Find
Notify
Tools

Rechamber and Barrel Length
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted
I have a 6mm Remington Improved with a 24 inch barrel. If I rechambered to 6XC, how much will my barrel length change?

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prewar70:
I have a 6mm Remington Improved with a 24 inch barrel. If I rechambered to 6XC, how much will my barrel length change?

Barrel lengths are nominally measured from the bolt or breach face to the muzzle so rechambering does not change this measurement.

If wanting 'true' barrel length then the measurement would be from the end of the chamber throat to the muzzle or for convenience sake from the ogive of the bullet to the muzzle. Different bullets and seating depths of course change this measurement. Just depends on how accurate you want to measure barrel length.
Deduct the cartridge overall length from the bolt face to muzzle length (barrel length) will give you 'true' barrel length without being too fussy.

Posts: 3847 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes but in his case, he wants to re-chamber for a short thing; he has a 57mm case and wants to go to a 48mm one; bottom line is that you will lose the length of the threads. Have to cut them off and re thread. Could someone just cut off a bit and chase the original threads forward? Yes but that is doing it the hard way. And if there is a relief gap in there in front of the recoil lug, then you lose a thread.
so the answer is you will lose .700 barrel length.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The neck diameter of the 6mm Remington is likely larger than the 6XC.
It may be required to cut off so the old neck ends up on body area of new chamber.

M

Posts: 1227 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prewar70:

WHY??!?!?!? FFS -- just load it with rel22 if you want to slow it down

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38459 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Because of the mystique of short cases. I never got it either. Bench rest you know.
MC, cutting off .700 will insure a new neck.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Thinking about it mainly because of extra time on my hands and brass availability. The 6XC has a lot going for it. Anyways, I'm just kicking around ideas. I probably won't do it. I'll save it for another build.

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And don't discount the larger shoulder diameter of the improved 6mm when doing the re-barrel

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote