Find
Notify
Tools

To Loctite or not Loctite scope mounts.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
Mounts, screws for scopes on hunting rifles.

Question:
So, blue Loctite is assumed. Comments welcome. Pick one.

Choices:
Yes. I use that stuff on all my mounts.
No, Never had a problem without.
Yes. But, only on my dangerous game rifles.
Yes. But, only on the scope base(s).
Not unless the customer requests it.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Never, but I wouldn’t ever install cheap bases/rings with soft screws that will shoot loose.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2933 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only on my bases
bb

Posts: 391 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Toomanytools: Define cheap bases/screws please. Aluminum Weavers?The screws were fine on a pair I had used on a Gewehr 98. The metal very soft. So, I switched to steel bases. QUOTE]Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
Never, but I wouldn’t ever install cheap bases/rings with soft screws that will shoot loose.[/QUOTE]

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Putting the rings on dry. There are no bases, Brno 22 with dovetail bridges.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're REALLY worried about rings slipping, paint on a bit of liquid electrical tape..This tip from NECG...Buehler used something of the sort for decades on the inside of his rings.

The use of loc tit e in any color is not needed. Screw on the bases TIGHT, then fit the driver in the slot and give the handle a good whack with a medium weight hammer. You'll be able to draw up the screw another 1/8-1/4 turn.

I've done this on countless heavies, never had a base come loose..even on 500's.

This is not a new idea..and it doesn't come in a tube.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
No worries Duane. The 7X57 caliber is mild in recoil. I'll be setting the torque at 15 I.P. No bases to mount though. Factory dovetail bridges on a Brno 22F (post above corrected/specified).
I used the tap idea before. Great idea as is the liquid tape. Time for a fresh bottle. You had mentioned that one a few years ago and can you believe it - I never forgot it.
Cheers.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i generally just take some clear nail polish to bases .... it serves the purpose, but it's VERY easy to remove with heat

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38379 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Custom...I'm sure you're OK with that one. Don't know if there's an end to the giant scopes they keep designing for "light weight" hunting rifles.

Lee Le Bas t ells me that some Europeans have resorted to actually permanently gluing (Epoxy) the rings to the scope.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
DW I think so. Now, I have 3 (different brand) brand new T10 hex bits that don't fit the screws. This is a first. Hand screwdrivers fit great.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have use some on a few rifles.

I have used none on many rifles.

I have never hand a problem with the scope mounts on a Ruger rifle MKI or MKII coming loose. stir

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used blue loctite on bases and rings for many years, then stopped using it about 15 years ago. I don’t shoot big boomers, 7 rem mag is my biggest and I mostly shoot 22 center fires and smaller. I’ve had zero issues on dozens of rifles since quitting loctite.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Toomanytools: Define cheap bases…
[/QUOTE]

For a start, anything with “see through” in the description. Big Grin

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2933 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Hah! I call 'em neck stretcher mounts.

quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Toomanytools: Define cheap bases…

For a start, anything with “see through” in the description. Big Grin[/QUOTE]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt more than most, been in the hunting business or more than 40 years..I use red loctite or glass bed compound on base screws. I use a thin coat leather glue on ring insides and I clean ring screws and threads with lighter fluid or whatever..and have gone to torx screws...Its a precaustion to not ruin or jumble up a hunting trip..and its worked for many years...I use a cooking butane torch with a tiny flame on the screws and they come right out, even the glass bedding...You can remove glass bedding in your rifle by heating it with a hair dryer...Use the red loctite its tougher..

Its not shooting thats the problem, its packign that gun in a pickup over dirt roads, and in a saddle scabbard..Wanna watch your cross hairs turn carry your gun every day for a month or two in the truck on a ranch or in a saddle scabbard, I had to deal with that for years in camp, on other hunters rifles, installed by gunsmiths or salesmen as a matter of fact. A tube of red and fitted screw driver set and a know on a tree to resight on..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote