Find
Notify
Tools

The Silver-Lining Scholarship Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
If they have a PayPal account, all they need is your email address.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
Duane, please don't feel obligated to follow the pattern drawn on the blank.

Duane, good thing Forrest cleared that up for you. I'm a connect-the-dots kind of person myself but still thought there was something wrong with the drawing on that stock. I'm pretty sure once you're finished that it will look better.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
Duane, please don't feel obligated to follow the pattern drawn on the blank.

jumping Thanks, Forrest. I needed a good laugh.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
We've received some nice donations in the last couple of days.

For starters, our friends in Europe are taking advantage of the strong Euro and are fomenting a hostile takeover of the engraving part of our project. Stu C, Wink, and JB Runz have sent us some serious money to be put towards Roger Kehr's work.

craigster sent us a very nice donation today.

7X57 also sent us a wonderful donation. Thanks, Tom.

My wife wants to know who all these people are who will send me checks from all over the world. She's incredulous when I tell her, "just some guys I met on the internet". cheers

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,
Is it possible to get a quick recap of where we're up to? We've settled on the wood from Denli. The Lilja barrel has been ordered by Mark Stratton. Is the action now with Tom Burgess? Anything else of interest going on behind the scenes? Must be some challenging logistical operations happening, getting everything together.

- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Stu,
You've pretty much outlined everything going on with regard to the rifle build. I'll ask Burgess to give us an update when he starts on the metal work.

Aside from the rifle itself, quite a bit is going on. Glen and his family have chartered a non-profit entity that will fund the scholarship awards. This was a big step because it enables us to handle larger donations that may require receipts for tax purposes, as well as donations from other non-profit entities. A web page is being constructed and that'll be important when we start the raffle sales.

We need to start thinking about how we might display the rifle at SCI, Dallas and Houston Safari Club shows. Those shows would offer good opportunities for fund raising. It might be good to have the drawing at one of those venues or maybe the NRA convention.

Publicity is the big project on the horizon. We'll need a lot of help with that.

Also, everyone should remember to look at the Denli website if you are interested in purchasing a blank at the same time we buy the blank for our scholarship rifle. We're getting a 10% discount on all other purchases. http://www.denli-gunstocks.com/

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know when the Safari clubs meet in Texas, the the next NRA Convention is the 13-15 of April next year in St. Louis. I have a booth there each year and I think this is the kind of event the NRA might like. Perhaps they might give you a booth to display the rifle and sell a few more tickets. Someone might contact Jeff Poole at the "Shows and Events" department of the NRA and see what they can do. I went to the last booth rental time for next years show and there weren't many left. Someone might want to place this item on their short list on things to do.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Lilja barrel blank has arrived. I think the first item of business is to thank Virginia Thomson at Lilja for walking this barrel through their factory cutting the delivery time from 10 to 12 weeks, to just 4 weeks. Most manufactures won't do this for a customer, but Lilja decided to help us out with our worthy cause. If some of you were to send them a "Thank You' email you wouldn't be off base.

Here is a set of drawings for the barrel. I sent a copy to Forrest and he is going to post the drawings. I didn't include the quarter rib because I want to see the action first. I want to carry through the same theme that Tom has used in his design.

I want you to remember that this is a light stalking rifle when you see the drawings. Let me know what you think. We all are taking part in this project weather you're cutting metal or making a donation, it's all important.

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Mark:

Thanks for the update!

I will be sending Virginia Thomson an email thanking her for all of her and Lilja's efforts on this project's behalf.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Here are Mark's drawings for the barrel.

I'm anxious to see what it will look like with the quarter rib.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest, et. al.:

How about posting the appropriate e-mail addresses (such as Ms. Thomson's) for all those folks that we need to thank for their generosities?

All I've got to say about Mark's proposed barrel is "Gulp"! I like it!

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The email address for Ms. Thomson is virginia@riflebarrels.com, I don't want to clog her email with our thanks, hell, lets do it anyway, it might make her day. Also, Lilja makes a fine barrel, you might consider it for your next rebarreling project.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest:

Can you email the images for the barrel and specs to Eric Anderson and I? I think this is something that would be appropriate for what we are trying to put on the memorial rifle website.

577NitroExpress

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
No need to send it to me, I saved it from this thread.

I like it! This is exactly what I'm looking for.

Mark, can you send myself or Nitro a small paragraph about the barrel that I can include with the pictures?

Eric

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone. Some more good things happened for us this week. Of note, we received some more donations to help pay what we'll owe for the stock blank after Denli's generous donation. 22WRF and jjs have each made very nice donations towards the stock blank. Several guys here deserve special recognition for all the time and money they've donated, and I'm going to make sure they get the recognition they deserve. jjs in particular deserves a medal of honor. No one has done more to make this project a success than this man; we all owe you a big THANK YOU Jim.

Our man in France,Wink , is also coming through for us again. He's been busy rounding up donations from our European friends and making sure they get to us. He's given a lot on his own but he's really making it easy for the Euro crowd to participate. This week it's Ted Gorsline who's giving us an extra nice donation that will go towards the engraving.

Just today we found out that Ed LaPour is donating one of his three-position safeties to be used on our rifle. This is a great donation for us; it saves us a lot of money and its an absolute first rate product. Ed just starting making this line of safeties for the M98 and he's made some real improvements over similar safeties.

Below is a picture of the safety, and you can see more of his offerings on his website:
www.edlapourgunsmithing.com

Thanks a whole bunch, Ed.

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ed... Thats a beauty.

Do we have any idea when the rifle will be complete? I know it is early but what is your feeling on it?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
That is a good looking safety, a big improvement over his earlier designs. Nice to see he also offers them for CZ550s, ZKKs, Enfields/Rem30s, Springfields, etc.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, thanks Ed. I looked on your website, but couldn't find any prices listed.

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do we have a trigger yet?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do we have a trigger yet?

Well let me say yes and no.

I had contacted Blackburn. They said they had it in stock and were to send it directly to Tom. Two weeks later I called Blackburn back and they had lost the order. So I reordered it on a Friday(May19th I believe). Then on the next Monday they called to say they were out and it would be 6 weeks or so. They are to send it to Tom when they have one.

I had exchanged emails with Tom. He said he had one in stock that he would use and replace it when Blackburn sent him my order.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good, Tom has one in stock to be replaced with the unit you ordered. I got a shippment from Blackburn a few weeks ago and I have a extra. I don't want Tom to be held up, I'm the next in line.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Last month, I was talking to Duane about the theme of the rifle. We talked about the scope requirements for this project. He and I agreed that a Leupold VX III 1.5-5x20mm would fill the bill. I contacted Myrna Faris in Leupold's marketing department and told her of our cause. Leupold has donated the scope we requested. I would like to thank Leupold and Myrna for the scope. I think a thank you might be in order from the group, Her email address is Mfaris@leupold.com. If your in the market for a new shooting optics, you can't go wrong with Leupold.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's great news! Thanks for making that happen. I suspect that your relationship with Leupold had as much to do with it as did the project.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leupold has in the past used my work in their catalog so I got to know a few of the people in their marketing department. Myrna is great to work with, we are both baseball fans and I almost had talked into a Brewers game in Milwaukee last month.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I understand that Leupold also now offers some types of engraving on their scopes. I don't think we're talking about English scroll here but it may be possible to have something related to Sheryl Searcy Memorial Scholarship engraved on the scope. Since some manufacturers in Europe (Zeiss) will provide in the white scope tubes and bells for engravers before building the scope, that could also be looked into with Leupold. I think it would be classy to have the scope and rings wear the same engraving style as the rifle and in some instances having the scope finished with the same finish as the rifle can look good too. I can't fault the choice of a 1.5-5 X 20mm as I own three rifles which wear the same scope and I know Duane likes them as well. I probably would have picked a 1.75-6 or 2.5-8 for the 7 X 57 caliber however.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 160 | Location: Mississippi USA | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

That must have been made for a pimp....

577NitroExpress

one of us
posted Hide Post
You know guys, this is a stalking rifle. This rifle is being built with lite wieght theme which is why the 1.5-5x40mm was chosen. There's not a lot on surface area on the scope after it's being held into position by the rings. The eye piece is the only thing which many have some surface area, but the shooter might need to adjust it suitting his needs leaving the engraving, perhaps in a non viewing position.

Now I'm just the barrel guy, I asked Leupold for the scope because of my contacts. But the engraving will be handled by someone else, but I don't think we can go back to Leupold and ask for an engraving job. If the scope is engraved there are issues like bluing, and the scope will be needed to be taken apart. I'm sure Leupold will do this but at a price.

Just something to think about...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just my opinion, but unless the rifle was being given to a family member I cannot see where engraving Sheryl’s name or the name of the foundation on the rifle and/or scope would be a real smart or practical thing to do.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
Just my opinion, but unless the rifle was being given to a family member I cannot see where engraving Sheryl’s name or the name of the foundation on the rifle and/or scope would be a real smart or practical thing to do.
I agree. IMO a scope is a removeable and interchangeable accessory, at least on a weapon that is actually used. I don't feel engraving (of any kind) should be put on it.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
This week we got a big fat donation from mufasa who has been very helpful from the beginning of this project. We also received a terrific donation from fireball168 who found the PayPal option to be an easy way to contribute.

jjs is handling our stock blank order with Denli Walnut. Any of you who want to participate in our 10% discount can contact Denli directly with your orders. You can PM jjs if you need special help with the particulars of your order. Please note that Denli will be adding new blanks to his website shortly. I've seen pics of some of the new blanks and he has some nice ones.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I'll second what Forrest has to say about taking advantage of Denli's discount offer to AR folks. My two Denli blanks are the finest sticks I have ever owned. They are generally less expensive than what you will pay stateside for comparable Turkish and what you see on Ali's website is what you will get, no disappointments.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

Thanks for leading the charge here....all of us owe you a big debt.... This is a great project and I feel very fortunate to be able to particpate with all you guys and gals....

Several AR members have placed orders with Denli and Ali Denli has responded by increasing his already significant contribution for blank #701.

No one should feel obligated to work through me, just advise Ali Denli that you are an Accurate Reloading member and he will provide you the 10 percent discount. I will be more than happy to help if need be....

Our blank 701 should be on the way soon....

Best,

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I'll be offline for about a week. When I get back I expect to find the rifle is finished and ready to auction.

I deposited about $1200 into the Scholarship Fund account today. The ladies at the bank recognize me now and know all about the Scholarship Fund. I need an excuse to go back to the bank and visit, so SEND ME SOME MORE MONEY!

When I get back, I'll update the accounting and post the running talley. It looks like we're in good shape to get the rifle built, but we will need some money to cover publicity and shipping expenses when we get the rifle out on the road.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest

What has been done on the Rifle so far?

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I know Burgess has been working on the action. I'll have to contact him for an update.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark Stratton mentioned in an email about a week ago that Tom had sent the receiver out for heat treatment. I assume that means he has completed most of the work on the receiver.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a little update Wink...

Denli blank #701 has arrived in the good ole USA. I think the blank looks even better than the photos...fantasic figure, nice bit of fiddleback, and a bit darker than photos showed.
cheers

We all owe Ali and Denli a big thank you for their wonderful contribution on a one of a kind Turkish Blank thumb

Best,

jjs

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I'm going over to Jim's in the morning to pick mine up. You guy's won't be too disappointed if they should happen to mixed up and I take #701 by mistake?

sofa
Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Well, I went over to (JJS) Jim's house this morning to pick my blank up. I tried to make it out the door with one of Jims other blanks, but he was watching me like a hawk so I had to settle for the one I purchaced animal.

I've talked to Jim a few times on the phone, but met him in person today for the first time. He's a super nice person, it was an honor.

Anyway, #701 was sitting at his house and I had my camera so,,,, I snapped a few pictures. I can't wait to see what it's going to look like after it's finished. It's a masterpiece just in the blank form.

Oh well here it is.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote