Find
Notify
Tools

Best twist
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
What is the best twist rate to put in a short-barreled .308 to shoot heavier (180 gr) monos? Is 1 in 10 fast enough for longer bullets?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36417 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
10 twist is fast enough for 220 grain bullets.

Posts: 1098 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep 1-10 or 1-11 I've used both up to 190 grains in a .308 with excellent results.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep. 10, 11. Should be fine.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
What they said.

Steve.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ledvm, 1:10 twist for .308 WIn. is what is standard.
other 30 cal. cartridges have in the past chambered rifles with 11 and 12 twist barrels, I personally have used 1:14 twist barrels for my accuracy 308 Win gun shooting Sierra 155 and 168 bullets, you want to shoot 180gr monos, I think you are barking up the wrong tree with those bullets since they are very long, I cannot say if they will stabilize if they are of boat tail design but I think a flat base will be OK. second if yoou are shooting a 308 Win You will quickly run out of cappacity and seating depth with such a long bullet.
BB

Posts: 391 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, for heavy mono's 1:9 is what you want. 1:10 won't work with anything over 180 grains in a high BC mono like a CEB Lazer or Hammer Hunter.

The .308 will be slow on velocity, so you'll want the extra twist.

I have a 1:9 on my .300 Win Mag just to shoot the 200gr+ mono's. Look at Badlands Precision Bulldozer. Wicked bullet.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote