Find
Notify
Tools

Timney Sportsman Triggers Discontinued
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted
Am I right, did Timney really discontinue the Sportsman? Brownells says they did.
Why?

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually buy from Graf & Sons dealer web site and they're not available there, either. All the 'snipers' need a trigger that'll adjust to a lower pull weight than the Sportsman, so the Featherweight most likely is a better seller.

Posts: 669 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I always thought two pounds min was fine for anything.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I always thought two pounds min was fine for anything.

That, and the 98 Sportsman didn't require a flat bottom cocking piece like the Featherweight does.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4857 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If they just re-brand the trigger the Sniper-LR and double the price, it will sell like crazy. The truth is, times and markets are changing faster than some of us are. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3491 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes Timney dropped the whole sportsman Mauser line in January this year.

Guess we are not reworking enough Mauser's for them to keep making them.

Plus they upped the cost of the remaining Sportsman triggers, ( Enfield ) almost to the same cost as the Featherweight triggers

So now I made a new fixture to hold the receiver upside down so I can use a small carbide end mill to open the sear slot in the Mauser receivers to work on the Feather weight triggers.

I sent the bill for the fixture to Timney last month but all I have heard is crickets.

J Wisner

Posts: 1411 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Shame, have had a Timney Sportsman M98 trigger on my Type A Oberndorf 404 for 40 years now, breaks like glass and never changed. Collectors item soon I guess.

Posts: 3826 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, if you open the slot you don't need a flat bottomed cocking piece?

Posts: 422 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With the current M98/FN Featherwight Timney triggers

The front edge of the sear is square, thus the rounded sear slot in the receiver will not allow it to drop down to let the rifle fire.

The sear slot needs to be opened up and made square in the front to allow the sear to pivot down and then let the cocking piece pass by the top of the sear

I currently have a Arg 1909 and a Steyr 1912, M98's in the shop with the military cocking pieces and the current Timney Feather weight trigger and both work just fine.

Timney redid the top of the sear so it is flat and with a small bevel on the top front. This shape will keep the sear down once the military cocking piece is forward, and then the small bevel is so the front edge of the sear will not hang up on the joint from the cocking piece/rear of the bolt and hang up when the bolt is moved to the rear.

J Wisner

Posts: 1411 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blackburn triggers bound on me also and needed the slot reworked. I have used older featherweights and never needed a flat cocking piece. I haven’t bought one in years though

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, that is what I needed to know; and it is good that they recognized the issues of the FW combined with a military cocking piece, and made the changes to accommodate the set up. So I won't have to weld inserts into any more cocking piece bottoms.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've swicthed to the Recknagel..No issues with anything..and...they can get a litle lower han 2 # if you just really, re4ally think you gotta have that. too much "sniper bullshit"mentality

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They probably needed the machine time for all AR and 'tactical' triggers they make now. I looked on Timneys' web site last night, and they still show the Sportsman but at the same retail price as the Featherweight.

Posts: 669 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
If you have not tried them, Jard triggers are all I buy anymore. Closest thing to a Canjar and reasonably priced.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2247 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Recknagel triggers as well, good stuff.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Just tried my first 98 Recknagle trigger a few months ago. Smooth as any of my Sportsman triggers. Glad I bought an extra one now.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Timney is also selling a bunch of Win 70 and Rem 700 replacement triggers. Gees I always liked the Sportsman line the best too!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I think they bumped the wrong trigger. FW's would have been no big loss.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I got two in from Brownells yesterday; I'll report how they work out of the box.