New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Silver-Lining Scholarship Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest you have a PM. My postal MO for 4 tickets left today via pony express (overnight=2nd day) and is due to arrive NLT Wed (I've heard that story before) Clovis NM may be in the USA, but the postal service forgets that sometimes!

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lets see. $100 gets you 4 tickets. 4 into 1000 equals 250. There has got to be 250 folks here on AR who want to participate in such a good cause as this Searcy Memorial Scholarship Fund. The 1000 tickets should be sold already or pretty darn quick. bewildered

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Today I received 12 checks totaling $1675.

1 from AK for $100 (Dave's numbers will be conveniently lost before the drawing)
1 from TN for $100 (thank you for the nice note Mike)
1 from VT for $100 (thanks Ann!)
1 from MN for $30
1 from MT for $30
1 from VA for $30
1 from FL for $30
1 from WA for $100 (Roger likes his own work)
1 from GA for $25 (farktoof, if you win anything, you'll owe us $5 plus a LOT of interest!)

hmmmm....that's not quite $1675

oh, yea...I almost forgot about the TEXANS

Today we got four checks from TX totaling $1230. I guess the Texans consider this wildcatting for a rifle. Actually, we're just more concerned with having high quality teachers than are residents of some other states. Smiler

The raffle tickets came in today. My ever helpful daughter Emily helped me fill out the tickets and update the accounting. Thus far, I've received payment for 272 tickets.
That's not exactly right, I've gotten some electronic payments from international participants that we haven't included. They total about 20 tickets. In any event, we're closing in on 300 tickets sold.

I'll post the ticket numbers for everyone tomorrow. I've got to work on the promo material tonight.

Thanks guys - and you too Ann.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I probably speak for all of us, and I want to say thank you Forrest for all of the work you're doing!!!

Don

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Forrest -

Did I read that you will be at a booth at DSC collecting checks?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have some stock blanks for sale in Classifieds: here.

As an added incentive to buy tickets to this raffle, if you buy or have bought four or more tickets, I will knock another $50 off any blank.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
I probably speak for all of us, and I want to say thank you Forrest for all of the work you're doing!!!

Don

Not only did he do all of this work, but he also donated the G.33/40 action as well. clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest-

You will receive my check for four tickets, tomorrow.

Thanks for your efforts on this.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forest a check is comming your way from TN for 4 more via fedex. You guys did a good thing here!

Ken

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
Today I received 12 checks totaling $1675.

1 from AK for $100 (Dave's numbers will be conveniently lost before the drawing)

That's okay, Forrest. If you would like to just send me the rifle straight away, we can avoid this pesky drawing exercise and I'll receive the rifle that much sooner! Big Grin

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DPhillips: your idea won't work..I have it on good information that Forrest is putting his name on all the tickets

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Duane, your information is wrong. My writing hand is worn out from filling out raffle tickets; and all in other people's names.

Today we took in $1,860 from 10 participants.

1 check from OR for $300 (Thank you Trez)
1 check from NY for $100 (Thanks Rich)

Anybody want to guess where the rest our money came from? Anybody???

Excellent guess...the rest of our donations today came from the Great State of Texas. I got 7 checks in the mail that totaled $1160 and then I had lunch with MHC-TX where he gave us $300. So today the big-hearted Texans gave us a total of $1,460. Thank you Phil, David, Butch (again), Michael, Cathy, Diane, Mike and a really big thank you to Dougaboy who has been busy lately helping us in a rather large fashion.

I'm beginning to think I must be posting with a drawl that only the Texans can understand.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm beginning to think I must be posting with a drawl that only the Texans can understand.

I didn't know that they could read!?

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,
When I win this thing, I don't won't no damn $25,000 1099.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
where can I get in on this should I send it now or bring the mony to dallas on friday who do I pay

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Forrest,
When I win this thing, I don't won't no damn $25,000 1099.
Butch

Regardless of whether a 1099 is given, the winner of this prize would be responsible to report it on his 2008 federal tax return.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CRUSHER:
where can I get in on this should I send it now or bring the mony to dallas on friday who do I pay

Excellent and timely question. If you haven't mailed a check to me already and you plan to be in Dallas, just bring cash or (preferably) a check and buy tickets at the DSC.

On Friday and Saturday, the Scholarship rifle will be on display at the Heym USA booth. The booth is #952 and you can use this link to find a map of the hall:

http://mail.andcap.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http:/...ym_usa_show_maps.htm

Chris Sells ("new-guy") has been kind enough to give us a little space in his booth. Conveniently, it's located in close proximity to a refreshment stand. All of you attending should come by and take a look at our rifle and knives. You'll probably want to buy more tickets once you handle the merchandise, so bring your checkbooks!

Here's one sincere request: Bring along a friend. Find someone who doesn't know about our project and tell them about what we are trying to accomplish with the Sheryl Searcy Memorial Scholarship Fund. The rifle and knives by themselves will sell a few tickets one at a time. The purpose behind the Scholarship Fund will sell tickets by the bushel basket.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I'll say again, This is not about building a rifle; it's about building a teacher. We're honoring one great (and sorely missed educator) by creating another one. I'm tickled to know that our rifle raffle will provide a college scholarship for an aspiring teacher. If we can create one new teacher that will tell their story of how a rifle, some knives and some generous people on a hunting website provided for their college education, then we stand a good chance of changing some minds about the "evils" of guns and hunting.

Please help get our story out. It's not about the raffle, it's about the scholarship.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
On Friday and Saturday, the Scholarship rifle will be on display at the Heym USA booth.

Thanks. I will look for it.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Here are the ticket numbers for the AR participants I've gotten checks from. Please look for your name on this list. If you don't see your name and you've sent money, please send me a PM and I'll get your tickets assigned before I leave for Dallas.

0001 – 0012 M1Tanker
0013 – 0052 Mufasa
0053 – 0060 JKobe
0061 – 0064 RogerR
0065 – 0068 El Caballero
0069 – 0072 54JNoll
0073 – 0076 Recoil Rob
0077 – 0080 fireball 168
0081 – 0084 J. Bennett
0085 – 0088 BBHunter
0089 – 0092 Michael Petrov
0093 – 0096 TC1
0097 – 0100 577 Nitro Express
0101 – 0102 Herr Messer
0103 – 0104 Mrs Herr Messer
0105 – 0108 SD Hunter
0109 – 0112 DMB
0113 – 0116 Wink
0117 – 0124 Rusty
0125 – 0132 Glen71
0133 – 0135 jimatcat (I owe you one ticket)
0136 – 0147 Butch Lambert
0148 – 0159 mrlexma
0160 – 0163 Old Guy
0164 – 0175 J. Turk
0176 – 0179 Ramrod 340
0180 – 0187 M16
0188 – 0191 Duane Wiebe
0192 – 0195 D.Markey
0196 – 0199 mkane 160
0200 – 0203 Ann Horsman
0204 – 0207 KevinH
0208 – 0211 Roger Kehr
0212 – 0215 D.Phillips
0216 – 0219 E.Anderson
0220 – 0223 22WRF
0224 – 0243 C.Hall Jr
0244 – 0263 C.Hall Sr
0264 farktoof
0265 Michael S Smith
0266 cooper JD
0267 SDH
0268 Marc Stokeld
0269 jeffeosso
0270 257 Rock
0271 zimbabwe
0272 JE Haynie
0273 – 0284 MHC-TX
0285 – 0296 Trez Hensley
0297 – 0300 Phil
0301 – 0308 David W
0309 – 0312 MW Haner
0313 – 0316 CE Mitchell
0317 – 0318 Diane Anderson
0319 – 0338 Dougaboy
0339 – 0342 Rich J
0343 – 0350 B.Martins
0351 – 0354 Andy Cooper
0355 – 0356 Robin O Locksley
0357 – 0360 Stu C
0361 – 0364 Butch Lambert (round 2)
0365 jimatcat (there’s your other ticket)

The ticket numbers don't matter much, it's just for accounting. When we do our draws we'll pick an impartial observer out of the audience and have them hand-draw the winning tickets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElCaballero:
quote:

Kind of reminds me of when my Mom caught me with my first playboy........she said "I can believe you read these things"......I said "I don't read them, I just look at the pictures".

I haven't read much about the gun, but I did look at the pictures.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MHC_TX:
quote:
Originally posted by ElCaballero:
quote:

Kind of reminds me of when my Mom caught me with my first playboy........she said "I can believe you read these things"......I said "I don't read them, I just look at the pictures".

I haven't read much about the gun, but I did look at the pictures.

patriot Doing you civic duty. Carry on.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
0269 jeffeosso

I ALREADY won!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38348 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Hey Forrest, I dropped a check off at your house today for 4 tickets. I was in the neighborhood and I wanted to be in on the drawing! Lee.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2246 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Thanks Lee, I got the check. I wish I were home when you came by.

Including Lee's check we got 7 contributions today totaling $700. Here's today's breakdown:

1 from TN for $100 (Idahoelk 101)
1 from CA for $100(loud-n-boomer)
1 from OK for $100 (Mike Williams - who wants to win back his beautiful knife and I don't blame him)

The Texas contingent is just playing defense today. Figuring they have an insurmountable lead, they just want to keep it that way.

We got 4 checks from Texans today totaling $400. Thanks to Lee440, Jim N., Thaine, and 30Cal Mag Fan.

I have a few more donations either promised or on the way. I'll post all the final ticket numbers tomorrow. After this, it's off to Dallas and if you want to participate in our bonus drawings you'll have to buy tickets at the show or dinner.

Remember, we're in booth 952 with Heym USA. Come find us and look at what our craftsmen have built for the Scholarship Fund.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Allow me to get this back to the top one more time.

quote:
Raffle Ticket Details:

We will sell a maximum of 1000 raffle tickets. The price will be $30 per ticket or you can buy multiples of four tickets for $100 per four tickets.

The GRAND PRIZE will be the Custom Mauser 7X57 Rifle along with the Williams Custom Damascus Knife and a Murray Leather Guncase that is fitted into a Americase Custom Hardcase with a Cordura travel cover. This is all very high quality stuff.

SECOND AND THIRD PRIZES will be Custom Drop Point hunting knives built by Gene Ingram. Gene used wood cut from our rifle blank to make the scales for these knives.

We will have the drawing Sunday morning January 27, 2008 at the ACGG Exhibition in Reno. You don’t have to be there to claim your prize(s).

I really hope like heck that one of our AR members will win the Grand Prize. The only way to assure that of happening is for our group to buy all the tickets before they go on sale to the public at the DSC show on January 9th.

We are printing 1000 numbered raffle tickets for the drawing. You don’t have to attend one of the shows to buy tickets. If you want to buy a ticket, you can send payment along with your contact details to me and I will fill out the stubs for you and then email your ticket numbers to you. If you purchase at least four tickets, I’ll mail your numbered ticket stubs to you. You should make out your checks to the SEARCY MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND. Mail your checks to:

Forrest Bruch
4238 Dartmouth
Houston, TX 77005

Please include a note with your screen name, email address, phone number and other contact information. I give you my word that you will be treated fairly.

We’re going to have a BONUS DRAWING for our AR members who purchase tickets. At Judge G’s Saturday evening party at the Comfort Inn, we’ll draw stubs from our AR forum members who purchased tickets and give away some bonus prizes. One prize will be another Ingram Custom Knife exactly like the ones that will be awarded in the main drawing. Other prizes will be subject to whatever items we can get donated in the meantime. If you have something you would like to donate, please post it here or send me a PM with the details. I’d like to sweeten the pot to induce AR members to buy as many of the tickets as possible, as early as possible. IF I DON’T RECEIVE YOUR PAYMENT BEFORE I LEAVE FOR THE DSC SHOW ON JANUARY 10TH, THEN YOUR STUBS WON’T BE INCLUDED IN THE BONUS DRAWINGS. You can always buy your tickets in Dallas if you will be at the show, dinner or AR party and we’ll include the stubs in the drawings. IF YOU BUY TICKETS IN DALLAS, PLEASE TELL US YOU ARE AN AR MEMBER AND PROVIDE YOUR SCREEN NAME BECAUSE WE WON’T BE ASKING.

Like the rest of you, I’m paying off Christmas bills. I just made a quarterly tax payment to Uncle Sam and I mailed my property tax payments today. I’m broke. That won’t stop me from buying the first 12 raffle tickets. This is for a great cause, and I hope we get some favorable press about our efforts but even if we don’t, all or you should be proud of what we are accomplishing. My hat is off to all the AR guys who helped out and especially to all the Craftsmen who worked on our project.

Let me know what I’ve left out and let me know if you have an item you would like to include in our bonus drawing for our AR participants.

Thanks,
Forrest

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Today we got seven checks in the mail for a total of $730.

1 from Alberta for $100 (Archdlx)
1 from Washington for $30 (Dedseven)
3 from California for $400 (Aleaddict, CAS II, and Mike Dettorre)
2 from Texas for $200 (Jim Newsome and 470 Evans)

I couldn't freakin' believe it! We got more cash out of California that from Texas. Let me tell you, the shame set in...all encompassing shame.

On the heels of shame came desperation. I got frantic...I called a couple of friends of mine here in Houston and told them I needed to see them...PRONTO! I met up with them this afternoon and explained the situation. The shame set in for them too.

Being the proud Texans the are, they ponied up $800 and bought 32 tickets. In Texas, that's a real friend. Thank you James and Roy! Their purchases put our daily total at $1,530.

That closes out the ticket sales prior to DSC. I leave for Dallas in the morning with 450 tickets sold. I'm hopeful, we'll sell a bunch more there (after all, the place will be loaded with Texans).

Here are the rest of the assigned ticket numbers:

0366 – 0369 Lee440
0370 – 0373 Mike Williams
0374 – 0377 IdahoElk101
0378 – 0381 30Cal. Mag Fan
0382 – 0385 Thaine
0386 – 0389 loud-n-boomer
0390 – 0397 Aleaddict
0398 – 0401 Mike Dettorre
0402 Dedseven
0403 – 0406 Jim Newsome
0407 – 0410 470 Evans
0411 – 0430 JS Reckling
0431 – 0442 Roy Brooks
0443 – 0446 archdlx
0447 – 0450 CAS II

All 450 of these tickets will be in the Bonus Draw along with any other AR tickets we sell at DSC.

We'll hold the bonus drawing on at Judge G's party at the Comfort Inn on Saturday evening. I'll be ready for a drink by then.

Please...please...please...come by Booth #952 (Heym USA) and drag along a friend or a stranger. Show them the rifle and tell them about the purpose of the Searcy Memorial Scholarship Fund.

Good luck to all who have participated!

See you in Dallas,
Forrest

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Please...please...please...come by Booth #952 (Heym USA) and drag along a friend or a stranger. Show them the rifle and tell them about the purpose of the Searcy Memorial Scholarship Fund.

I went by looking for you today. I will try again tomorrow afternoon. Have a safe drive up.

posted Hide Post
Forrest, Check went out this morn....1-11-08

Posts: 24 | Location: WNY-Bergen | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
Forrest, All the very best with the sale.

Best-
Locksley,R

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 779 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
450 tickets sold

Come on guys! They have sold almost HALF of the total number of tickets! Let's have one of our AR brothers or sisters win this rifle to keep it in the family!

577NitroExpress

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a good time at the show today. Missed Forrest. I tried to fill out a yellow form for my rifle and just got a blank stare when I asked for one.
My Grandson spent $20 on a lottery ticket. He came back later and said "Papaw, I may have wasted my money". I said why. He said the trip was for one person only and he had to pay his own way to South America. Josh better start saving his money.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So who won the AR pull on Saturday????

577NitroExpress

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Dallas was a lot of fun. It was good to see so many friendly AR guys. I'm really bummed that I missed Butch though. I don't know how that happened.

We had 560 tickets in the bucket on Saturday night when we did the bonus draw. Palmer's lovely wife Irene was nice enough to draw the tickets for us and we have four lucky AR winners drawn in this order:

1. T. Lambert (a very nice guy who bought four tickets at the DSC party and got a quick payoff)

2. Mufasa (A Texan and one of our most generous donors. We could give him all the bonus prizes and it wouldn't begin to compensate him for all he has donated to our project)

3. Archdlx (Who is from the "sticks" (his words, not mine) in Alberta and went waaaay out of his way to get payment to us. I'm glad we made it worth his while).

4. David W (Another Texan who has been a big donor and supporter. David and his 10 year old son came by on Saturday to see the rifle and say hello. I hope winning in the bonus round doesn't jinx his chance in the main draw because David's son REALLY wants this rifle.)

Adam Freeman of Luxus Walnut gave us a nice two piece set of Turkish walnut this weekend that we've included in the Bonus Prizes. I think this makes about the fourth stock they've donated to our project. Thanks Adam.

We also had:

A Gene Ingram hunting knife with scales cut from the Scholarship Rifle blank.

A barrel chambering and installation job donated by Jim Kobe.

And a 3-9X Zeiss Conquest scope donated by 22 WRF.

We decided to let our winners choose their preferred gift in the order the winners were drawn. T.Lambert was in attendance and went home with the Ingram knife, so Mufasa gets his pick of the remaining items, then Archdlx and finally David W.

Let's hear from our AR winners...

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I think everybody that buy's a ticket or donated on the front end is a winner! I wish I could have been there.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
I think everybody that buy's a ticket or donated on the front end is a winner! I wish I could have been there.

Terry

I echo your sentiment entirely, based on years of never winning a single thing. One must put things into perspective. I think the card I received last year puts it very nicely:

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

It was good to see you in Dallas. The rifle is beautiful - what an awesome thing for a far-flung group of people to come together to build a work of art for such a good cause.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Friends: I am pleased that I won a prize at the AR drawing at Dallas. I would appreciate it if the other winners would chose what prize they want and would leave me the last prize. They are all such wonderful prizes that any one of them would be a real thrill. Having said that, I believe that this is such a worthwhile endeavor that I would like to donate my prize back to the scholarship fund to be auctioned off to the highest bidder on AR with the money going to the scholarship fund. Thank you again for organizing such a worthwhile project. MUFASA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mufasa,
I do not know you but think you are a kind and gracious person.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mufasa: You must be one of us millionaire gunsmiths, or just a nice guy...I suspect the latter....

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How many tickets left unsold at this point?

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote