Find
Notify
Tools

The Silver-Lining Scholarship Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Wow. I'd be blind in about 10 minutes. Thanks for sharing.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger, how in the HELL did you cut dead straight lines and perfect circles in that ring? Awesome work!!! I got goose bumps just lookin' at it. This is going to be one unbelieveable rifle when it's done.

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger

Excellent work, as always.
Of all of the engravers that I have seen your work/application/patterns appeals to my eye and taste more than anyone else.
Keep up the good work.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Clean, tasteful and beautiful!

And also functional, insofar as the stippling is concerned. What kind of tool do you use for that?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13328 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Roger:

Excellent engraving, and excellent pictures! It is so nice to see somebody who knows what they are doing post some real top quality pictures.

I'm saving this entire thread (with special care for the excellent pictures) so I will have it when I later win this rifle! Smiler

Well, I can't dream, can't I?

John

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger,

That sure is beautiful.
Thanks for the photos.

Don

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the complimentary posts.

mrlexma:

I grind a 1/8" carbide rod to a point and tip it off with a very small flat. Maybe .003-.004.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1629 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
I will be inlaying a small amount of gold wire border. Just enough for a bit of accent. I'm doing a thick and thin border on the barrel and bolt sleeve, and a fine single platinum line in each of the sight leaves.

I will need two wire diameters in gold. One at .032 and the other will be .015. I make my own wire by pulling it through a progressively smaller carbide die plate.

After I lay out the lines, I cut a single v-line for the flat cutters to follow.

Cut the inlay cavity to fit. Followed by cutting dovetails on all sides of the cavity to retain the gold wire.

Cut off the excess gold.

Flush off the gold with a Tam O' Shanter stone and we're done with this side.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1629 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
I really admire your work, Roger.

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
I've heard how that is done but never seen it put in that manner. VERY nice work, and thank you for the pictures and the details..."SWEET"

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Kehr, that is incredible work! To have to use a microscope and see that outstanding detail is beyond me. Thanks for the pictures.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
thumb

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't suppose anyone is more delighted than I am..Roger...the work is beyond expectation..I'm proud to be a part of the project...

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is the metalwork out for finishing now? Who is doing it and how will it be done?

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane and Roger, great folks to have coming together on a masterpiece. Congratulatons guys, wonderful work.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howard...guess I should answer that...the chamber is unfinished. I ordered a new reamer ala 275 Rigby ...it did not arrive beore I shipped the metal to Roger. the chamber is now cut with a roughing reamer...to be finished upon final assembly...reason: the SAAMI 7x57 has a VERY LONG throat to accomodate 175 gr bullets. Though the rifle will bear the caliber designation of "7x57"...there will be an explanation that the chamber is short throated...winner will have the option to leave as is or lenghten in case throat for 175 gr. bullets is actually wanted. With 275 Rigby specs, the rifle should perform admirably with 140-150 gr bullets and zip along good velocity

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
I intend to ship the rifle to Duane next week, sans floorplate. While Duane is finishing the barrel and sighting in the rifle I will finish the floorplate. Then back to me for rust bluing.

I am definitely the slow link here gents. Forrest wanted the engraving to be subtle and diminutive (which I completely agree with, by the way). Less is more doesn't really apply to time spent on the job, however. I have a great deal of time wrapped up in design and redesign. I want my work to, at least, approach the quality of the rest of the artisans associated with this project.

We're getting close guys!

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now that's what I call "Made in America"!!!

Awesome work all the way around.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
quote:
I want my work to, at least, approach the quality of the rest of the artisans associated with this project.

Scrollcutter

One expression comes to mind when I look at your work. "As good as the best and better than the rest"

For my money, it appears all who have had anything to do with this rifle fall into that class. I might add I have really appreciated all the photos the craftsmen have so kindly provided. I do hope someone makes a CD of them.

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Idared:

I am putting the CD together, and am planning a trip up to Seattle to get with Roger and Duane to finalize photos and text in early December, by which time the rifle should be finished. I promise that the CD will not take as long as the AR Africa Book.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Dave

That is fantastic news. I'll be waiting for it to appear.

Many thanks

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
popcorn

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello ladies and gentlemen: I've had the priveledge of seeing the almost completed engraving. Roger sent me the necessary parts to finish off the chamber. I used the 275 Rigby reamer, but lengthend the throat to accept many 140 gr. bullets by major mfg...seated with the base of the bullet at the juncture of the neck and shoulder..only needed a few thou...Federal ammo fit just fine and that's what I used to sight in irons...got lucky! spot on! Metal was returned to Roger 11-20-07...won't see it again until final assembly. I did take photos of the engraving, but will leave it to Roger to post. This is one pretty little rifle (if I say so myself) I suppose i t would be in poor form if I won it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wiebe

I don't see any reason whatsoever why you shouldn't win it, or Scrollcutter, or anyone else that worked on it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
popcorn

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Like a 10 year old waiting up all night for x-mas, throw this dog a bone of some kind... nilly

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
22 WRF...thanks! I've been shooting in some big stuff lately. This little 7x57 is such a joy to shoot! Just about no recoil...anyhow...I'm going to buy as many tickets as I can afford....what the hell...one or two anyway...

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
What's the deal on buying tickets...yeah I know it is somewhere in 16 pages

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike: I've passed on the question re tickets to Forrest B..I suspect he'll post soon. Now...anyone attending the FEGA show at the Silver Legacy in Reno, NV 1-25/27 Jan 2008. can see this rifle up close at my table. I'm trying to twist Scrolcutter's arm to be there also. I'll keep you posted as events develop

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger,
I think that you have the wrong rifle.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Duane,

Gunmaker and I will be there. It would be great to visit with you and Scrollcutter. Let me add a little more twist to his arm so he might consider being there.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hope you've been working out...he's a pretty big guy!

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Duane,

I kind of knew that. Your supposed to be helping me...remember??? Wink

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I'm getting scared. We have one month before our rifle is unvieled at the Dallas Safari Club show and the rifle is still not ready. Without the rifle we can't do the photography, which means we can't prepare the publicity materials. Without the rifle, we don't have time to have a case built that is fitted to the rifle. We're in a real bind.

What we do have is a beautiful knife, custom built for our project by Mike Williams. Mike is a Master Bladesmith and a man with a heart as big as his talent. He met with Duane last year in Reno and made plans to build a knife to benefit our project. Mike really outdid himself with this creation. I apologize for not having a better photo, but this one will have to do for now. Look at Mike's website to see better photos of some of his beautiful work:
www.williamscustomknives.com

The knife is at Duane's shop waiting to get paired with the finished rifle for the publicity photos. All we need is the rifle.

With regard to casing the rifle...Doug Sanders aka dougaboy has donated one of Dick Murray's leather cases. Dick has sent the case to Americase so that it can be fitted into one of their deluxe custom travel cases. Americase builds very high quality goods (I have several of their cases) and they have been wonderful to deal with. Importantly, Americase is working hard to finish the custom built case within the tight time frame we have forced on them. If anyone out there needs a tough gun case, contact Mars at www.americase.com and they can fix you right up. Just don't ask them to build it in two weeks the way we have.

I'm really going to need some help with the publicity posters and fliers. If any of you have experience or contacts in this area and are willing to help us please let me know. We only have a month and over a week of that time will be lost to Christmas and New Year's. Even if you don't have experience or contacts, I could use some help!!! Mostly though we need a rifle.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What can I do?
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Forrest:

I will also help. Additionally, I have made arrangements with Duane and Roger to get with them and put together the CD showing the progress of construction. I will fly up to Washington when the rifle is ready.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I'd like to have the CD finished before the shows so that we can run it on a loop at the events and either sell copies or give them away with some multiple of ticket sales. Any chance the CD can be finished by the first week of Jan?

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Forrest:

Completion of the CD is dependent on completion of the rifle, but I will do the best I can. I have seen most of Duane's stuff, and it will need very little editing, but I do not yet know the status of Roger's photos and will have to work with him on captions when I am there.

Dave

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
22WRF:

Thank you for the suggestion. I will see if I can get anything from them. However, I don't want to let anything elso delay the project.

Dave

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Mike Williams is sending a CD of knife making photos that I will pass along to Dave for inclusion in our CD.