Find
Notify
Tools

Mannlicher nose cap
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
Thinking of doing something different on a mannlicher stock. I saw this on an M1 Carbine stock.

Use a Trapdoor nose cap. Was thinking of either blending the valley in with weld or adding a fake rod.

Not traditional.. I know.

Posts: 6379 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Great idea, really. I like it. Those nose caps originate from the 1855 Harpers Ferry Rifle as you know.. The last ML rifle produced in the US by a Federal factory.

Posts: 17089 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Years ago I saw one done with a Mauser 98 nose cap. The bayo lug was cut flush and the band was cut just forward of the cross pin hole. The upper band was then modified by shortening it proportionally to the nose cap and removing the part that wrapped over the top of the barrel. Leaving enough that the barrel was captured by it. Finally it was soldered to the nosecap and finished. Gave a pleasing Schnabel effect.

Posts: 3664 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clever, and I bet it will look great.

I wonder if there's a way you could fill the valley with nickel silver or brass insert and make it into a widow's peak detail like the ebony insert on Winchester high wall and low wall stocks. Probably too hard.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Easy; TIG weld in a piece.

Posts: 17089 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Will be tigged up. Have to cut the rod back.

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Not sure if this is of any help , but I made the original snobble on my LSA 303-25 out of a Mauser '98 bayonet lug. Cut off the lug, round off the front end and weld on a piece of flat sheet to form the front radius.....sorry about the poor pics.... oversimplified, but thats it basically...

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
This is very interesting. Too bad I sold a bucket of Mauser parts years ago.