New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Silver-Lining Scholarship Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Johanv, 7x57 and if you start at the beginning of this thread, it will take you through the build.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Or you can buy a CD with all of the pictures! Big Grin

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted Hide Post
Love to! How much to send to Johannesburg, South Africa
J

Posts: 160 | Location: Johannesburg- South Africa | Registered: 27 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Got my CD today, very nice gentlemen, very nice. If you havent ordered one, you need to, it is a must have. I enjoyed it very much, the lay out is perfect...Thanks!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Received mine today also.
Thanks Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johanv:
Love to! How much to send to Johannesburg, South Africa
J
Johan,
I will check and get back to you.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srtrax:
Got my CD today, very nice gentlemen, very nice. If you havent ordered one, you need to, it is a must have. I enjoyed it very much, the lay out is perfect...Thanks!
Loud-n-boomer put the CD together and, of course, our craftsmen supplied the wonderful pictures. My son-in-law copied the CD's and I mail them out! Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
I apologize for the delay in updating you on the scholarship selection and award. The Scholarship Selection Committee has chosen a student/athlete by the name of Emily McLaughlin as the recipient of the 2008 Sheryl Searcy Memorial Scholarship. I made the announcement during the school's Senior Awards Program on May 15th. The total value of the award is $20,000 and will be paid out in $2,000, $4,000, $6,000, and $8,000 annual amounts over the next four years, so long as the renewal requirements are met. Emily will have to maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA and an Education “major†to collect the funds. All funds are paid directly to the university, for credit to the student’s account.

Prior to announcing our selection, I gave the audience a very brief summary of the scholarship rifle project that made such an award possible:

"It has been an exciting year for our scholarship fund. Because a group of sportsmen, most of whom had neither met Sheryl nor even heard of Pearland High School, decided that helping to “build a teacher†was a both a worthwhile endeavor and a fitting way to honor Sheryl’s memory. Although most individuals in this group knew each other only through an internet forum site, they came together as one around this cause. They commissioned the building of a sporting rifle of the very highest quality materials and workmanship, which they named the “Silver Lining Scholarship Rifleâ€. Requiring more than a year of hand-crafting by several world class craftsmen, this one-of-a-kind firearm was raffled this past January in Reno, Nevada. Because of the generosity and dedication of the men and women who conceived, executed, supported and contributed to this project and the revenue it raised, this year’s scholarship recipient will be eligible to receive over the next four years, as much as $20,000 toward his or her college education.

The recipient of the 2008 Sheryl Searcy Memorial Scholarship is:

Miss Emily McLaughlin."

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to Miss Emily. Forrest's goal is now reality.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just received my copy of the CD...Loud n Boomer really did a great job.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Me too! Nice work and thanks Glen.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1629 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Ordering mine today.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll be looking for it, Doug.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Check is in da mail!

Question for Duane.

After you mill the bottom of the island to match the barrel contour do you ever mill out the bottom ( on either end of the dovetail cut ) with a smaller diameter ball mill to lighten it up a bit or would that affect the strength of the soldered joint too much?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't be a bad idea...would make fitting a bit easier and lose weight, as you said I might suggest you mill, then skip a quarter inch or so to create an "island" for the solder. Also depends on the solder used...the stuff I use has a relatively high silver content. I see Brownells force 44 comes in a higher silver content also...Had a rib come loose once, been kinda gun shy since

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest or Duane, have you heard anything from the rifle winner ? Did they have a chance to hunt with this wonderful rifle yet?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxbear:
Forrest or Duane, have you heard anything from the rifle winner ? Did they have a chance to hunt with this wonderful rifle yet?

maxbear,

If you recall, I won the rifle and gave it to my wife. While I've done some hunting since then - she hasn't. The rifle is sitting in the safe and is currently sighted in with a 140 grain Nosler Partition load. My wife hasn't even shot it yet...I'm hoping she has forgotten that it is her's and I can steal it back. I'm a pretty lucky man, because my wife can't seem to tell one rifle from another. I had a new single shot laying out and I was sure she was going to ask about it, but she didn't seem to notice that it was totally different from the rest. We have a Montana horseback elk hunt booked in November, so maybe she will use it then. If not I'm going to take it out and kill something with it.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Yes you are a lucky man MHC. What a wonderful rifle.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
We should have included a clause that allows for repossession of the rifle due to lack of use.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
We should have included a clause that allows for repossession of the rifle due to lack of use.

max, get that thing out of the toy box and go kill a pig at least! .... and soon, too.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think it ought to revert back to the engraver...

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1629 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scrollcutter:
quote:

I think it ought to revert back to the engraver...

Funny! jumping

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4856 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MHC_TX:
quote:
Originally posted by maxbear:

maxbear,

If you recall, I won the rifle and gave it to my wife. While I've done some hunting since then - she hasn't. The rifle is sitting in the safe and is currently sighted in with a 140 grain Nosler Partition load. My wife hasn't even shot it yet...I'm hoping she has forgotten that it is her's and I can steal it back. I'm a pretty lucky man, because my wife can't seem to tell one rifle from another. I had a new single shot laying out and I was sure she was going to ask about it, but she didn't seem to notice that it was totally different from the rest. We have a Montana horseback elk hunt booked in November, so maybe she will use it then. If not I'm going to take it out and kill something with it.

MHC_TX , well I'm glad you have plans on hunting with the rifle. It would be hard to take this a beauty of a rifle out hunting the first time. You know whats going to happen!! It's just like a brand new pair of Overalls, I always seem to tear a whole in them the first day. But that's why these things are made, to use. Good thing I know how to sew [ not as good as Mom though ] What good are guns and overalls if they are locked up in solitary confinement.

Scrollcutter, you do fantastic work!!!!

I'm glad to see this thread was found again.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Great thread

Does anyone have a copy of the CD ??

I would really appreciate a loan or a sale.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11004 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Let me take a look. I had the original, but don't remember what I did with it.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks Duane. He is busy this week and has promised to get back next week.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11004 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Yer leading up to something Duane ?

popcorn he he

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would love to have a copy of this CD, are there any left for sale ? Who do I need to talk to about this ?

Does anyone still have a copy and would be willing to make me a copy ??

Thanks in advance.

Wyatt

Posts: 239 | Location: Southeast USA | Registered: 01 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glen 71 was in charge of these. he doesn't appear to be active on AR anymore. I tried to get in touch via Forrest B, but no luck there either.

Of note, is that the winner of the rifle lent it to his hunting buddy who bagged an elk in NM with it a couple weeks ago.

I'll try and find my copy..I think they are copywritten, but I understand the scholarship is used up anyway

Posts: 3426 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lost okie
posted Hide Post
I remember that; was it really that long ago?
Mike

Posts: 350 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 01 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lost okie:
I remember that; was it really that long ago?
Mike

It was.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
They were copy-righted by me when I edited the CD and put it all together to protect the scholarship. They were copy-righted so that they could not legitimately be copied and sold without permission, so that an unauthorized person would not sell them for personal gain. If Duane wants to make copies to sell or otherwise pass on, I am fine with that. Since Duane took the the photos and wrote the core of the descriptions, it is really much more his than mine.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for looking Duane. I hope you do find a copy. If not hopefully another forum member will find a old copy. Thanks in advance for any help.

Wyatt

Posts: 239 | Location: Southeast USA | Registered: 01 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately I don't have a CD to be duplicated.
Reading through this old thread though really makes me miss the old AR comraderie. I made so many friends through the years by virtue of this forum.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
Wyatt, PM me your address and I'll mail you my copy.

Mike

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, PM has been sent !

Thank you VERY much for responding. I had almost given up. If I can return the favor in the future just let me know.

Wyatt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just looked, I have all of the pictures saved.

Greg

Posts: 417 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Greg, if you could only find a way to repost those saved pictures in place of the old ones , it would restore a very informative thread !

Wyatt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not that good on the computer, I can send them to you if you want to try.

Greg

Posts: 417 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote