New
Find
Notify
Tools

rebarreling a Ruger No 1
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have access to a couple of takeoff barrels from Ruger No 1's.

How difficult will it be to headspace a barrel from a different No 1 action, to another Ruger No 1 action,as well as get everything to lineup; rib, sights, extractor cut etc. ?

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you done this type of thing before?
I have re-barreled a few rifles and you will need a go guage and a no/go gauge as well as a reamer if you need to adjust headspace correctly if it's quite a ways off. You may need to index the barrel one turn, trim it back and rechamber it to get the correct headspace.
It depends on how close it comes to indexing correctly, they won't always screw in with the sights on top.

Cheers.
tu2

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not only index for headspace, you will need to index to get the rib and extractor cut to line up. Not a job for the faint hearted, they don't normally index correctly.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
trust me this is nothing I would try to do myself!!

Jim who would you recommend or is this something you could take on?

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have done several barrel swaps on #1s; they are not indexed in any way and it is random on how the new barrel will fit. They have to be faced off and indexed up, and the chamber deepened. I have never had one index perfectly as is but it is always possible if you are lucky. Good thing is that the extractors are very forgiving.

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
send it to jim - and you might even want him to do a half octagon half round job Big Grin

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PM sent.

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,

Years ago I traded into a Ruger #3 that had been re-chambered from a 45-70 to 460 Weatherby.
Tossed the #3 barrel and screwed a #1 45-70 in its place. Lo and behold, it indexed perfectly and headspaced correctly, also. An expected and repeatable occurrence? I don't think so. Just lucky.

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote