New
Find
Notify
Tools

where to purchase an inletting lamp
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to do a little bit of inletting. I have a couple of small containers of Jarrow's inletting black. But that stuff seems greasy and messy.

On U-tube there are a few videos that show some folks using a small lamp to make smoke for the medium that makes the inletting marks.

Where does one purchaae one of those lamps and what kind of fuel makes good inletting smoke?

KJK

Posts: 678 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Don't think that soot is any less messy than the black inletting black; it isn't. It is very inconvenient to use. Flame and all the soot you are depositing on your shop.
You can use any small oil lamp, or even a candle. Ebay is full of them.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Make it yourself. 50:50 mix of artist's black oil paint and petroleum jelly.

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have just used a kerosene lamp

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1504 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nearest antique store. Get the cheapest oil lamp they have and throw away the top part.

Posts: 50 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: 01 December 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got mine from Rio Grande jewelry. It's an alcohol lamp used my jewelers. The lamp and an extra pack of wicks and you are good to go. I'm sure any jewelry supply would have it. Kerosene from wally mart instead of alcohol.
I tried the rub on but much prefer to smoke in the parts.

Posts: 79 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 28 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you think inletting black is messy just wait until you try soot

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any smallish glass bottle with a screw-on lid can work.
Punch a hole in the lid the right size to hold whatever piece of rope you want to use as a wick, fill with Paraffin (I am sure there are concoctions that produce more soot but Paraffin works just fine).

That way, when you decide that inletting black works better, then you haven't spent any real money.

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
I can’t help with your question here, but check out this thread on DIY stock making:

https://forum.accurateshooter....king-thread.3923285/

Do you have Dave Wesbrook’s book on stockmaking? The back of the book shows what tools he used.

I’m interested in doing the same. I’ll start with putting new barreled actions into a couple of used stocks.

Posts: 7480 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
some guys steal lipstick from the wife and use it for inletting.

I use Prussian Bluing it is a light non drying blue grease used in Machining for fitting parts like bearings to shafts.

Amazon has it.

Search Prussian Bluing.

Look real close and you can see the Prussian Blue on the barrel

Posts: 1449 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LongDistanceOperator:
I can’t help with your question here, but check out this thread on DIY stock making:

https://forum.accurateshooter....king-thread.3923285/

Do you have Dave Wesbrook’s book on stockmaking? The back of the book shows what tools he used.

I’m interested in doing the same. I’ll start with putting new barreled actions into a couple of used stocks.

Sadly Dave Wesbrook died a couple of years ago. I think his book is out of print. You may be able to find one on ebay but expect high prices. Also try Amazon, they may have a copy lost somewhere in one of their monster warehouses.

Luckily I bought a copy about 10 year ago.

Very good book. Dave was a little difficult to get along with but he was a great stock maker and really knew the trade.

Posts: 1449 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cheap black lipstick from the Dollar Store or like store. It's pretty hard to find most of the year but we are entering the season now (Halloween). It works great.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WoodHunter:
some guys steal lipstick from the wife and use it for inletting.

I use Prussian Bluing it is a light non drying blue grease used in Machining for fitting parts like bearings to shafts.

Amazon has it.

Search Prussian Bluing.

Look real close and you can see the Prussian Blue on the barrel

I have a really dark walnut stock. I might try lipstick so I can see it better than inletting black.

Is that a Kimball vise???

Posts: 7480 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Neatest one I've seen was an 8oz. PVC glue can with the dauber removed from the top. The bottom of a 30-30 case was drilled out, the proper sized hole drilled in the can top, the case slipped in from the bottom and soldered around the rim. Add cotton wick and kerosene.

Posts: 1679 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Recoil Rob:
Neatest one I've seen was an 8oz. PVC glue with the dauber removed from the top. The bottom of a 30-30 case was drilled out, the proper sized hole drilled in the can top, the case slipped in from the bottom and soldered around the rim. Add cotton wick and kerosene.

You can get empty glue cans at a plumbing supply store (I’m a plumber). Does it work better than a ready made lamp???

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
quote:
if you think inletting black is messy just wait until you try soot

THANK YOU!!!
You guys are searching for a solution to a completely non existent problem.
(Yes, I started out using soot; what a mess) And where do you think all the soot you don't use on your parts goes? Think about it.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably not, just looks better...

quote:
Originally posted by LongDistanceOperator:
quote:
Originally posted by Recoil Rob:

You can get empty glue cans at a plumbing supply store (I’m a plumber). Does it work better than a ready made lamp???

Posts: 1679 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
duplicate

one of us
posted Hide Post
duplicate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Why?

KJK

Posts: 678 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use prussian blue for inletting, I take a plastic 35mm film canister and cut an opening in the lid to fit an old toothbrush. Squeeze a quantity of prussian blue into the film canister, apply with the toothbrush. When not using insert the brush into the film canister and snap the lid. The best no mess solution I've found.

Posts: 384 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 22 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:
quote:

Why?

I work in ivory a lot. Soot doesn't stain it. Same with working very light colored woods.
Hey; we all like what we like. Some of the experts gave you their opinion of how you should work, they didn't try to answer your question.
I tried the modified bottles and cans first. Get one made for the job. Night and day difference.
two cents worth

Posts: 79 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 28 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kolo pan:

PM your mailing info. and I will send you a small burner on a half cup size glass base complete with a wick and snuffing cap.
I've had it for years and never used it.

Then you can learn firsthand what Tom has been trying to tell you.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used inletting black for years until Clayton Nelson told me to try Prussian Blue . You apply it very thin with a tooth brush. It gives more accurate impressions than inletting black, easy to clean up. It shows up well on dark wood too. You can buy it at your local automotive parts store. It's not expensive, lasts a long time.

I see some metal smiths using kerosene lamps for metal fitting.

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To add something different to the mix. I am color blind, and dark blue (Prussian Blue) and dark wood, is VERY difficult for me to see the difference.

When I learned scraping, the gentleman who taught me was older and he used a product called canode die spotting ink. I use red and yellow for scraping, and though I have not tried it on stocks yet, but I think it would be the ticket.

The contrast between the two really highlight the areas that need to be removed. The best part, is unlike prussian blue, you can wash up with water.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Carbide lamp. We used to use them for blacking open sights when shooting Bullseye on an uncovered range. Years later I used it for shooting handgun metallic silhouette matches.

Coincidently, I just found it when I was packing last week for our move to Kentucky.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A long time back, I took a stockmaking course from Chuck Grace at Trinidad State. He said you could always tell the nose pickers in the course. I think of that every time I use inletting black.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 544 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I was in gunsmithing school in the early '90s (MCC class of 93) stock making by hand from a blank was still part of the curriculum (4 stocks required). I tried several different making compounds, including lamp black, gear marking compound, Vaseline with red chalk dust, but ended up settling on Jarrows Black or Gold. The speed and accuracy picked-up greatly after going to Jarrows as I had a solid mark on the work.

Posts: 677 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the greasy nature of some inletting compounds turns you off, use dry erase markers. They come in a variety of colors to suit any wood.

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote