Find
Notify
Tools

73 year old eyes needs larger gold bead
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted
Recently got my Browning 1895 back from getting reamed and re-rifled to 375 Whelen. The factory gold bead is way to small to use with Redfield receiver sight.
I'm thinking of installing a NEGC barrel band front sight, this sight has white bead, appears to be small.
Any suggestions sure would be appreciated

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depending on which banded sight you plan to use, there's quite a few different options for sight inserts. The Masterpiece and Classic Ramp offer the most options for inserts. Fiberoptic, gold, or white. The white is available in 3/32 (fairly small) or 4mm which is around .150 (pretty big).

Posts: 571 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you need optics instead.

Posts: 19362 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I put this exact sight on a 95 for a guy from Idaho about 4 years ago. On a NECG banded front ramp.https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/proddetail.php?prod=4215

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I put this exact sight on a 95 for a guy from Idaho about 4 years ago. On a NECG banded front ramp.https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/proddetail.php?prod=4215

Thanks for your response. My original idea was exactly what you suggested. I was over taken with laziness and caution and thought there may be an easier way. I used the NECG for a 375 Whelen on a Mark X that I had a Douglas barrel installed.
Any suggestions on how to get the factory front sightr off the model 95?

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Heat and beat it.
I have not removed one for a few years so I forgot; only that they will come off. Might be brazed on.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
they used to sell a cutter for the NECG inserts ..

the '95 is likely to be sided for drifting out

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Big square flat faced sourdough front. No comparison for hunting.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I meant removing the entire ramp, not the blade. Of course, those are just dovetailed in.
Milling out for the front loaded, Recknagel inserts, would require a very small DT cutter. Which I don't have. First remove the existing cross dovetail. I'd put a new ramp on it; banded looks best. Albeit $icy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have a barrel mounted, dovetailed ramp, order a matching sight by Marble. They have several bead and height options. I have the large white bead on all my CF Marlins with the Williams peep rear.

(You can't fix stupid)
Falls of Rough Ky University
Our victory cry is FORK U!

Posts: 217 | Location: Falls of Rough, KY | Registered: 29 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I could not find a front bead as large as the Recknagel one, from Marble.
If they make one, Please post that. I could have missed it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Largest I have found at Marble's and elsewhere is 3/32", I would also love something bigger in a std dovetail front sight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know about this application.

I put 3/32" white spots on my .54 M/L.
Cured not being able to see the front
sight.

Midway has a real good selection. By far
easier to figure them out if you happen to
have access to one of the old Big Books. Glad
I kept the one I have. I can't find shit on their online site.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Here is the math:
1/16th bead: .0625 OD
3/32nd bead: .09375
The NECG night bead: .150

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only my opinion, but I think a banded ramp would be alittle out of place on a 95.

Look over the Reknagel (NECG) offerings, I'd bet you can find a suitable ramp with the European dovetail.

I think they offer screw on ramps which might make installation easy. If you're REALLY careful, you should be able to remove the old ramp without barrel damage.

I've made 3/16" beads (.187") using warthog tusk (never yellows).

A cheap way would be to install a blank in the DT slot and put on a threaded shot gun bead..Not all that fragile...But height might be an issue

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Heat and beat it.
I have not removed one for a few years so I forgot; only that they will come off. Might be brazed on.

Again thank you. I may just grind it down then silver soldier the barrel band from NEGC

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Actually the banded ramps don't look terrible on the 95. Then you can put the sling band on too. Use Force 44; not real silver solder. It melts at like 450 degrees. And actually, you could install them like Ruger does; fit tight and use the set screw. But I always solder them on.