Find
Notify
Tools

Savage Model 10 bolt disassembly
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
I have a Savage Model 10 in .223. Had a number of pierced primers recently (no Rem 7 1/2's to reload with, used softer primers). Would like to disassemble the bolt and clean it out.

This bolt does not have a rear 'screw' or hex bolt. All the Youtube videos I've seen have that form of disassembly.

10-4 that these bolts are a little more complicated than taking down a Mauser or Rem 700 bolt.

Can anybody share a link to a video of takedown of this style of bolt?

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you post a picture? I've never seen one that didn't have a hex recess for an allen key.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is what a current model 10 bolt plug looks like. Takes a 1/4 in hex bit(I think). If yours doesn't look like this then could it be some aftermarket product? Search the sides for a hole that allows the use of a spanner. Are you sure you have a Savage? There are a couple of other rifles out there that use the barrel nut and pinned bolt head that resemble a Savage. The Remington 783 is one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Savag...a:g:ZVAAAOSwDUpfJlld

Posts: 3665 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I have two Savage 10/110 rifles. One is a .223 and the other a 22-250. BOTH have bolts that don't have hex heads or screwdriver slots on back end of the bolt. Both are stock as taken out of the box.

Attached are photos. Hopefully somebody can direct me to a link of video take down for this style bolt.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, these come apart like the old ones, except the protrusion in the center of the Allen wrench hole will depress, if you uncock it first. Then unscrew the nut as usual.

Posts: 17094 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto. Just push the cocking piece over into the fire notch. This will expose the socket head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TKE41dDOHQ

quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Ok, these come apart like the old ones, except the protrusion in the center of the Allen wrench hole will depress, if you uncock it first. Then unscrew the nut as usual.

Posts: 3665 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the assistance and the link.