Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problems with Brownells
 Login/Join

posted
I have been a customer for about 45 years. Recently I have had problems with slow service, no reply to e-mails, and intolerable waits calling the 800 phone number. What is going on in Iowa?

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Probably labor shortage, like everywhere else.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1021 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Iowa has an unemployment rate of 2.7%; way below full employment. Every business here is short on staff; no one wants to work, so many jobs are unfilled. The state even cut unemployment benefits; didn't help. The ones left are happy to sit at home.
OTOH, I get stuff from Brownells the next day, so no complaints. I have no need to actually call them.

Posts: 17094 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Several things have happened with Brownell's this spring.

They installed a NEW computer inventory system the end of March, that took a LOT LONGER to get up and running than expected
This also wiped out any email notice items that customers may have had on file, so you will have to go back thru and redo your notices on items that are out of stock

They are currently in the past 3 weeks have been going thru the items they have on back order with Vendors and cleaning up the amounts with the Vendors they have on back-order to reduce those numbers down to a more reasonable amount, and at the same time trying to get a new delivery date for those items they are out of.

Currently Wisner's has not had a order from Brownell's since early March. You can go to Brownell's website and look up Wisner as a vendor to see just what they are out of for our products. And no order from Brownell's to even try to fill in those items we have on hand that Brownell's is out of. The 22 rim-fire magazines we offer, I have drawers full, and many more to assemble but not one order from Brownell's since March, this is really ODD

About 6 weeks ago I had tried to place a on-line order, WOW, it took the better part of 3 days, I would one or two items in my cart and get kicked off.
When I was finally able to place the order, 2 of the 1911 parts I wanted were out of stock, but were there the day before.

I have no clue as what is going on.

Jim Wisner

Posts: 1421 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just ordered some of your 120K safety kits from Oz Brownells, fingers crossed.
They took my money no worries.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Currently Wisner's has not had a order from Brownell's since early Marc

quote:
I have no clue as what is going on

As a vendor you don't have personnel contact information for one of their staff.

Who did you deal with.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Wisner's comment about 1911 parts surprises me. My take, looking thru the catalog, is that the younger Brownell is interested in ONLY 1911 and black guns.

Not my "go to" store any more.

Posts: 3450 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the time it took over 3 days to work thru their website issues, Brownells was out of a Wilson brand barrel bushing and a one piece recoil spring guide, so I had to change brands to buy those two items.

Brownell's is out of a lot of Novak 1911 sights, so going to Novaks website, wow Novak is out of about 40% of the 1911 sights

In the past I have talked to the buyers from Brownell's. Results varied from buyer to buyer. Its like they now are instructed not to tell the vendors any of Brownell's policies. Getting any information from them is like pulling one of your own teeth

I have noticed a big change in the last 8 - 10 years of Brownell's way of doing business. Look at the cost of a Shilen barrel on their website, prices all over, and Shilen charges the same price regardless if it is 22 cal # 2 barrel or a 30 cal # 7 contoured blank. That is one small example of the price variations.

Also do you know how many companies Brownell's has bought in this time period. There is Sinclair Int, Little Crow Shooting Supplies, and 2nd Adventure, that I know of.

Ok time for me to get off the soap box and relax.

Jim Wisner

Posts: 1421 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They (Brownells) only catalogs what is in demand and sells fast. Many things I bought in the past they no longer carry. I made the decision several years ago to go directly to the maker of the product, especially if the maker/vendor could sell to me at the same price (or near the same price) as Brownells 'dealer' pricing. If the maker/vendor can do that, it means Brownells is buying from them at an even lower price, so they (Brownells) can mark-up for their profit. Beat a maker/vendor down in price enough and pretty soon it's not worth it to make that 'custom' part that you like. I prefer to support those small companies that make those nice 'parts' or products that I like. Brownells is following the 'rules' of capitalism, make a profit, and it seems there's not as much profit in many of the tools, supplies and parts that they (Brownells) no longer catalogs. Added note: About a month ago I called and wanted to make a "special order", and was informed that service is no longer available. Too many "special ordered" and then didn't buy what they ordered. Brownells got 'stuck' with the part/tool/supply. After that call, it just reinforced my thoughts of going directly to the vendor/maker. I have been a customer for over 30yrs and was willing to pay for the "special order" in advance. That didn't matter.

Posts: 675 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Maybe they're too busy looking after the international trade Smiler

I bought some stock cross-bolts from Brownell Australia recently, arriving within two weeks - and they had supposedly been sent from the US just for my order.

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rumor has it UPS as stopped shipping from any firearms parts supplier.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I get firearms stuff from UPS all the time - sounds like a BS rumor.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10054 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just saw a post on another message board that said that UPS is canceling shipping accounts for some in the firearms industry, including Brownells. I followed the links and watched the posts on Youtube, went to Fakebook and looked for the 'letter' on Brownells page, but it has been removed. Not a "Fakebook" account holder (and don't want to be!) so maybe it's only visible to 'members', or Brownells removed it. Gotta' be 'politically correct' in this day and age!

Posts: 675 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
This is complete nonsense and is anti gun propaganda promoted by the dems and antis.
I got a box with 5 rifles in it just yesterday, from the Brown Truck Guy.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
I get firearms stuff from UPS all the time - sounds like a BS rumor.

No, they did drop Brownells and one other. Something to do with shipping specific rifle parts with no FFL and some leftists claimed it was illegal. That was the BS part.

http://www.thegunmag.com/break...packages-in-transit/

If I have other options I wont be using UPS anymore. They've shown their true colors.

I just ordered some dies from Brownells. It took a couple days longer than usual, nothing too drastic though. When I inquired about my order via E-mail they responded in a timely manner. My guess is they are are short handed like so many others.

Posts: 10127 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is kind of sad. Brownells was, for a long time, a huge part of any gunsmith's business and I hate to see them go but that is the way it looks. The changing times have not been kind to the older gunsmiths! Regards, Bill

Posts: 3521 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Go where? As I said, I get stuff from Brownells all the time, in one day. Brownells isn't going anywhere.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.fedex.com/en-us/sh...o-ship-firearms.html FedEx will now require a "shipping compliance" with FFLs. Those that don't hold a FFL are not allowed to ship FedEx anymore. I guess it's not enough for the FFL to give someone the first 3 and last five of their license number, have that 'someone' use EZcheck, download it, and present it, along with their package to 'prove' they are shipping to a FFL as required by the regs. I see it as 'pressure' from the current occupant of the Whitehouse.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recently I ordered a steel Brownell grip cap to complete a custom rifle, Ive used many of them over the years but just not lately. Lo and behold, I received it and it came with an allen head screw. WTH, Len Brownell had to be rolling over in his grave.
Phil

Posts: 352 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil McFall:
Recently I ordered a steel Brownell grip cap to complete a custom rifle, Ive used many of them over the years but just not lately. Lo and behold, I received it and it came with an allen head screw. WTH, Len Brownell had to be rolling over in his grave.
Phil
I guess they couldn't get those narrow slotted head screws from China, and to 'hold the price' couldn't get them made in the US. Almost all common fasteners are coming from over seas.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You guys kill me; those caps have come with TORX head screw for at least a couple of decades now; done for a reason; not a random screw substitution.
Torx heads are easier to install, and will never deform. And look fine.
Look at one and you will see that it is not just an off the shelf screw; it is specially made shallow groove, wood screw. So no, Len is not spinning in his grave.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't mean to suggest that Brownells was gone but Brownells, as we knew it, is. Now, in many cases, this is because the suppliers of the goods which were available are gone. As well, the shooting landscape is changing. In other cases, we are, once again, victims of "just in time" inventorying. The fact remains, times are changing. Some of us relish the change and some do not.
As far as Torx screws for grip caps is concerned; Yuck! A filler for the Torx cavity might be a viable product. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3521 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
You guys kill me; those caps have come with TORX head screw for at least a couple of decades now; done for a reason; not a random screw substitution.
Torx heads are easier to install, and will never deform. And look fine.
Look at one and you will see that it is not just an off the shelf screw; it is specially made shallow groove, wood screw. So no, Len is not spinning in his grave.

For all my screw needs I use torx head when ever I can get them to fit the job.

I don't drive nails any more I grab my batterie driver and go to it.

For fine work I still use a hand driver.

But for general repairs ect my Milwaukee impact driver sends them home.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They now have yet another problem...UPS has shut down their account. Some sort of concern of "Ghost" uns...and of course the ammo that can be used in "Ghost" guns.

UPS ha also one on record that they will destroy ghost guns and parts!!

Posts: 3450 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive never had problems mailing guns thru UPS, other than pistols must go 2nd day and cost has jumped to about $125., otherwise no ffl is required, but a DL is to the ffl..It seems to be the best we have on that count..My hobby is rifles, so I'll stick with that while I can.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
I sent my Brownell's buyer a email, below is her response.

Good afternoon,
Yes, our UPS account is currently on hold. Unfortunately, I do not have much information on it at this time.
Please use our FedEx account listed on the purchase order to ship items to us.
Thank you
Rhianna Burk​
Inventory Supply Planner I

There is a whole lot if issues all going on here at the same time, hope things get figured out.

J Wisner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Wisner, all over the place we see people that are hired to do a job what with they know nothing about. The days are gone that you got 'Bill or Peg' who actually had a handle on the whole system. Sad as that is. For many years I built aluminum boats using Miller equipment and the deterioration of tech was depressing to the point of using Chinese which was disposable. BUT their tech was actually better!

Posts: 160 | Location: Homer, AK | Registered: 11 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't put all the blame on UPS or Brownells for this because some US businesses have been pushing the limits of firearm laws with 80% lowers and no serial number lowers for several years. It's only a matter of time before they find a way to close the door on this kind of business and when they do we all have to pay the price.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 826 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copperlake:
Mr. Wisner, all over the place we see people that are hired to do a job what with they know nothing about. The days are gone that you got 'Bill or Peg' who actually had a handle on the whole system. Sad as that is. For many years I built aluminum boats using Miller equipment and the deterioration of tech was depressing to the point of using Chinese which was disposable. BUT their tech was actually better!

You are so right about t he low life's that try and try to find a way around sensible firearms laws.

Do not support these pukes.... do not buy their products. They are the ones who bring down the hammer on legitimate dealers.

While a Life member, I easily see the NRA really needs a damn good house cleaning ...starting at the top! The NRA has become a "kingdom" of outrageous expenditures, personal vacations, private planes and Italian suits.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are so right about t he low life's that try and try to find a way around sensible firearms laws.

Do not support these pukes.... do not buy their products. They are the ones who bring down the hammer on legitimate dealers.

While a Life member, I easily see the NRA really needs a damn good house cleaning ...starting at the top! The NRA has become a "kingdom" of outrageous expenditures, personal vacations, private planes and Italian suits.[/QUOTE]

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 826 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm no fan of these "do-it-yourself", 80% kits, but you have to remember, ATFE did 'approve' these as 80% non-firearms. Last I knew ATFE was a Fed Agency. So, our own Fed Government 'approved' these 80% 'kits' to be sold to the general public. Maybe a "failure of government". They've had a lot of 'failures' lately. According to many, the Fed should be all powerful and make all the decisions concerning our lives, but they don't seem to do anything well (except spend our money, trample on Constitutional Rights, and try to 'gaslight' us). Now they're putting the pressure on the common carriers to 'regulate' what they are too lazy to, or can't codify.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slivers:
I'm no fan of these "do-it-yourself", 80% kits, but you have to remember, ATFE did 'approve' these as 80% non-firearms. Last I knew ATFE was a Fed Agency. So, our own Fed Government 'approved' these 80% 'kits' to be sold to the general public. Maybe a "failure of government". They've had a lot of 'failures' lately. According to many, the Fed should be all powerful and make all the decisions concerning our lives, but they don't seem to do anything well (except spend our money, trample on Constitutional Rights, and try to 'gaslight' us). Now they're putting the pressure on the common carriers to 'regulate' what they are too lazy to, or can't codify.

This.

I am no fan of this stuff either. BUT, the law is an individual can make their own gun. Been that way for eons.
I personally don't work on these for two reasons (excuses).
First, they almost never have a serial number and I cannot put them in my bound book.
Second, almost invariably I get approached something like this...
"Hey Man, my bros and I built up a bunch of these AR's from 80%ers from ParlorNinja Tactical, with a drill press and bunch of nut picks, files, and sanding drums from Harbor Freight. They are really badass and awesome, but they don't always feed right or go off when they should. How much would you charge to just make them run sweet?? How about a sixer of your favorite suds?"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Kinda makes you wonder: I remember he 1968 gun control law. Then, Feds allowed mail carriers, auto mechanics,..Hell ANYOINE to obtain an FFL, whch made them dealers, legitimate. able to purchase wholesale...etc

Soon enough. became pretty obvious,. this was not a good thing and was highly abused.

So....Now, the requirements have been really tightened up to the poot of downright harassment.

Ever wonder if this was the "plan" all along?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
quote:

Kinda makes you wonder: I remember he 1968 gun control law. Then, Feds allowed mail carriers, auto mechanics,..Hell ANYOINE to obtain an FFL, whch made them dealers, legitimate. able to purchase wholesale...etc

Soon enough. became pretty obvious,. this was not a good thing and was highly abused.

So....Now, the requirements have been really tightened up to the poot of downright harassment.

I think some saw the opportunity to profit if the could make and market a 80% ATFE frame/receiver. I have no idea what the 80% pistol kits look like or what it takes to make one functional. I have seen 80% lowers, and with all the YouTube instruction on-line it might still take some "doin'" to get it to be functional. The problem arises when some guy figures it out and starts "mass production" and selling them 'under the table'. Instead of going after "that guy that figures it out and goes into mass production w/sales", they make it a problem for those in legit business. "Gun Control" being the ultimate goal. I'm not as 'diplomatic' as KenDog. If a home build shows up at my shop I'm likely to tell 'um, "No! You put it together, you built it, you fix it". It has to be pretty special for me to help out or offer advice for a home build. And a AR from a 80% lower isn't "special"!

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
I have NO interest in working on someone's home built weapon of any kind.

Buuutttttt.....

I have no problem with those who have done this LEGALLY. On either side of the "transaction" . Most of those that are selling the 80% paperweights have sent their product to the ATF and have been told it's NOT a firearm and not subject to ANY regulations.

Now for political reasons the definition of a part requiring a S# has rapidly changed.

Why do you think that is?????

Just because you have no interest in these kind of projects doesn't mean the change in definitions doesn't have monumental consequences.

Just look at what happened to the definition of marriage.

Woman...

Peaceful protest...

Mother...

Racist....

Vaccine....

VOTER>>>>>>>>>>

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1839 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Don't forget to add the ever changing definition of manufacturer to my list. Remember the guidance that said if you spray paint a gun you need a manufacturing license????

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1839 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
quote:

... I'm not as 'diplomatic' as KenDog. If a home build shows up at my shop I'm likely to tell 'um, "No! You put it together, you built it, you fix it". It has to be pretty special for me to help out or offer advice for a home build. And a AR from a 80% lower isn't "special"!

No diplomacy here! 80%ers get shown the door.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The whole thing boils down to: Will the responsible and sensible part of the gun industry clean up it's own act...or as in the past..Let congress do it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I spent about 2 1/2hrs trying to get the "FedEx Compliance Agreement". I was unsuccessful going through customer service and unsuccessful going to the local FedEx depot and speaking with the supervisor there. No one I spoke with knew anything about it or could direct me to someone who might know anything about it. I don't do a lot of shipping, but when I do I don't need to find out I'm not in "compliance" and have several thousand $$$ worth of rifle/shotgun hung-up within their system because they don't have my paperwork in their files, because I couldn't find anyone within the company to get "into compliance"! It's about like dealing with a gubberment entity. The link I posted in one of my posts above will take you to the FedEx site where it is explained what needs to happen for firearms shipments.