New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stevens Crackshot 26 Barrel Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What other model's barrels will fit this receiver? This is not the side lever model.

I am rehabilitating one, and the barrel is pretty rough both inside and out. The outside is rough enough that I am not inclined to put any work into relining it.

Just looking at photos, a model 15 or 14 1/2 may fit.

Thanks for the help.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn, I was hoping for a bite on this one. Oh well.

Thanks for looking.

Jeremy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bought a NOS barrel from a feller in Irving, Tx. He was in the old Stevens parts business. No I don't remember his name. I think the barrel was $75. Been a while, but will search.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any leads would be great. I am pretty sure there are a couple of models that used the same barrel, just different stocks, or names.

But I have very limited knowledge of these little rifles.

Jeremy

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Can it be "sleeved" like is done to a shotgun?

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will look at my checkbook tomorrow. I think if you do a google search or go to the ASSRA forum and ask there.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grenadier,

I could reline it and clean up the exterior, but it would obliterate the roll marks. Even if the barrel is off of another model, as long as the frame is correct for it, I can rebuild this as the other model.

Making a barrel is an option as well. this is an interesting design. The chamber is not at the centerline of the barrel. It is offset about 0.1" up to line up the firing pin. Turning it would be a little challenging. Not horrible, though.

Jeremy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
Any leads would be great. I am pretty sure there are a couple of models that used the same barrel, just different stocks, or names.

But I have very limited knowledge of these little rifles.

Jeremy

All I have is the guys name off my checkbook-John Kubaca. Spelling may be wrong. I've bought from Wisners and Numrich some Stevens parts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mucas Gracias Senoir Butch. I'll see where that leads me.

After a little more research it looks like the model 15 and 14 1/2 may work. A model 26 barrel would be ideal, but I am not a purist.

Jeremy

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
Grenadier,

I could reline it and clean up the exterior, but it would obliterate the roll marks. Even if the barrel is off of another model, as long as the frame is correct for it, I can rebuild this as the other model. Making a barrel is an option as well. this is an interesting design. The chamber is not at the centerline of the barrel. It is offset about 0.1" up to line up the firing pin. Turning it would be a little challenging. Not horrible, though.
Jeremy, I wasn't talking about relining. When I said "sleeved" like a shotgun barrel I meant taking another barrel, new or from a similar arm, and turning the chamber end down. Then the original barrel is cut off in front of the chamber and the chamber drilled out to accommodate the chamber end of the replacement barrel. Sort of like doing a mono-block. I think you may be able to find similar barrels fairly easily, perhaps from other Stevens or Savage models made for the same or other frames. Whether or not you can sleeve your particular action is beyond me. I was just offering an idea that you might not have considered.

This is what I meant by sleeve like a shotgun barrel:

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got it. I see what you were getting at. I obviously wasn't thinking that direction at all. My vocabulary for shotgun gunsmithing is limited.

That may be possible. There seem to be a lot of barrels for the model 16 and various favorite models.

Thank you for the explanation.

Jeremy