New
Find
Notify
Tools

Karab 98 b 458 Win Mag?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A couple years ago I bought a Karab 98 b barreled action in 458 Win Mag, the 24 inch barrel is a rather light contour, had my 'Smith full length bed everything in a synthetic stock, has an aftermarket trigger and bolt, stock Mauser safety, slide open bottom metal with exposed button, it wears a 3X Leupold in Leupold short lever QD rings.

Question is, I cant find any info online about the action, strength or usefulness for such a high pressure round, anyone know if these things are safe to use? the rifle weighs 9.25 lbs all up, so it's going to be a bucker.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
If I had a Kar 98 based sporter ,I'd limit the pressures to about 45 KPSI. In your case, you could probably use higher pressure 45-70 data in your larger WM case.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
If I had a Kar 98 based sporter ,I'd limit the pressures to about 45 KPSI. In your case, you could probably use higher pressure 45-70 data in your larger WM case.

Yep, large ring tenon in a small ring action leaves very little steel in the front ring.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well dang, Thanks Men, I don't remember buying a small ring syn stock, if what you guys say pans out, I guess it'd be a great hog gun running 350gr Hornadys to 2150 fps, would have to get a 'Smith stamp the side of the barrel with "350 Grain Max", and maybe the RL-7 load recipe.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Hold the Phone!
Look at the markings on your receiver. If it says, Karab 98b, then it is a large ring. Your post says Karab.
All the small rings are either Kar 98 or K98 for the Polish made ones. BTW, someone butchered a very rare Mauser if it is/was a 98b. Turned a $2000 rifle into a $500 one.
If it is a small ring, then do what they said above. Or I will sell you a large ring receiver; I have a ton of them.

Posts: 17094 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jerry mcdonald:
Well dang, Thanks Men, I don't remember buying a small ring syn stock, if what you guys say pans out, I guess it'd be a great hog gun running 350gr Hornadys to 2150 fps, would have to get a 'Smith stamp the side of the barrel with "350 Grain Max", and maybe the RL-7 load recipe.

The WWI Kar 98 is standard 98 length but a small ring, so, as Tom said, it will fit into a 98 stock. To be technical, the military trigger is slightly different from a Gew 98 military trigger, but only a small difference.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Read my post; based on your title, you have a large ring 98. If so, drive on with any loads you like.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good stuff! Thanks Men, in that case, i'll pour a half pound of lead shot in the forearm and butt, have the stock painted a nice blue/black/purple "camo bruise pattern"

500 grains at 2150 will still rock plenty good in a 10.25 pound rifle.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Read my post; based on your title, you have a large ring 98. If so, drive on with any loads you like.

Early morning pre-coffee, b looked like an a to me. As Tom says, if it's a Large Ring, you are good to go.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
And I don't drink coffee, so morning, noon, or night, my head is cloudy all the time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got the rifle in question out this morning, it feeds and ejects perfectly, the loads for my old FN Browning Safari 458 are 450gr TSX and BBW #13 solids, and 500gr PP Woodleighs and Partitions, it ate them all just fine, get a little paperwork out of the way and i'll put it on the bench and see how it shoots.

All metal is midnight blue cerakote, including the 3X Leupold with #4 heavy German reticle, it'd make someone a fine Alaskan all game hunting rifle.