New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chamber reamer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an old 12 guage Stevens single shot , break open shot gun ..

The chamber length seems to measure 2 5/8 inch , I need to rent a 2 3/4 inch chamber reamer .. to lengthen chamber or send barrel out ..

Any suggestions
Thanks , Bob

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1291 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good morning. Why not just order 2 1/2 inch ammo and leave the old girl as she is? Cheers luke

Posts: 350 | Location: pueblo, Co. USA | Registered: 01 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Contact MD Stewart. Dr Stewart has several of these old shotguns and routinely hunts them. He can advise on either, where to get them altered, or where to get ammo.
I used to have a reamer, but it is missing.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1291 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
Do a search for Reamer Rentals, there are a couple of places.

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bear Cat:
I need to rent a 2 3/4 inch chamber reamer .. to lengthen chamber or send barrel out ..

Any suggestions.

A 12 gauge reamer is a 12 gauge reamer. Two inch, 2 1/2, 2 5/8, 2 3/4, 3 or 3 1/2 all with the same tool. You just drive it in further for a longer chamber. You can choose standard or “long forcing cone” profile. Brownells or reamer makers list them. Most places that do shotgun work can do that. Or as suggested, use 2 1/2 inch RST shells. Unless you are going to use that for target shooting, a case of shells will last a long time in a single shot. A safe and inexpensive solution.

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did similar with an old single shot 20 ga last year, but I chucked up a piece of O1 steel, turned the contour I needed, milled flutes and hardened it and honed. Lengthened the forcing cone and extended the chamber for a light carry turkey gun. It worked pretty well and was a fun learning experience.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1168 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You really need a proper gage to determine the exact length of the chamber..and a good idea to pay attention to the resulting wall thickness.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote