Find
Notify
Tools

Inletting Compounds
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted
I have used inletting black in the past and it works well on the stocks I was doing.

This time I have a particularly dark piece of wood to the point where it is almost black itself.

I went looking for inletting white. Miles Gilbert used to market it and I can't find it anywhere.

Suggestions please?

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Bright red lipstick or just about any color you fancy. Cheap at walmart. Big Grin

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Never tried that but there are some very light colors available including white. I'll give it a shot.

Dave

Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jerrows makes inletting gold, last I got was from Track of the Wolf or maybe Brownells.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Vaseline colored with lipstick. Goes on with a brush.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Vaseline colored with lipstick

I've also added talc or lamp back depending on stock color.

Just don't get caught with the wife's favorite tube of lip-gloss. Wink

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Reverend Recoil
posted Hide Post
Permatex Prussian blue will work.

DR #2276, P-100 2021

One of Us
posted Hide Post
drhall,

The oils in either vaseline or lipstick will migrate into the wood possibly staining it and preventing any bedding compound from adhering.Better to use Jerrows gold ,brushed on thin,and then examine the metal each time you remove it to see where and how hard the contact is.
Dave

Posts: 437 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I have used Prussian Blue for years. It will stain maple, myrtle and beech wood. On these woods I used to use kerosene soot. I have found that the Prussian Blue staining tends to blend into the grain of english and french walnut. On dark wood and glass stocks I use Prussian Blue and just look for wet or shiny spots.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave wesbrook:
drhall,

The oils in either vaseline or lipstick will migrate into the wood possibly staining it and preventing any bedding compound from adhering.Better to use Jerrows gold ,brushed on thin,and then examine the metal each time you remove it to see where and how hard the contact is.
Dave

Thanks. Good point. Hadn't thought of that. Not to mention my idea of white lipstick is apparently not doable unless I wait for Halloween. Not sure what this wood is but it is very tight grained and nearly black in color. I have to order some stuff from Midway so I'll add the Gold on to that. If they haven't discontinued it as well.

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I heard a rumor about people using epoxies to fill and hide poor inletting. But I never believed it to be true ! he he he he he he

popcorn

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
I found vaseline,lipstick, etc so darn thick,. you will get false readings

I use lampblack and oil. Never had issues even with very dark wood, but you might try artists "
Chinese white" water soluble and can be brushed very thin.
Aniline dyes (powder) would seem .like a good choice, but very unhealthy (read label)

Good point on the Chinese White. Guess I have become myopic in my later years. Can't seem to think outside the box. Water colors would work fine. That stuff is less than $3.00 a tube here in Michael's or Hobby Lobby. Thanks.

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane,

You know that I don't use bedding compound on my custom stocks any more than you do. Many do however, so I offered that advise. I do use it to correct factory bedding and on the few McMillan stocks that I own.

Yes Jerrows used to be too thick, now it is almost too thin.

Judging from the pictures of your bench, YOU ARE DEFINITELY MESSY.

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave wesbrook:
Speerchucker
I don't have gaps in my inletting,ANYWHERE.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used Jerrows for years until Clayton Nelson introduced me to Prussian Blue for wood. I am now a convert. You apply it very thin with an acid brush to prevent false impressions. Not very messy that way Duane ! I noticed David Miller and Curt Crum use it too. Last but not least the stuff lasts a very long time.

Midway sold some inletting white which I tried. It did not transfer very well and dried up in the jar even though the lid was screwed on tight.

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
I used Prussian Blue in the machine shop years ago and it was messy. Started going with some of the other layout dyes as the seemed to actually dry.

Dave

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
I use Prussian Blue and just look for wet or shiny spots.

I was told to use flour for that.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
I use Prussian Blue and just look for wet or shiny spots.

I was told to use flour for that.

I haven't heard that one in decades.

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
he he he he he
Yup. Throw flour !
Never try to organize the confusion Duane! It just confuses the organization.

The most accurate is still the old British method. Get an old lab lamp, fluff out the wick, flood it and black the parts. It takes a while before you stop letting your elbow into the lamp and you consume copious amounts of coffee waiting for small parts to cool but it works well and gives a double image on both the part and wood. It also never gives those pesky ghost images from the spotting compound going on too thick.

Rod Henrickson

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use JARROW GOLD, it works fine and you can wipe it down a bit as things get closer to finish, I have not found it thick at all,especially if wiped...I find lipstick very thick and again needs a wipe down with your fingers to get a thin coating, messy and cute! Roll Eyes

Jack belk has been known to use typewriter carbon paper "wipe down/on", and it's very, very, thin, but not sure how it would work on black wood??

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I use dry erase markers. Blue in particular. May not be ideal for the really dark wood that the OP mentions, but it is fine for everything I've done. Not messy at all and very thin.

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
That's what I like about this place, all sorts of good ideas.

Dave