Find
Notify
Tools

The Silver-Lining Scholarship Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
I only speak for myself, but I love reading and seeing photos of the project's progress.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This would be an exceptional knife to offer with the gun.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KEN-McFALL-INTEGRAL-CUSTOM-KNIFE-KN...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna say it, I think the knife is ugly, the blade design at least.

knife A here is a good design

here is another I like

Nothing wrong with these either

There are many great custom knife makers out there, the blade show is the same time as the ACGG. Maybe if somebody involved in this project is there they can stop by and see who does good work and see about getting a custom piece done, have engraving done to match.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys,

I've been asked to build the scope rings for this project. We've changed the rings from the Burgess rings to Dave Talley rings. I've started to do the work today, the day after Christmas and hope to finish in a week or two. The first step in the process is to find out what the geometry of the G33/40 is. I need to make mating blocks of steel so there is no visibile gap between the bases and receiver. I need to mount the receiver between centers and set the fixture to 180-degrees and run a dial indicator over the bottom of the receiver. This is to adjust the receiver so it is square in the fixture. When it square, I turn the fixture 180-degrees to place the rear bridge dead on top.

Most gunbuilders either use a 30 or 34 degree angle on the rear bridge and I needed to see what angle Tom used. I also need to check the radius on the top of the rear bride. For this measurement I set the height guage to zero at the top of the bridge and measure the distance to the fixture's aubor. The aubor is .700 in diameter and you divide that number by 2 to get the radius and add the distance from the top the bridge to the aubor. In this case the angle of the sides of the bridge were 30-degrees and the radius over the top is .535 of an inch. I can now make the correct mating base.

Another dimension is need is the difference in height between the front reciver ring and reas bridge. I simply set the dial indicator t zero at the top of the rear bridge and take a reading at the receiver ring. In this case with a small ring G33/40 the difference was .097. Here are 2 photos of this inspection process.

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=460133&c=557&z=1"] [/url]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's the second photo..

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=460147&c=557&z=1"] [/url]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest asked me to give an update on the knife for the project.

I contacted Gene Ingram, and he is going to build some knives for the project. One will go wtih the rifle, and a couple will be auctioned off separately. He is goign to build the handles using wood from the same blank that the stock is going to be made from, so the kives will match nicely.

Here is an example of what the knives will look like with walnut handles:

The blade and handle geometries will be different from what is shown, as I gave Gene a bit of rein to make knives that would show off the wood, and be fitting for a project of this quality.

Gene is aiming to have the knives done in January.

Forrest can fill in the details of auctioning the knives.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don I do like those. I actually spent a couple of hours after my post going through the listing of blade society members looking at different things, real cool. Personally I have no problem with the stock removal method, and sure is much more affordable!!! My uncle is retired and every time he comes to visit I try convincing him to get into making knives as he is an absolute knife nut (no expensive ones as he is too practical with his money, but lots of old ones he finds).

CASII- I like the blade shape of the top knife in the first pic, bottom in the second. will be interesting to see what he turns out, especially if he does some fancy pins for the scales and uses a fancy stabilized burl of some sort. I have a knife in the garage made by a local maker with a french green linen micarta handle that is probably my favorite blade design ever, but more of an all around knife than just a hunter as the blade is about 5". Reminds me....I am going to contact him tomorrow....

Has it been decided then to be auction for sure rather than raffle? Frowner that's too bad, I don't have much extra money but would have loved to buy a couple of tickets and dream.

Mark, thanks very much for all these great informational posts and pics!!! I am going to print the whole thread out when project is over.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Ingrams are great. No problem. But what about Marking them as project knives? I.e. doesn't look like much room for Scrollcutter to cut a few scratches in them and mark them up. Maybe inlaid metal in the handles or something?

Mr. Stratton

Maybe all of these photos you have posted of this project could go into your UPDATED book that I am looking forward to buying.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In typical Gene Ingram fashion, the fantastic knives were delivered on time. Once again Gene exceeded my expectations.

Not pictured are zippered cases for each individual knife.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Those are nice CAS. How about the auction? I'd like own one of those.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Stand in line Terry, everyone is going to want to bid on one of these knives.

Charley, this is just a fantastic effort from you in organizing the build and terrific work from Gene Ingram. Do you have any ideas on how you'd like to see an auction go for these knives? We could do a single auction, and the five highest bidders would each win a knife. Another idea is to spread out the auctions over the course of a few months for greater exposure and interest. Let us know what you'd like to do.

For those who may not know, these knives were each build by Gene with scales cut from the same stock blank as will be used on the Scholarship Rifle. Duane Wiebe trimmed the blank and sent the wood on to CAS for the knives. These are VERY special knives.
I can't say thank you enough to Gene and Charley for their efforts.

On another note, we have to say thanks to many generous people who attended the AR dinner in Dallas this past weekend. I don't pass up many opportunities to talk about our project and when I had a captive audience of 50 or so gun enthusiasts, I just couldn't help myself. JJS passed a hat to the group and they soon raised $900 just to get me to shut up. THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO WAS THERE - WHETHER YOU CONTRIBUTED TO NOT. Thanks for your donation and thank you for putting up with my arm-twisting. Just keep in mind, it's for a great cause.

We'll be back shortly with more about the knife auction.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stand in line Terry, everyone is going to want to bid on one of these knives.

Just let me know when the auction starts banana

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
is the metalwork finished and being stocked now?

One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
I'm a bit new here and haven't been following this thread but it appears to be a wonderful thing you are doing.

Glen Searcy my heart goes out to you.

ForrestB, I thank you for doing this. You have aided my family in a time of need. It seems to be a gift you have. Thank-you deeply! It's great to see you all doing this for one of your friends.

If I can aid in any way please let me know what the project needs are or what the next project is so that I might join in. The rifle is looking awesome.
Trez

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker
Curious about who Jesus is? Click hereChristianity-or- contact me

Posts: 485 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest, Do we have a progress update?

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
This is a good time for an update on our project and an appropriate time to reflect on our purpose.

Mark Stratton still has the metal work and recently told Duane Wiebe it will be in his hand's shortly for stocking. Mark signed on to install a barrel on the rifle but has ended up giving us an octagon barrel with quarter rib and sights. He's also installing some beautiful custom scope mounts on the rifle. We put a lot on Mark's plate and he's been a real gentleman to take on much more work than we told him about ahead of time.

It has been almost a year since Sheryl passed away. Fortunately for all of us, Sheryl leaves a little of herself in each of the many students she taught through the years. If you read through her online obituary, you'll see heartfelt comments from her students including many students who have long since graduated but still have loving memories of a dedicated teacher.

The purpose of the Sheryl Searcy Memorial Scholarship Fund is to educate another (or, if we're lucky, several) teachers who will have the same positive impact on young lives as Sheryl had. We're building a rifle to help the cause; but as I like to say, we're really building a teacher.

Around here, baseball and softball season has already started. It reminds me of a really cute photo of Sheryl (the "Hometown Hero") throwing out the first pitch at an Astros game.

During the time I've been involved in this project, I've been regularly surprised at the acts of generosity that have helped our cause. This week it happened again. I bought a rifle from one of our AR forum members, "M16". As I paid M16, he said he wanted to donate all the money to the Scholarship Fund. Believe me, it was not chump change either. M16, thank you and a big pat on the back to all who have helped our project along. We're a little behind our original schedule, but we're continually making progress and have raised enough money to support a scholarship grant this year.

Trez, thanks for your compliment and offer to help. The only gift I have is to be in the right place at an opportune time and to find myself surrounded by lots of generous people. You have lots of talent and I'm sure you'll come up with an idea that benefit the Fund. Maybe you could give some thought as to our next rifle project?

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
I'll give it some thought. I'm sure I can come up with a start point if we can find some new blood (or old), to work on a new one. Don't want to over do anyone.
Trez

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker
Curious about who Jesus is? Click hereChristianity-or- contact me

Posts: 485 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I want to echo Forrest's comments on the amazing generosity shown by the many contributor's to this effort. You guy's definitely "rock"!

In a timely bit of news, the Pearland ISD School Board announced in their January public meeting that the new junior high school will be named "Sheryl Searcy Junior High". My daughter, grandson, sister, mother-in-law, and I were present at the meeting. There was a break in the meeting after the announcement during which most of the board came out into the audience to congratulate us and express how deserving of this honor Sheryl was. This was a very happy occasion, but there were very few dry eyes on either side of the podium. I'd bet that Sheryl has been turning cartwheels up in heaven over this!

I am trying to find out details as to the schedule for completion and dedication of the the school. I will post the information when I get it.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
the Pearland ISD School Board announced in their January public meeting that the new junior high school will be named "Sheryl Searcy Junior High".

That is an amazing honor, so richly deserved from what I have read and heard about Mrs. Searcy. Glen, you and your family must be very proud!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I would like to commend LJS, a member that I recently purchased some G&H rings from. He asked that the money be donated to the scholarship fund and I honored his request. I think he is a hell of a guy!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2247 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boy it sure would be nice is somebody had some recent updated photos of the project to post on here Big Grin

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Hey Forrest,
I sure would love to see some more WIP pics... this is an EXCELLENT thing, all the way around
jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38379 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
I sure would love to see some more WIP pics...

You and me both. We'll just have to wait for Mark Stratton to get un-buried so he can finish with his part of the project. I haven't spoken with Mark in a while, but I understand through the grapevine that he's been sidetracked lately.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I received the action, barrel and scope from Mark a couple weeks ago. Mark has some issues that did not allow completion of the metal, but was kind enough to send them to me for some primary layout, inletting, etc.....so,,,as the saying goes...the monkey is now on my back! This came at a time when my plate was pretty full, but I'm shoving some things around and will start sending some WIP photos soon, I'll be inletting the action, but then will have to wait for Mark to finish up the barrel contouring, then back to me for barrel inletting. Scrollcutter came by, but couldn't do much primary layout in the present state of (non) completion. I still haven't received a go or no go on the buttplate configuration...I need feedback! A beauty of a skeleton plate has been offered, but once that's installed the length of pull is cast in concrete. I've suggested a plain checkered butt that could be shortened ( or lengthened with a pad),essentially an unfinished rifle...mayhaps just go with a 13 3/4 LOP with the skeleton plate that's been offered??? gimme feedback! Duane

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lost okie
posted Hide Post
Forrest, Duane;
Haven't talked to you guys since Reno.
I thought I would throw in some update on my end. Hope to have some in in-prgress pics up soon. Blade is forged and ground; 4 1/4 inches of 15n20 and 1084. Drop point hunter with a little belly for the pattern.Fittings are roughed in. Final hand sanding and etching yet to go.
Really mulling over whether to use blued steel now that the stainless/bronze ones are set up. Blue looks great, but is not durable on working knife. You guys have any preference?
A very nice piece of sambar stag has been appropriated from the good stuff stash. The leather is almost done. Needs to be fitted to the final guard shape.
That is where we are at.
Take care;
Mike

Posts: 350 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 01 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike: Really enjoyed our vist in Reno...as far as I'm concerned, just do it your way...

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I hope that this rifle and knife will see several lifetimes of good use in the field. For that reason, I'd say to go with a steel that provides a durable edge. It's certain to be a beautiful knife so I trust you to use whatever materials you think would be best.

For those of you unfamiliar with Mike's work, you should take a look at his website:

http://www.williamscustomknives.com/

We're fortunate to have Mike volunteer his efforts to help us achieve the Memorial Fund's goals. Thanks Mike.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys, I'm back.... Since 1999 I have had a nerve condition called Trigeminal Neuralgia. Now your saying to yourself what the hell is that? The trigeminal nerve is the one that is connected to your teeth, jaw, lips and your face in some way. The pain makes you down right suicidal. There was more than one night I wanted to blow my brains out. Because of the pain, the doctors have you on some powerful drugs. I just didn't like to work under the conditions the drugs brought on. So last month I went under the knife and had a blood vessel removed that was causing the problems. I had the surgery done on April 20 and I'm now back in the shop almost working a full day. If any of you want to know more about the condition inter it into your computers search engine and read all about it.

That was the reason I didn't finish the barreled action and sent it off to Duane for him to do the stock work. I wanted the project to move forward and I could finish the quarter rib when he was finished with the stock work.

Also, just to make it a perfect world, last September my wife of 22 years left me for another man. Her was having a hard time with the gun business. Go figure....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark, my mother suffered thru trigeminal neuralgia and what you said about suicidal pain is exactly correct. Sorry to hear you had to go thru that. And that "other" thing, too. Hope you're doing better now....

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Mark
hope it works out for you.. TMJ is enough to make you mad!

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38379 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,
You are right about TMJ (temporomandibular joint disorder), MS is aggravating also, both of which are NOT what Mark has.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Heres to a speedy and hopefully full recovery beer

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Mark

sorry to hear that. hope everything works out. Positive thoughts!!!

Rich

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, its has been a rough road. Chic was will me when a dentist in Colorado Springs came up wih the problem. The worst part was I had to go down and teach a metalsmithing class at Trinidad State and I was bearly able to talk. I hope I'm over the worst part and the nerve is repairing itself right now. The blood vessel, which was the problem, is now gone.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Hey Mark, It's good to hear from you again. It sounds like things are getting better

Glad to hear it!

Terry

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear medical care worked. Best of luck on a speedy recovery all around. Lee.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2247 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck Mark.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Better days, Mark. Here's to better days ahead.

Best,

Mike

Posts: 13328 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Sheryl Searcy Memorial Scholarship Fund recently made it's second annual scholarship grant to a graduating senior at Pearland High School's Awards Program. Danielle Raney won out over 53 other applicants for the $1,000 grant. In accordance with federal guidelines, the money will be paid directly to her account at the university this fall.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote