grip screw...actually you could just glass the front and the rear tang and the top of the hole..if you must.

Glass is the salvation to factory guns and some custom rifles, depending on the stock maker.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I restocked my Marlin 336, I found a large roll pin that was an exact fit for my tang screw. I opened up the tang hole large enough to accept the pin. I trimmed the pin to size and I then bedded the tang along with the metal sleeve. This makes everything nice and tight and I like to think that it helps with accuracy.

Posts: 83 | Location: Brownstown, PA | Registered: 04 January 2022Reply With Quote