Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x62 Tight Chamber
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I have a 9.3x62 that I have been working on as a project rifle. It started out as a Husqvarna 9.3x57 and I had a reputable gunsmith rechamber to 9.3x62.

The rifle is far from being done (still waiting to get my stock back that I had duplicated), but test chambered some ammunition today and found out it had a very tight chamber. I could close it, but it took some effort.

I don't have any gauges for this caliber, but did try a 30-60 field gauge and it closed fine. I'm not sure how close the 30-06 field gauge is to a 9.3x62 field gauge.

The other thing it could be is the brass. I have a sample pack from Superior Ammo with Hornady brass. I use their sample packs to narrow down which bullets work the best in a new rifle (to me) before I start doing my own loads. I've had problems in the past with 8x57 Hornady brass being over max length new from the factory and needed trimming and sizing. So this could be the same issue. I don't have any 9.3x62 brass on hand, so I ordered some and will see how it fits after trimming and sizing.

My question is on the 30-06 field gauge. If this gauge closes on a 9.3x62, then does that narrow my issue down to the brass versus the chamber being to short?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Try Norma or Lapua brass. They are standard European. I have heard that Hornady brass does not measure the same.

I would just get a box of Norma factory ammo & check it.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Could it be that without a stock, your perception of closing effort is out of whack. I imagine the weight and greater gripping facility of a chequered stock adds quite a bit to the equation.

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I will check for you tomorrow on the gauges; I have both.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:

My question is on the 30-06 field gauge. If this gauge closes on a 9.3x62, then does that narrow my issue down to the brass versus the chamber being to short?

The base diameter and the shoulder diameter of the 9.3x62 are wider than the 06', and the the shoulder of the 9.3 is higher up on the case as well. Thus your gauge test is meaningless. You need a set of go gauges for a truly valid test. A tight chamber is not necessarily a bad thing.
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Austin Hunter:

30-06 headspace gauges won't tell you anything about the chamber's (headspace) compatibility with 9.3x62.

30-06 chambers and gauges have 17* 15' shoulder angles while 9.3x62 is 17* 32'--not too much difference.

Base-to-(.4000")datum dimension, however, is another matter. MAX '06 headspace dimension is .101" shorter than MIN headspace for 9.3x62. The proper gauges are needed for a definitive headspace check.

Dave Manson

Posts: 685 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
One picture equals one thousand words;

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I thought they might be different based on the shoulder.

I have some new brass on order and will see what that experiment yields.

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another possibility might be the chamber reamer itself. I have a reamer print for something called the "9.3x62 American" designed to be used when making cases out of .30-06 brass. This would result in a "tight" chamber using CIP spec brass. Just a thought but have you checked back with the gunsmith on this? It might not hurt to at least eliminate this as a possibility

A good job is sometimes just a series of expertly fixed fark-ups.
Let's see.... is it 20 years experience or is it 1 years experience 20 times?
And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H47:
Another possibility might be the chamber reamer itself. I have a reamer print for something called the "9.3x62 American" designed to be used when making cases out of .30-06 brass. This would result in a "tight" chamber using CIP spec brass. Just a thought but have you checked back with the gunsmith on this? It might not hurt to at least eliminate this as a possibility

Thanks for the advice! I'll check that as well

one of us
posted Hide Post
mark the case with a ink pen or whatever close the bolt and work it a bit..then take a look at the case and see if there was wear..you can either run the reamer in a small tad or you can resize the case down at the shoulder a tad..I have used a file trim die to do this in some cases. But first try the new brass. If your gunsmith is near have him fix it...A lot of gunsmith use a 06 reamber to cut 9.3x62 chambers and that's dumb as hell, they are two different cartridges and even the practice of making cases from 06 brass is not smart at all, as you end up with a rear bulge on the case and although it works for awhile, your definatly overworking your brass and it won't last long.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Well good news, it was the brass. I guess Superior didn't FL size the Hornday brass. In general, I've never had problems with Hornady brass except for the 8x57 and now 9.3x62.

Anyway, I tested the virgin brass from the box, no bullet seated, and it had the same "tightness" as the Superior Ammo. Ran it through the FL size die, bingo, no issues. I didn't even bother trimming. Did this for 4 pieces from the Hornady box, each time the result was the same.

Case closed!

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Could it have been as simple as the brass is max spec and the chamber min. Could that have given you a resistance? Glad you got it fixed.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi guys
My hunting partner and I both have a CZ 550 in 9.3x62 neither of them will chamber Hornady factory ammo,but Privi chambers perfectly.Get some European ammo or brass.Bill

DRSS

Posts: 180 | Location: Vancouver Island/High Arctic | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Be careful with S&B ammo. I had an issue with it in my 8x57. Didn't fit well. I use it all the time in my 1911.