Find
Notify
Tools

More on the Mauser M98 Pressure Test Action
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted
Put this thing together for the 50 Caliber Lever Gun cartridge development, but it has been used for working up loads for 340 Weatherby, 9.3X70, 416 Howell, and and 450 Ackley.

77 loads up to 63.000 psi on the .510 cartridge: 142 pages of data, Oehler M43 printouts, and correspondence with the designer.

Likely 150 or so test loads with the other cartridges mentioned.

All loads first developed with Quick Load, then to the reloading bench. After that, a trip to my range (A gravel pit way out in the back country) for testing with the Oehler M43 strain gauge system.

I was pleasantly surprised at how close the Quick Load predicted pressures were to the actual fired loads and the Oehler M43 pressure readings..

No lug setback, no damage to the receiver, no blown primers or flowing brass. A testimonial to the Mauser design.

And that lever gun? 5200 ft pounds with 450 grain bullets at a comfy 45,000 psi. The .510 case has a lot more powder capacity than the 458 Win Mag, sort of like the big Nitro Express cartridges giving good velocities and energy levels at moderate pressures.

Left: 458 Win case upended in the .510 case.
Center, 458 Win cartridge.
Right, the .510 cartridge.

The Oehler 43 and Quick Load software: Essentials for the cartridge designer.

Posts: 1449 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice work Woodhunter, what action did you use?

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I meant action used for pressure test gun. Cheers.

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1449 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is the rare and desirable Federal Ordnance Crest from 1985.
Oberndorf California.
So there is no telling what it actually is/was.

Posts: 17094 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Oberndorf California.

Yep, like killing chickens. I reached into the barrel and this action is what came out.

Might have to run it across the Wilson Rockwell Hardness tester to see what lies it tells.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I think you have already proven it's a good one.
Also for those who claim that grinding material off the ring ruins them; ........ Read that.

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think you have already proven it's a good one.
Also for those who claim that grinding material off the ring ruins them; ........ Read that.

Yea I think so. First time I saw a M98 having the front ring ground was way back in 1985 or so in the Apex barrel shop when it was owned by Randy Brooks. Sure cleans the receiver up nicely, especially if the end product is an iron sighted big bore.

This is an unusual action with a magazine well opening that is about 3-1/2 inches. No signs of grinding out the lower lug. I may use it for the 8x68S project gun I have going.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think that grinding off the markings would mayhaps remove a hard case...ya know, like cutting thru the paper on one side of a piece of sheet rock..Wrong ????

Posts: 3450 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I submit that grinding the case hardening off the outside of a 98 Mauser receiver does not affect it at all. Disclaimer; I have not tested the entire population of 98 Mauser receivers.
Steel is not like sheet rock 

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depending on methods used and different arsenals, generally Mausers were selectively hardened, ie only hardened in high wear/stress areas.
The outside of the front ring is not usually hardened.
Doesn’t need to be.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oberndorf California.

Any kin to the rare and desirable National Ordinance 1903A3 clones?

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No relation to them; Fed Ord didn't make the Mausers. They just re-marked them with their Eagle crest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fed Ord didn't make the Mausers.

I was at a gun show in Mesquite, Texas about 10 years ago, there was a lot of excitement because it was believed someone found a presentation Mauser. All I had to go on was a vague location. Late in the day I managed to locate the rifle. The dealer had put the rifle away and feeling lucky he did not sell the rifle at a cheap price. I looked at the rifle and then told him he wanted to be very careful at passing up a good price. I told him there was a bias against national Arms rifles. And then he said they said and then I showed him the National Arms marking.

About the same time an individual wanted to sell a 03 Remington, he was having trouble getting dealers attention. One dealer told him he did not want the rifle at any price, that was when I asked the dealer if he had no interest in the rifle what do you have against me talking to your customer. I purchased the rifle for $150.00, the rifle came with two boxes of 30/06 Remington ammo.
Normally I would have no use for the rifle without a scope. I took the rifle to the range; I could not believe the rifle was as accurate as it was, and I cannot believe the rifle is a National Arms or Santa Fe.

I did not have any intention of scaring him, he could not believe I pulled up to a drive-thru teller window with a P/U full of guns and rifles. He left me.

F. Guffey

Posts: 453 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You probably mean National Ordnance. They made the 03A3s and carbines. And M14 clones. And M1s. All not up to US quality. None of them made any Mausers, although there was one called the Mausingfield; a Mauser using a (cheap) 03 bolt. I don't think they were part of the California syndicate. American arms Company.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I still have one of those MField actions laying around in a drawer. I was also given one of the eagle marked Fed Ord barrelled actions years ago... the receiver was cracked on it!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2265 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You probably mean National Ordnance.

quote:
About the same time an individual wanted to sell a 03 Remington
That is what I meant to say, the receiver serial number matched up with the Remingtin 03, as you should know Remington started with the 03 and then went to the 03A3. After the war, I do not know, I doubt it was by magic someone started stamping the barrel with a stamp that looked like Santa Fe. I do not know where they came from, but I have two bolts that I am told are Santa Fe bolts that have the lug sheared off.
I cut the handles off and then stuck the handles on bolts that had those straight handles. And then, I took the busted bolts to Jeff Lee in Irving, Texas. He said they were Santa Fe bolts. The rifle is one of the most accurate rifles I have ever shot without a scope. Saturday a man showed a lot of interest in the rifle. I told him "It is yours, but you must allow me time to dig it out"

F. Guffey

Posts: 453 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote