Find
Notify
Tools

20 Gauge Rifled Barrel Blank
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of LRx
posted
Are any of you aware of a barrel manufacturer who makes rifled 20 gauge barrel blanks?

So far I’ve turned up ER Shaw, but none others. Bonus points awarded if you have experience with Shaw’s 20 gauge rifled barrel blanks. Cool

Thanks in advance fellas.

Posts: 133 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 24 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hallowell & Co has a single shot rifle fitted with a rifled 20 gauge barrel. Perhaps they may know where the barrel came from.

Posts: 83 | Location: Stephenville, TX & Hamilton, MT | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WBT:
Hallowell & Co has a single shot rifle fitted with a rifled 20 gauge barrel. Perhaps they may know where the barrel came from.

That rifle at Morris’ is the germination of this project. If I remember right, that particular rifle is chambered for 3.5” 20 gauge shells that are no longer available. Gorgeous piece nonetheless.

Posts: 133 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 24 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just googled it, Shaw says that they make them.

Posts: 425 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Hastings barrels. They use verney/carron barrels. They list 20 ga rifled barrels. Might be able to get you a blank.

Posts: 352 | Location: pueblo, Co. USA | Registered: 01 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple 12's and a 20 Verny Carron rifled blanks, $300 each plus shipping.

They're unchambered, 28 or 30" long.
if interested send a pm.

Posts: 1679 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Recoil Rob:
I have a couple 12's and a 20 Verny Carron rifled blanks, $300 each plus shipping.

They're unchambered, 28 or 30" long.
if interested send a pm.

You have a PM sir.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There was a fellow importing those 20ga rifled blanks. I bought 2 of them for around $150 ea . Very good hammer forged V-C blanks if I remember right.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 20ga custom barrel for a TCR-87 which was made with a Verny Carron blank. It appears to be glass smooth and kind of like the rifling has no square shoulders. It also shoots very well. I also have another 20 ga custom barrel for another TCR-87 which I think was made from and ER Shaw blank which does not appear to be so smooth but it shoots about as well. Also, I've used both Winchester and Hornaday saboted slugs and both will kill a deer out to 200 yards. However, I've chronographed both slugs at the 5 yards and at 55 yards and determined that the actual muzzle velocities are the same although Winchester advertises theirs to be 100 fps faster and the Hornaday slugs have a much better ballistic coefficient therefore requiring significantly less hold for wind drift at longer ranges.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brennekes shoot just great in a 20ga smooth bore and they kill very well. For a rifled barrel, you can get sabot slugs but these are rather skimpy in diameter so while you may gain some range, you are going to lose some killing effect. You can make full dia lead slugs of course, but nothing like that is available commercially.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2927 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The guys that import the Hastings 20ga barrels are KEBCO ..

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2927 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm building an Arisaka Type 99 into a 20 ga rifled slug gun. I ordered my barrel blank from E R Shaw, already got the receiver, and the bolt is supposed to arrive today. Working on a chamber reamer.

one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
Pac Nor make a 600 Nitro .620", 16,20 or 36 twist.

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hastings sells VC blanks

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2140 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Oregon Barrel Works also makes them.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3811 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have used 3 Shaw 12 gauge rifled blanks. Last one ordered a couple months ago, received in about a week.

Posts: 1227 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shaw Barrels

20 Ga 1-24" Twist
12 Ga 1-28" Twist

Hastings/VC

1-in-26" (20ga).
1-in-34" (12ga)

Posts: 1679 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote