Notify
Tools

Nylon 66 Rear Sight Repair
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted
Happy Holidays Gents,

I recently came into a 1972 Remington Nylon 66. Stock, metal, and bore are all in surprisingly good condition for having spent 50 years in someone's dusty closet. After cleaning everything up, the only issue I'm finding is the screw that controls the elevation adjustment on the rear sight is broken. I was able to take the screw out and can verify it looks like the end of the tip is broken off. The sight itself is in fine shape, but I'm at a loss as to what to do about the screw to get it back to working. Looking to the group for some advice.

I know scopes aren't recommended with these guns, as the receiver cover is just a shell over plastic and not a great mounting foundation, but I've considered an inexpensive red dot sight if the sights can't be easily remedied. This gun is waaaay down in my 22LR pecking order, so I just want it to be able to function so I can goof around with it at the range.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I searched on Google and found this.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-R...1:g:0hoAAOSwxq5dRJw-

There's others I'm sure.

Posts: 322 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 April 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3666 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 312 | Location: Alaska to Kalispell MT | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Two of those are the windage screw, but the last one is the correct elevation screw. Numrich is cheaper but out of stock (of course). Does anyone know how to install it? I don't see threads in the hole; it's kind of strange.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clayman:
Interesting. Two of those are the windage screw, but the last one is the correct elevation screw. Numrich is cheaper but out of stock (of course). Does anyone know how to install it? I don't see threads in the hole; it's kind of strange.

Didn't the Nylon 66 recycle some parts from the Remington five-teens?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14363 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trying to remember exactly.
It seems that the top portion of the sight (with the blade) is sprung to be at maximum height. The elevation adjustment screw threads into the bottom portion of the assembly and pulls the blade portion down.

Posts: 312 | Location: Alaska to Kalispell MT | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dian1:
Trying to remember exactly.
It seems that the top portion of the sight (with the blade) is sprung to be at maximum height. The elevation adjustment screw threads into the bottom portion of the assembly and pulls the blade portion down.

Yeah, that's what I'm seeing too. However, there's no threaded portion in the actual body of the receiver cover. Instead, I got off this very tiny washer (no idea where it goes). Tough to figure this one out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's something to look at:
http://www.nylonrifles.com/Nylonpdf/66FSM.pdf
Page 6 describes the sight.
Also, if you "google" nylon 66 sight washer there is one for sale with a picture of how it attaches to the elevation screw.

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Interesting! I did some Googling of my own and found the same. Not sure how I'm supposed to get the actual sight assembly off since it's riveted to the receiver cover. Sounds like a bit of grinding to get the screw replaced. Thanks for the research and digging up that manual. I'll save it for future use.

posted Hide Post
It appears from the factory manual that the rear sight must be completely removed and the rivets replaced on reassembly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know where you got the info about scopes not being good on 66's. I got my 1st 1 in 1967 and put a Bushnell 4x scope on it with my grass cutting money. In '67 I was 15 years old, and I could consistently shoot squirrels with it and shotgun hulls at 50 yrs. measured.

CO School of Trades 1976, Gunsmithing

Posts: 126 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 18 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cutiger:
Don't know where you got the info about scopes not being good on 66's. I got my 1st 1 in 1967 and put a Bushnell 4x scope on it with my grass cutting money. In '67 I was 15 years old, and I could consistently shoot squirrels with it and shotgun hulls at 50 yrs. measured.

Thanks for the insight. I have heard of others having issues with the scopes or anything mounted to the dovetail being a little wonky due to the fact it's not a solid piece of metal. In all honesty, it's through-bolted to the receiver, and it's only a .22, so I'm now wondering how much force is actually on the mounts. I might end up doing that because repairing the rear sight is turning out to be a huge pain in the ass.

Since this was a futuristic gun for its day with racy lines, anyone think it would be sacrilege to throw a modern day red dot on there?? Might make it fun to play with for me or the wife.