Find
Notify
Tools

Stockmaker show and tell
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Angus Morrison
posted Hide Post
Still underway, but getting there, for a 3 3/4lb Hagn 5.6x50 Mag, started as a plank.

Posts: 534 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see that the photo site Hunt101.com went down and all the pictures of this project are not showing. I saved the pictures on my own PC so they are available. The site owner says it will be back up, but I don't know when this will show up again. My pictures are on the DVD or USB if anyone want the complete files.

Which site is the best place to put pictures for this AR forum?

Thanks,

Les

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Brooks

You could try this one.

https://postimages.org/

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Without pictures to show how this project developed I will ask for the project to end.

Thanks to all that may have followed this article. I hope it has helped!!!

Les Brooks, retired gunsmith

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LesBrooks:
The purpose of making a stock without power tools is for a few people wanting to know how some of us have make stock in the past. Everyone has to start somewhere to learn and then they can add knowledge to their skills from all of us that have made this trade our income for many years. TSJC class of ‘63
Some people will have a different opinions on how to make a stock, but I will try to explain my method of approach. Dimensions, shapes, styles, and types of wood are the choice of the person wanting a custom stock. I have made all styles of custom stocks to please the customer. This AR gunsmithing forum seems to like only classic styles. Mr Roy Weatherby probably made more money than anyone that has started a gun company in the custom field. You may not like his style of stocks, but he had the best BS going to convince a customer to buy his guns. It kept us alive working on his styles of the ’50’s and ’60’s.
The AR gunsmithing forum has some very good craftsman showing their work. I am not active in a business nor am I wanting to advertise for any work. I retired a few years ago and do not wish to become active again. The stock which I will show is for my use and it is the LAST STOCK which I will attempt to make. This started out with me winning a barrel from Kreiger at TSJC at our 60th anniversary. I wanted another light varmint rifle to carry in the field. The 204 Ruger looked real good for long range from the reports I read on the AR forums. Bought the wood from Charles Grace and found a mini Mauser rifle in south Texas for the project. Now lets get started

posted Hide Post
Just read this entire thread. Even without the pictures, it’s truly educational and inspirational.

In the process of building a workbench for my own use. The pictures above are being used as a guide.

Thank you, sir!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was trying to see if I could repost and put new pictures for the thread to be complete again.

Jeffrey the USB I sent to you will have all of the pictures to view like they were in the first time around. I took out all of the people asking questions on the original postings and tried to make the write up so people could understand the process of making a stock.

I was trying to find the original 6 pages and tried adding a picture today from a different hosting site. Hope I helped you and if you like what you see tell others.

One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to bump this up and let everybody know that Les still has USBs and DVDs available. He just sent me a copy this past week and would love to share his information with budding stockmakers and gunsmiths.

Thanks Les!

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PWS:
Just wanted to bump this up and let everybody know that Les still has USBs and DVDs available. He just sent me a copy this past week and would love to share his information with budding stockmakers and gunsmiths.

Thanks Les!

Agreed.
I have recently received the usb from Mr. Brooks as well. Great info, and a great man to deal with. He’s sent me some additional advice and information also.

Highly recommend his information.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am trying to use a pic to show the finish rifle from this write up.

This is one of the best shooting rifles I have owned. I hope to do some varmint hunting soon.\
Les Brooks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will be going back to the beginning and repost the pictures from a different host site. This will help you people to see how I worked.

I will be adding a few pictures a week and it will take some time to replace the pictures.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus Morrison:
Still underway, but getting there, for a 3 3/4lb Hagn 5.6x50 Mag, started as a plank.

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Where do travels have you now in Texas? If ever near the Tyler area you should come visit!

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1017 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been holed up near Waco for several months. Medical problems has us grounded for Drs appointments. Maybe we will be able to come over that way to Shilen's for a new barrel for a new Rem short action (17 or 20 cal.???) I said I would never make another stock, but I may have to cut another one. It has been over 10 yrs since the last one in 204 Ruger was written up on AR'

I could stop in Athens if I get over that way.

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
You’d be welcome to use the shop as well. Has all the goodies a guy could want, other than duplicator.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1017 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using rust bluing with the old water boiling in tanks since 1960. I took the formula from early books. It took a little time to learn how to get a good blue on guns. 3 or 4 yrs ago I decided to try the steam tubes to blue my 204 Ruger. I made up the system for less the $100 and it was so much better than the old boiling tanks. Try this for your own guns and get the stainless steel wire wheels from Brownells. I use a 3/8 drill motor to turn about 400 rpm and it came out very good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is another pic of my setup for rust bluing. This is easy to make and use. The middle section has a joint so I could shorten the work area down to the level of the bench. The stainless steel strainer holds the small parts.

This type of setup is the best as most of my rust bluing was done in a hot water tank boiling parts. NEVER AGAIN IN A TANK!!!

Bobster has a good site to explain his method. I would recommend you try bluing an older gun to see how things go. My first try in rust bluing started in 1960 with tanks and home made bluing solution. This steam method is the best I have tried.

Brownell's has all tools needed except for the 3/8's drill motor. Run slower and set the speed to around 400 rpm.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
PM coming shortly Les.
quote:
I am trying to use a pic to show the finish rifle from this write up.

This is one of the best shooting rifles I have owned. I hope to do some varmint hunting soon.\
Les Brooks

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would also like to thank Les for this very informative thread on stock making. It is the best that I have been able to find on the internet. Even without all of the pictures it taught me what I need to know to make a stock.

I have 4 rifles to restock. 3 small ring mausers and a carcano. I have never made a stock before. The carcano will be first. I plan to make the blank out of baltic birch plywood. No sense learning on an expensive piece of walnut. I wanted a laminated stock for this rifle anyway.

I will also need to blue these rifles. A thread on steam bluing would be good. Or maybe a post or two on this thread giving the details on steam bluing would be sufficient.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Go to Bobster's web site and you will see about rust bluing, including the steam tube method, which is all I use.
The site name is hard to remember; www.rustblue.com.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a great thread. Thanks to all.
Les, that is a "perfect" rifle/stock!
Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lester Brooks
posted Hide Post
I have been off of the AR forums for a few weeks. I had to change my password and email address, so now I can be reached by the list in my profile on the gunsmith section. Hope this will post and maybe I can post a few more articles on gunsmithing.

Thanks, Lester Brooks, Look up posts under: LesBrooks which was my old name on topics

Posts: 89 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 December 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lester Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Angus Morrison:

One of Us
Picture of Lester Brooks
posted Hide Post
I am asking that my post by moved into the regular flow of posting on the AR. If someone wants to contact me send me an email as shown in the PM info. My age is catching up with me and some times it is time to quit. Thanks to all that have followed my post and I hope that it has started some new stock making people.

Thanks, to all and now I am signing off

Les Brooks, TSC-1963, now retiring