Notify
Tools

The Silver-Lining Scholarship Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that says it all! You were a blessed man Glen
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glen, thank you for sharing that letter with us. Thinking about the aspiring teacher we’ll be helping is my inspiration to keep this project on track. I’ve had to take a couple of days off to finish a rifle for a great fellow who posts here as “CAS IIâ€. Now I’m back on the Scholarship Rifle project…

First band saw off the butt to desired length.

After laying out cast off, locate and drill holes for screws...here I use a drill motor to "tap" the wood, forming threads.

The horn buttplate is now completely fitted. We decided to use horn, since it's not only very classic, but the future owner will have lots of leeway to fit to length

We've laid outlines for bandsawing. For clarity, I've highlighted the scribed lines.

Just getting rid of unwanted wood…

This will drive OSHA crazy! I use a milling cutter on the polishing head (3450 rpm).

The wood just kind of melts away (I'm making a disclaimer here -- try this at your own risk!)

As you can see, it's starting to look like a stock....an old stockmaker once said "Just remove the wood that doesn't look like a stock".

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Duane, this is an expensive blank and we don't have a spare. Can't you just use a rasp and draw knife?

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Duane, hope you do not sneeze while doing this.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been perusing this forum almost every day for the last few years or so and have to apologize by saying I have passed over this thread until today. I cannot offer a valid reason but feel compelled to comment on the gathering of greatness. As a late comer, as Trez has explained, I would like to contribute in some way to this project. I simply was not aware of what was going on but will pay closer attention in the future. Please contact me if anything additional is needed.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5496 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr.Wiebe

When I hear, (Master Gun Maker) your name is one of the first I associate with this statement. I have followed and studied your work for some time. You are truly a master in all aspects of rifle building. As great as your stock work is I am fascinated with your takedowns.

I would like to thank you for the time and effort of taking pictures and posting them here. It takes a lot of time to do as you have done. I know your dedication to this project is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Now a question on the rifle.
The barrel you inletted was round. About mid December Mark posted pictures and a progress report that the octagon barrel was finished and chambered. At that time he was finishing the quarter rib. I know Mark had some health issues after this date. My computer has been up and down for some time so, did I miss something?

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good catch James regarding the barrel. There were a couple of issues with the octagon barrel that needed to be addressed before I could install and inlet. In the interest of time (we’re way behind schedule) we decided to use a round Krieger barrel that was on hand so that I could get on with the stockwork. We’ll let Mark work his magic on the quarter rib and sights for this barrel now that he’s back on his feet.

On with the woodwork…A very sharp plane will remove a lot of wood, and if VERY sharp it will cut against the grain

Spoke shave works well in tighter areas

Tom Burgess thoughtfully left the tang at full height...shaping this should be left to stockmaker

Generally, this area will end up with same thickness as grip cap is wide

Credit for this gadget belongs to the late Alvin Linden...the purpose is to develop a straight line as if cheek piece did not exist.

Yep! I'm using a body grinder to quickly remove wood…

As I get about close as I dare with the body grinder, I switch to this very fine wood rasp (This one is made in France, costs about $100.00)

Again, using rasps to develop lines

This measurement will come out a little less than an inch

Here, we're developing a straight line from grip to toe

Using that straight portion as a guide, we can't go wrong in blending the other lines

In spite of a seeming obsession with straight lines, I like to leave the comb line with a SLIGHT convex. It always seems to me that if this line is perfectly straight, it ends up looking concave to the naked eye....maybe it's just my eyes?

Ah....F....ooey! Guess I'll end up doing a little re-designing to the grip cap.

See the inletting black smudge? I like to leave the sides just a tiny bit convex.

Well...what do you think so far?

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of safari1976
posted Hide Post
wonderfull sir...wonderfull...thanks

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Truly amazing work. Thank you for showing us how it's done. Ever think about putting all this in a book and selling it?

After I win this rifle I will send you a personal thank you note clap HA!

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please no more pictures of that finger remover. I looked at it three times and I still get chills. That thing made the 4 foot cross cut saw that my dad used for fire wood look safe.
John

Posts: 1283 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As a person not usually much interested in bolt rifles, this is suddenly a lot more interesting and has even enticed me enough to want to buy into this raffle. Is there a target date for ticket sales?

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J_Zola:
Please no more pictures of that finger remover. I looked at it three times and I still get chills. That thing made the 4 foot cross cut saw that my dad used for fire wood look safe.
John
Appreciate your misgivings, but the fact is that the wood does actually "melt" even acoss or against the grain. Of course, one needs to use common sense...as with a buffer, work "below center" There is no "grabbing" tendency at all. Mind you, for legaleeze I can't condone anyone use this method. I sill have all fingers after using this since 1968...Thank you for your post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
Truly amazing work. Thank you for showing us how it's done. Ever think about putting all this in a book and selling it?

Terry
Actually, there seems to be enough interest that we're contemplating a CD

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:

Terry
Actually, there seems to be enough interest that we're contemplating a CD

I would buy that CD

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
..Well...what do you think so far?

Well, I think you are amazing.. and I need to just put my tools out in the rain..

i'd buy the DVD
jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38356 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, I think you are amazing.. and I need to just put my tools out in the rain..

Yep makes this poor hobby guy feel like I never knew a thing. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas looking to see if new pictures are there.

Put me down for a DVD.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
Duane, this is an expensive blank and we don't have a spare. Can't you just use a rasp and draw knife?

Duane, I'm shocked to see electric tools and grinders and such. After talking to Forrest I thought you only used flintstones and wooden mallets.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As for that little "ding" in the grip cap, how about a little judicious tig weld?

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5496 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim: I'll give that some thought..on the other hand, this is the perfect oppurunity to see how a radiussed edge might look...if all else fails, I do have another cap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:

Duane, I'm shocked to see electric tools and grinders and such. After talking to Forrest I thought you only used flintstones and wooden mallets.
They were seized as historical artifacts...

One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
TC1,

After careful consideration, we regret to inform you that you are not going to be the winner of the raffle for this rifle.

We have agonized over this and have decided that the Hensley's would benifit a great deal by owning this one. If you would like, you could look into buying one from Duane and the rest of the crew.

We are sorry for any pain this may have caused you and wish you well in the future.

rotflmo Razzer Wink Please don't knock my teeth out hillbilly wave

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker
Curious about who Jesus is? Click hereChristianity-or- contact me

Posts: 485 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trez Hensley:
TC1,

After careful consideration, we regret to inform you that you are not going to be the winner of the raffle for this rifle.

We have agonized over this and have decided that the Hensley's would benifit a great deal by owning this one. If you would like, you could look into buying one from Duane and the rest of the crew.

We are sorry for any pain this may have caused you and wish you well in the future.

rotflmo Razzer Wink Please don't knock my teeth out hillbilly wave

HA! It doesn't surprize me. If there were 100 of us in a room and 99 door prizes, I would walk out of the room empty handed.

The only way I'll ever own that rifle is to take it while nobody is looking Razzer

Duane say's there might be a CD for sale. I'll buy one and be happy. Smiler

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Duane:

As a person who helped get the blank for this project, I would be curious to know what your overall impressions are of it (grain structure, mineral lines, layout, etc) now that you have started carving.

And thank you so very much for all of your photos and descriptions.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Jerry Fisher designed bottom metal has this curved floorplate which is a but troublesome to fit to a stock contour, but carries nicely

Be careful here! Once the metal is in the stock though, this detail is well protected

A small cabinet scraper is ideal for taking out rasp marks

Utility rolls are widely used during the "shoe shine" method

Here, I'm making a new guard screw from 01 tool steel, because I need a thicker than normal head so.....

I can do this!

Have plenty of various sized dowels, sandpaper wrapped for detailing

Grip will end up a little less than 4 3/4" circumference...should fit most hands well

Same flush screw treatment...left a few degrees off for future wear

Adds visual appeal to have he bottom line of the fore end slightly convcave

Again, visual appeal is enhanced with shadow detailing

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Mr. Wiebe,

As one who thinks of himself as a pretty good driver, but who is not much of a mechanic, I love to see how a fine machine is made. It's a real eye-opener. Tools, technique and lots of talent, as well as lots of hard-earned experience, are needed to be able to perform this kind of hand work. You sure do have those bases covered.

I sparked a debate around here one time by referring to the best gunmakers as artists, but at the risk of doing so again, I have to say it: You, sir, are an artist.

This series of posts reminds me of the excellent Holland & Holland DVD on fine gunmaking. I own that one, and I would buy your DVD in a minute. I don't know what it would cost you to produce, or if you could make any money from it, but if it will help, put me down for one.

Thanks for taking the time to record this and share it with us.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13313 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:
Duane:

As a person who helped get the blank for this project, I would be curious to know what your overall impressions are of it (grain structure, mineral lines, layout, etc) now that you have started carving.

And thank you so very much for all of your photos and descriptions.

You did well...one of the best I've ever worked on...about perfect in every way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The alcohol evaporates so fast, it was difficult to get this preview...such as it is

one of us
posted Hide Post
clap

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/Burford/Searcy%2...sfinalshaping017.jpg

Mr Weibe

As I viewed this area of the grip cap I wondered if the metal was just pushed over and could be reformed cold and dressed. If it was hit by your power tool, it will likely be missing. If it was just pushed over, you may have success tapping it back and dressing the area. Please let us know how you deal with this, and again, thanks for the effort to show us your talents. That is a very beautiful stock, and if the metal work is equal (it sure looks to be at this point), it will truely be a "best gun" in every sense.

Roger

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest B

How are we sitting for money? Are we Okay yet on the funds?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The alcohol evaporates so fast, it was difficult to get this preview...such as it is

FANTASIC in every way.....Thank you Mr. Wiebe, your skills, talent, art and donation are much to be admired....bless you!

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
jjs,
It sure looks like all your haggling with Denli really paid off for us. This is a beautiful stick of wood. Right now, I'm in admiration of all you've done for this project.

22WRF,
I think we're OK on funds for right now. We have knives that we will auction shortly and hopefully that will bring in enough money to get the guncases and some other items built.

To everyone, with regard to the raffle, our hope is to be in a position to start selling raffle tickets in late October. The rifle will make the rounds at SCI, the Custom Gun Guild show, Dallas Safari Club and then the NRA convention. If we get the ok, we'll have the raffle drawing at the NRA convention in early 2008.

I just can't get over how good the layout is on this stock. I don't think I've ever seen a blank with the grain so well matched to the finished stock. It almost looks fake. Maybe Duane is embellishing things with his magic marker.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a spectacular rifle! Well done by all of the great artisans working on this project.

I can't even say how tempted I am to just ask how much is expected to be raised form the ticket sales, and just cut the check and put the thing in my safe.

I rarely lust over rifles, but this one is just incredible.

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Yowza! Beautiful!

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
The grain through the wrist is amazingly angled to match the sweep of the pistol grip. How wonderful to see such a communion of style.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CAS II:
What a spectacular rifle! Well done by all of the great artisans working on this project.

I can't even say how tempted I am to just ask how much is expected to be raised form the ticket sales, and just cut the check and put the thing in my safe.

I rarely lust over rifles, but this one is just incredible.

Give us a check for $40,000 and it'll save us the hassle of the raffle. This rifle would just love to go to Africa along with with your 416 Rigby.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane,

That is superb work, with a good looking piece of wood to work with.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger R: Wish it were so...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While you weren't paying attention, I installed be rear swivel base...truth...I didn't notice I ran out of memory space!

Raising the grain by wiping with alcohol, then use a heat gun on "low"

After final sanding, scub with "Sctchbrite" to uncover areas needing more attention

Here are the actual sanding blocks and Porter Cable sander I used on this stock. Usually final sanding up to 320 is sufficient, then raise grain one final time and start the sealing process...these slight "wiskeers" will aid in filling grain while wet sanding.

This blank was pretty dense and a bit heavier than usual, so, we're drilling a couple holes to get rid of weight.

Using the mill, cut a few interrupted channels...between this and the buttstock treatment, we lost 3 ounces....I was pretty conservative, another oz. or two would have been possible.

For sealer, I use "Ship n' Shore" by Daly's in Seattle....REALLY slop it on all over…to the point of run off

I'll keep applying sealer for the next couple hours, let it dry for two days and repeat once more....we'll start the finishing next time

one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane, Thanks for posting the pictures and your process. Very Cool!

I was fasinated with Forests rifle stocks that you did that he posted here over the years.

I have a couple patterns I made out of old stocks, cutting up and used bondo fiberglass gel on. I spent many hours redoing the grips, cap and butt lines, lookin at photos and Alvin Lindens prints.

Very nice to see how you do it and get some of your measurements as reference and comparison.

Rick

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote