New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for take down build
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need someone to turn a Remington 700 into a take down, any recommendations?

thanks in advance

Posts: 1049 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
The recoil lug on the 700 complicates the traditional takedown concept. There’s also the H&H style or the savage barrel nut concept, but I’d be more apt to call that a “switch barrel” thing.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1017 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 682 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, the H&H retains the receiver/barrel tightness. But the easiest to make is the Side set screw type; the barrel is held in place by a big set screw in the side of the receiver. I have also built them using two Allen screws under the wood, in the receiver but you have to remove the stock first so it is not a real "TD". Which is, you need no tools to accomplish.
Lots of ways to skin that cat. Of course the most elegant is the under lever or sliding catch in the forearm. like DW does.
That type costs money.....
It's also much easier if you don't cut the forearm in two; then your barrel channel has to accommodate the barrel being unscrewed.
And yes, the barrel nut is very efficient, but not a true TD. as stated, more of a switch barrel.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth..I've done many a take down, but I do not think doing so with a Rem 700 as a basis is a good choice (and bad investment of time and material)

I'd suggest just taking the bbl and action out of the stock and travel with it that way.

Done a few switch barrels...kinda gimmicky in my opinion

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it doesn't have to be a 700 and it doesn't have to be a true bolt action, then the Browning BLR takedown. A lever operated bolt action. No tools required for the takedown.

Just buy the thing. The BLR is the cause of my current insanity.

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
https://hsprecision.com/product/ptd-takedown-rifle/

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1827 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Interesting; why do they use that collar on the barrel?

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

headspace I would guess

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1827 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Just for fun or interest, you don't need take down: https://youtu.be/Nh9KdATUn_s

Jiri

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I though about that, but the collar has a lug that fits into a slot in the barrel.
Headspace adjustment I mean.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd guess it's a way to keep the "joint" snug...Not sure if an interrupted thread wears more than a full thread...Never been able to prove that either way.

Some swear that an acme thread never wears...others that square threads never wears..Personally...I think ALL threads will wear to some point..depending on use

My Dad's 16 ga M-12 was snug after 50 years of hard Minnesota duck hunting. But he took it apart only to clean

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

headspace I would guess

I have added new front ends to two HS precession rifles because the client wanted 2 barrel sets. The collar is for thread wear not headspace. A complicated system and not one I would replicate again willingly. The fore end glued to the barrel really threw me off. Special glue but still strange. The threads are interrupted V threads.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skb:
The collar is for thread wear not headspace

Read that aloud....

What happens to headspace when the thread wears????

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.Randys is a year out. Possibly the BLR is the way to go for what I need.

Posts: 1049 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Read that aloud....

The threads wear and the barrel becomes loose. To tighten it back up you loosen the screws in the face plate on the fore end and turn the collar slightly. This pushes the datum line for the chamber FARTHER away from the bolt face and INCREASES headspace. The collar is not to adjust for headspace. This why it is best to chamber this system so the bolt barely closes on a go gauge.

Here is the patent on the HS system.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US5020260A/en

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ah; so the adjustment system actually uses two pieces; a rear plate that is indexed to slots in the barrel shank, and a collar, which rotates. Couldn't tell from the picture.
Easy to understand; and totally unnecessary. And yes, it would increase headspace because the barrel itself can't move rearward. Only forward. Still, not something to worry about; more TDs are worn out showing their friends how it works than from actual use.
I, too, have my father's 16 ga Model 12 from the 50s; still tighht and I have not adjusted the thread collar; which is a totally different system, that does work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Read that aloud....

The threads wear and the barrel becomes loose. To tighten it back up you loosen the screws in the face plate on the fore end and turn the collar slightly. This pushes the datum line for the chamber FARTHER away from the bolt face and INCREASES headspace. The collar is not to adjust for headspace. This why it is best to chamber this system so the bolt barely closes on a go gauge.

Here is the patent on the HS system.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US5020260A/en

Thanks for posting that. Interesting to see the different approaches,,..in the 1920's Barney Worthen used a relatively simple collar on the barrel.

Downside is that would also tend to increase headspace.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The best there is (sorry coffee):

It does require a T-handled hex wrench, however. Cool

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13328 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I think if a tool is required, might just as well be a screwdriver to take normal gun apart.

Near the end of a gun show, Gary Goudy was frantically attempting to find an allen wrench so he could take apart a Dakota..he only had a take down case and needed to catch a plane.

Moral: If you have to use a tool, better staple it to your forehead so you can't possibly lose it.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Exactly.
Why not just make the TD mechanism simple, and forget about adjusting headspace; it won't increase. If it does, it wasn't fitted correctly to start with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thirdbite:
In the same vein, l would like to know who might convert a rifle to the take-apart style like the H&H. It seems all that is required is cutting and fitting the top tang and changing the front guard screw so it doesn't screw out of the bottom metal.

"converting" is' not that easy. At the rear, a strong hold down is required so something like a claw mount can be attached to the tang.

At the front, the common method is a guard screw attached to an extended floor plate hinge. Seen this done and after a pretty short time, the screw over indexes.

All in all..you don't really gain much. You still have a package that is no smaller than just taking the barrel and action out of the stock....But...yes, no tools needed.

Admittedly, could sometimes be desirable

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
The shortest bolt action you will get is the greater of these two:

Barrel length = 22"
front ring of action to recoil pad = 20-21" (SA Rem 700)

Min = 22"

-----------
If you popped a remm700 out of the stock you get 29"
The stock would be 32"

Almost forgot the scope - add inches depending on your eye relief

maybe use a chassis with a folding stock

Min = 29"
-----------

Just thinking out loud.

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
....Gary Goudy was frantically attempting to find an allen wrench so he could take apart a Dakota......

Dakota is a different animal. They came out just after I quit working there. The takedown system is based on the M16 barrel extension as the receiver lugs are screwed onto the barrel "permanently". This idea wasn't spawned by Don as he had no interest in gas guns. Marty Bordson (Badger Ordnance) got the ball rolling and I'm sure the Mack Bros had a hand in the development as well. The headspace never wears out. Pretty sure I've seen one of the German 98 clone manufacturers using this same system.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Moral: If you have to use a tool, better staple it to your forehead so you can't possibly lose it.

Big Grin

I hear you. It is definitely too big to hang on a key chain!

And I did even once lose my keys.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13328 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote