posted
I have some very sad news to report; Sheryl Searcy the wife of one of
our long time forum participants, Glen Searcy (Glen71), passed away
suddenly on April 6th. The AR forums have provided me the opportunity
to meet several people whom I wouldn't otherwise come to know. Certainly the
nicest, kindest of these people was Sheryl - with Glen running a close
second. There are several others here who were also fortunate enough to
have met Sheryl and Glen. Sheryl was only 55 years old when she died
and Glen and his family are obviously devastated by their loss.
Sheryl's love of and devotion to teaching gave her the opportunity to
leave a lasting impression on many young lives. There were over 800
people in attendance at Sheryl's memorial service. I wish every child
could have each of their teachers impact their lives in such a positive way
as Sheryl was able to do.

It's hard to imagine that there is some good that will come from such a
tragedy, but there is. To honor Sheryl and continue her legacy, the
Sheryl Searcy Memorial Scholarship Fund has been established to provide
college scholarship money to students who wish to devote their careers
to teaching. A few of us here who were brought together by AR, want to
contribute to this Scholarship Fund and we want to share this
opportunity with all of you. We also know you'll be more generous if
you're having a good time while giving. Individually we may not be
really good at many things, but the one thing we excel at is conjuring
up new ideas for custom rifles. So that's just what we're going to do.

We're going to design and have built a fine custom rifle and then raffle
it off to raise money for the Scholarship Fund. We'll need parts,
pieces and a little cash to get the rifle built. I'm going to get the
ball rolling by contributing an action and bottom metal. I have a
G.33/40 Mauser, a 1935 Chilean Mauser, and a pre-64 Model 70 in a long
Magnum configuration. We could use one of these actions and build
anything from a 257 Roberts to a 458 Lott. Do a little
day-dreaming and let us know what you'd like to see built and most
importantly what would tempt you enough to open wide your hearts and
wallets for a good cause. If you guys want to really get generous, I
have two 1935 Chileans we could use to build a pair of rifles that would
be raffled together.

Please go to Sheryl's online obituary and read the notes in the guest
book. We should all live our lives in such a way as to merit such
sentiment from those who know us.

Sheryl's Obituary

Think big and be prepared to give big. Let's hear your ideas on what to
build and how best to make this endeavor a success worthy of Sheryl's
legacy.

Glen, my heart goes out to you.

Forrest Bruch

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
To Glen,
I am very sorry for your loss. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

As for the schalorship rifle or rifles put me down for sling swivel studs. What ever is decided on. I assume barrel band and or two screw.

Wes

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest

I didn't know Glen or Sheryl, but I have considerable gratitude for the education I received in my life, and for the teachers that provided me with that education.

In reading the obituary there doesn't seem to be much information on whether Sheryl was an outdoors lady or not, and whether she liked the shooting sports.

Regardless, I think it would be fitting to build more of a lady's type rifle in her memory so its just my opinion that a .458 Lott would not be appropriate.

I can think of nothing better to honor Sheryl than perhaps making up that G.33/40 into a nice lightweight all American 7 x 57 hunting rifle, much like the G.33/40s you have shown us here on AR. Something that is nice but not too fancy. Something that the lucky raffle winner will hunt rather than retire permanently to the gunsafe.

If you go that route, I have a like new condition 1909 Argentine Mauser triggerguard/magazine along with a new Wisner straddle floorplate that would need to be fitted. It would also need to have a new release button made and fitted. I think that with a little shaping of the triggerguard by whoever does the metal work, it would make a nice addition to the project.

If you decide you can use it let me know. Also, I would like to know when you plan to start the project, and whether you have a "for sure" finish date in mind, and when the raffle would be held and how it would be held.

And finally, to Glen and his family, even though I do not know you, I am sorry for your loss. I am sure Glen that all of the Good Memories that you have of Sheryl will sustain you in the months and years to come.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I could afford to pony up for a set of NECG sights.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Regardless, I think it would be fitting to build more of a lady's type rifle in her memory so its just my opinion that a .458 Lott would not be appropriate.

You beat me to it. That's the first thing I thought when rading the above post. "If it's a rifle to remember a woman, then have it be a 'woman-appropriate' rifle".

quote:
Something that is nice but not too fancy. Something that the lucky raffle winner will hunt rather than retire permanently to the gunsafe.

Again, my same thoughts upon reading the initial post...

Something lightweight, svelte, and "classic", along the lines of a 7x57 or maybe a 270 Win....

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Glen,
you have my empathy for your loss.

Forrest, whatever I can do. I would suggest we do a rifle (like you said) the "aint an AR member ONLY" would own and hunt.

light and medium, perhaps even design for husband/wife or father and child...

Taking my wife and daughter as examples, they pretty much top out at 708, and may prefer that to the 257, but that's 6.../12 dozen ... But sticking to the theme of hunting rifle, let's and ammo at wally world.

so, let's say
257, 6mm, 708 or 7x57 (all of these are light kickers)

target weight, empty, ~8#

you decide action forrest, if it's a mauser, I have at elast the safety for it. Should have a commerical sporter stock i can copy for a LITE stock.

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38379 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest, I will donate a Shilen barrel.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
If you guys want a light rifle suitable for man, woman or child, we should go with the G.33/40 and build a 257 Roberts, 6.5X55, or 7X57. We can use 22 WRF's parts or I have a set of the Fisher/Blackburn round action bottom metal that would make into a very svelte package. All the parts donated thus far would work well for a classic mauser sporting rifle.

I have a couple of blanks that would be suitable and I'll post some pictures up later this week. If any of you have wood you'd like to see used, also get your pictures up or email them to me and I'll post them for you. We can get some feedback on what the group likes.

We're getting started on the rifle as soon as we get some consensus on what everyone wants see built. This is not an open-ended project. I'm hopeful we'll get enough participation that this is a true group project, and so-far-so-good. However, I entered into this with the willingness to underwrite the full cost of the project. I promise you it's not going to die on the vine. If need be, I'll pull a completed rifle out of the safe and we'll raffle that off.

The raffle we had for the 500 Jeffery that dphillips won worked out well (at least it worked out well for him). Unless someone has a better idea, we could run the raffle the same way.

Please pass the word on what we're trying to accomplish here. Thanks guys for your participation.

Forrest

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Forrest,
on the raffle - we can pull the rules from the searcy double rifle raffle. That seemed to work pretty well. We'll split the "ownership" of selection of winning, number assignment, collections, etc over several people

I swore, after the hornber brass, I wouldn't get involved in more PSA work, but here I am.

let's narrow it to 257 or 7x57 .. just to be precise

SO, I am in for wrangling the mechanics of the raffle process.. and donate a safety ... stock pattern if needed..

I don't want to PM the thing, though.

j

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38379 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can pony up the funds for a nice skeleton grip cap. Just PM or e-mail me with the address.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I have a new Bold Optima trigger problem is it has the side safety. Thought I had a Premium but guess not. So you guys are welcome to it. Looks to me like the safety bar could be removed or if someone has need of the one with side safety and wants to swap that is fine.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
We need somebody with talent to offer stock checkering and metal polishing and barrel installation and bluing.

You mean someone to do all the difficult, expensive stuff? Smiler

I'm working on that right now and it might turn out to be the easiest aspect of the project to line up.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I know it might be on the upper end of what most women might find tolerable to shoot, but I think the 9.3 X 62 ought to be considered. A great classic cartridge for a Mauser style action and a useful cartridge for just about anything in Africa, and the world for that matter. Is it too much for a woman?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElCaballero:
...put me down for sling swivel studs. What ever is decided on. I assume barrel band and or two screw.

Wes

Wes,
I'll put you down for a Talley or Gentry type banded sling swivel. I have an inletted rear sling swivel I'd like to use.

Could you give us a little cash to install the sling swivel?

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
I could afford to pony up for a set of NECG sights.

LD

We'll definitely take the sights. I'll put you down for a NEGC banded front sight and a one fixed, one folding rear sight. I'd like to use a quarter rib if possible, so I might be saving you the cost of an NEGC island sight. Do you care to donate the value of that item to go towards the quarter rib?

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Forrest, I will donate a Shilen barrel.
Butch

Very nice of you Butch. We'll definately take that. I'll get back to you with caliber and taper once we get a consensus.

Forrest

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 54JNoll:
I can pony up the funds for a nice skeleton grip cap. Just PM or e-mail me with the address.

Could I put you down for a Jerry Fisher grip cap instead? It would save us some inletting and checkering money, and the Fisher Cap would look right with the Fisher bottom metal.

Thanks

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:

I will instead offer a McFarland checkered bolt handle from Brownells (whichever style you prefer- i.e. 2 panel or 4 panel)

How about a Tom Burgess bolt handle we could have hand checkered or engraved? The cost of the bolt handle would be about the same, but we could end up with a nicer finished product.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
I have a new Bold Optima trigger problem is it has the side safety. Thought I had a Premium but guess not. So you guys are welcome to it. Looks to me like the safety bar could be removed or if someone has need of the one with side safety and wants to swap that is fine.

We'll definitely need a trigger. Let's wait and see what our metalsmith wants to do about the trigger before we make firm decision on the exact brand. Can I put you down as a full or partial contribution towards the trigger in the event the metalsmith wants to use something else?

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
If you want to go with a trap-door grip cap I've got a spare and/or a Dakota skeleton butt plate and grip cap here somewhere. Other odds and ends that might work too when I can see exactly where the design is going.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear about Sheryl's death, I met her this last winter in Reno at the guild show. Glen is a good customer of mine so I would like to donate the quarter rib.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can I put you down as a full or partial contribution towards the trigger in the event the metalsmith wants to use something else

Works for me.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Glen & Family, so sorry to hear of your tragedy.

Forrest, I can donate a stock blank.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
If Forrest will PM me with his contact information, I too would like to make a monetary contribution to this project that can be used in whatever way to get this gun built.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
(by the way, I don't know whether the lucky raffle winner would want a memorial shield inletted into the stock. Probably not. BUT I do think it would be appropriate to have some sort of brass shield inletted underneath the butt plate or recoil pad that has a small engraving that says something to the effect of
"built in memory of Sheryl Searcy".

What about putting that sentament on the inside of the magazine floor plate? Then it could be seen when the floor plate was openned. Underneath a recoil pad it would never be seen again.

Hog Killer

ps: I kind of like the 9.3x62 idea.

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everyone should also remember that even if you can’t/don’t contribute something for the rifle you can still donate money to the scholarship fund...or even do both if possible.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

A Jerry Fisher grip cap is fine by me. It's better to have everything flow together than appear as a mis-match.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
Forrest,

As I told you a couple weeks ago, I will donate a new Krieger barrel in whatever caliber/contour/twist/length you decide on. Just the barrel or I’ll have Krieger fit/chamber/crown it if you like...what fits the requirements.

Rick, you're right and I had forgotten about that when I told Butch that we'd use his Shilen barrel donation. I think between the two of you, and with Mark Stratton's quarter rib donation, we'll have all the parts and money needed to barrel the rifle as well as dress the barrel. If all three of you will give us just a little longer to do some planning, and to get a metalsmith's input, we'll know exactly what is needed.

Thanks a whole bunch Rick; you've taken on a big chunk of this rifle for us. You're really showing your softer side now. You need to go raise some hell on another thread now so people don't get the wrong idea about you.

We all owe you a debt of gratitude for moving this project along from its very inception.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Forrest, I can donate a stock blank.

I was hoping to hear from you. It's so kind of you to let me select a blank of my own choosing from your entire collection. Smiler

I'll give you a call to talk about what you have in mind.

Thanks so much.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Sounds like I don't have any parts or pieces that are needed but I can certianly rust blue it. Barring that, I'll kick in some cash.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sheryl Searcy Special

Put it on the barrel, left side just forward of the receiver ring. Gold or platinum inlay. I'd think it an honor to own such a rifle. Do it in her handwriting too. Find place to discretely insert a small roll of paper with the names of those who contributed to have it built...somewhere in the stock I'd guess.

Be happy to contribute if somebody wants to tell me how and where...

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Oh my word! If nothing else good comes from this effort, the mere fact we got DigitalDan out of the Ignorance Crater for even a short while is reward enough. Thanks for your ideas, hopefully we'll get some input from an engraver as to what could tastefully be done.

Here's how we're going to handle cash donations: Make a check out to the Sheryl Searcy Memorial Scholarship Fund then mail it to me. Write "rifle project" in the memo line on your check. We'll pay the miscellaneous building costs from out of the Fund, so that all contributors can take a tax deduction on their contribution.

My address is:

Forrest Bruch
4238 Dartmouth St.
Houston, TX 77005

Tiggertate, don't think I'm ignoring your parts offer. I've spent a good chunk of the afternoon on the phone with various gunsmiths, trying to get a handle on their ideas for the rifle and an idea on parts that will be required. Cash will be king in this endeavor, but I'll give you a call about the parts requirements as soon as I know more.

Thanks,
Forrest

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I guarantee that this thoroughbred will not be mistaken for a camel when we're finished. This will be a one-of-a-kind custom rifle that collectors and hunters will lust after for generations to come.

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
I too had the pleasure of meeting Sheryl in Reno and I am deeply saddened by this news. My heart goes out to Glen. Looks like most of the labor is covered but if something comes up that I can help with please dont hesitate to ask.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glen:

Our hearts and prayers go out to you and your family, may God bless each and everyone in your time of need. Please accept our deepest sympathy and condolences on the loss of Sheryl.

Teachers are to be admired and once in a while there is a special teacher who touches a young life for the better, I had one such teacher.

It is readily apparent that Sheryl touched so many young lives, you have much to remember and cherish. Sheryl has left a great legacy that will live on....God rest her soul...

Forrest,

I going to leave the details up to you and others here better qualified to spec. out the rifle(s). I know you will make this a special rifle and undertaking. My input... a classic chambering would be very nice, say a 7x57 or similar classic...

When you get further along with the details, please let me know what I can do....

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doh-

I guess I wasn't paying enough attention.

Meeting Glen at Reno was one of the highlights of my trip.

What a great guy.

I'm clueless as to what I could contribute to the project, but I am so sorry, Glen.

I can only imagine that your wife would be at least as great as you.

What a loss.

flaco

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
I am moved beyond words at your kindness and generosity. I should not be surprised, as I have seen you in action before. However, when it is expressed toward my dear wife, well, it strikes a lot closer to home.

ForrestB is doing his usual, excellent work on this, so I am going to stay out of his way. I will, however, attempt to address some of your questions concerning my wife and her outdoor interests.

Sheryl was an enthusiastic fisherwoman but did not hunt. Coming from a family of deer hunters and marrying one, she understood the value and necessity of hunting, but she was just too tender-hearted. You had better not, however, get between her and a platter of fried venison backstrap! She enjoyed handgun plinking and was getting pretty good at breaking clays with her 20ga. Citori.

She had an appreciation for the beauty and craftmanship of fine guns and had a pretty good sense of the many hours of labor that went into making them. I had been taking her to the ACGG show in Reno off and on since the early 90's. She also had seen me spend countless hours turning english walnut into mostly sawdust in my garage shop! Although she would roll her eyes whenever UPS delivered "another" stock blank, she always ooh'ed and ahh'ed when I put the first sealer coat on a new stock.

As for what type of rifle to build, I think she would say build whatever YOU want. That it is being conceived and executed in her honor and to benefit her students would thrill her to tears...just as it has me.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

I'm on for the front sight, rear blade(s), and the cost of an island base. Let me know what sizes to order, and it will be done.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I knew if I waited long enough, I'd get the opportunity to repay the favor I owe around here. I'd like to help out by building the rifle for you guys if Glen would like. Just tell me what you want done by me and if I can do it, I will.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
...I'd like to help out by building the rifle for you guys if Glen would like.
Duane, having admired your work for years I am humbled by your offer to participate, and I accept!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote