New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bottom metal for Ruger
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone make steel bottom metal for a tang-safety Ruger 77?

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 274 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
sorry, no

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38459 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No but you should be able to make a MK2 one work; I have fitted tang safety 77s to MK2 stocks by using a new floor plate, which is longer.
Compare the lengths and you will figure it out.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Tom,
OR, it's a weekend project to make one's own from a couple chucks of cold rolled from home depot, some files, and a drill

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I want to watch when you mill out that trigger guard and floor plate from a chunk of steel.
On second thought, I don't have a week of spare time....

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Making one is way past my abilities and equipment. I've got a hand saw and a hammer. Oh yes- and a pulaski.

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 274 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DPCD- thanks for the idea. I've turned an old 7 mag that I haven't shot for 15 years into a 375R. Made a new stock and would like a floorplate I can rust blue.

jmbn
Old and in the way

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jerrymontgomery:

Ruger made them for the heavy magnums (375 & 458). Long out of production, but you may find one on ebay or such.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kendog:
quote:

Ruger made them for the heavy magnums (375 & 458). Long out of production, but you may find one on ebay or such.

the RSM action has very few interchangeable parts with a 77 .. and with the tang safety version, basically the action screws MIGHT work.

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
quote:

the RSM action has very few interchangeable parts with a 77 .. and with the tang safety version, basically the action screws MIGHT work.

RSM's were made from 1990-2010. Different animal.
I am referring to the original tang safety 77's made in 458 Win Mag called the 77 RS African and 77 RS C models made between 1968 and 1991. I was wrong about the 375 having a steel TG. Matter of fact, I dont think they offered the old 77's in that caliber. Got them mixed up with No.1's! Ruger used to sell the trigger guards direct for something like $20. We used to put them on regular 77's with aluminum bottom metal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I recall making a drop box with a file for a .375 Mauser. Tony Barnes was schooling me so he milled out a blank then handed me a file with a one year deadline, I finished it in 4 months, never again, never!! had it color case hardened then sold the gun...

He then told me to make a round ball out of a square block, again, never again..but I learned how to use a file..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago I made a magazine box out of carbon fiber for a Remington. Made a simple compression mold and it was fine. Probably saved half an ounce, but I just wanted to try it. I restocked my pre-64 243 a couple of years ago, and not only made it with a blind magazine but I didn't use a box! Feeds fine.

Are we digressing?

jmbn
Old and in the way

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No demand...Blackburn made a batch many years ago..took forever to get rid of them. When I was making bottom metal, got ONE call...Offered to make 10, full price up front."You can sell the other nine.

Never heard back

Posts: 3451 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tom,
OR, it's a weekend project to make one's own from a couple chucks of cold rolled from home depot, some files, and a drill

Jeff...trouble is...someone MIGHT believe you!

Posts: 3451 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use to have a couple of sets of steel floor plates and trigger guards for tang safety Model 77's. Wonder what happened to them??? Haven't seen them in years, but they must be here somewhere.

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The tang safety .458 has a steel floorplate. You might find one on the used market. There was a company that made an aftermarket one also, but this was many years ago (1980's). I can't remember the name of the company now.

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
quote:
quote:

The tang safety .458 has a steel floorplate....

Steel TG also. Had many way back when....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Squeezenhope- I'll buy you a beer if you'll look them up.

I've got some Springfield bottom metal that I've been stumbling into for decades. Anyone want some rusty Springfield parts?

jmbn
Old and in the way

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jerry, I have been wracking my brain, but after the last move there is a lot I can't find.

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same thing, for decades, when I moved my boat shop. Parts and tools that I couldn't find, or maybe they just walked off. That's life.

Thanks for looking.

jmbn
Old and in the way

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
sorry guys, for some @#$@# reason i read FLOORPLATE not entire bottom set -- my mistake

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
quote:
quote:

The tang safety .458 has a steel floorplate....

Steel TG also. Had many way back when....

Yes, I still have a tang safety .458. I thought about upgrading my 77r's in .338 and 30-06 but never got around to it. Now kicking myself.

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
sorry guys, for some @#$@# reason i read FLOORPLATE not entire bottom set -- my mistake

No worries, mate. The memory is the second thing that goes.

Cant remember the first!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looking through Midways # 2 master catalog and on page 481 a company called Moyers has steel trigger guards and floorplates. They are listed for the tang safety Rugers in short and long action. They come up on goggle so they may still be in business

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
http://www.moyersgunrepair.com/index.php?cPath=28

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Short of a high dollar custom I don't know why one would bother, the 77 floor plate seems fine to me from a hunting standpoint, and I wouldn't normally convert a 77 to a custom rifle, I use Mausers and mod 70s for that.

Ive seen in print/magazines where the option was because the aluminum bottom metal breaks, but you hear a lot of BS in magazines...Nobody is rougher than I on a gun, and Ive never broke any bottom metal in the last 85.90 years.. old

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I'm not worried about the aluminum. I used this rifle as a 7 mag for a couple of decades for elk but replaced it with a 338 (another M- 77, so it seems the best way to put together a Buffalo rifle so I made it into a 375 Ruger. I had previously refined the stock; re-shaped much of it, recheckered the forearm etc. It looks pretty nice and rust-blued underparts would set it off well. I've blued small parts in the past and they turned out fine.

I'll check out Snowman's lead before I give up. Thanks for all the help.

jmbn
Old and in the way

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
No demand...Blackburn made a batch many years ago..took forever to get rid of them. When I was making bottom metal, got ONE call...Offered to make 10, full price up front."You can sell the other nine.

Never heard back

What ever happened to Will's plan at Dexter Arms ?

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4193 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
actually ruger offered steel replacements for the aluminum, both trigger guards and floorplate, for the regular long actions. I had both that I ordered directly from Ruger. There's got to be a few out there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you haven't found one, get me an address and I will send you a rusty one you could save!

Posts: 49 | Location: the Evergreen State | Registered: 01 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Curley- Address is 3749 Rock Island Dr, People's Republic of Sacramento,
CA 95827. Ssorry for the delay; just got back from driving dirt roads in NV.

Thanks much-send me a bill with the goods.

jmbn
Old and in the way

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its on its way Jerry!

Posts: 49 | Location: the Evergreen State | Registered: 01 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It arrived today, Curly. A little elbow grease and It'll look great.

A free lunch is on it's way- thanks again.

jmbn
Old and in the way