One of Us
posted Hide Post
701 is on the way to Texas Smiler

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
ForrestB: I know Burgess has been working on the action.

The reason I still don't have my 09 Peruvian?

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,

if you havent purchased a blank for the donation rifle project yet i would like to help by donating a blank.

regards, Clay

Posts: 205 | Location: Mt . Orab OHIO | Registered: 12 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LUX:
Hi,

if you havent purchased a blank for the donation rifle project yet i would like to help by donating a blank.

regards, Clay

OK, sounds like a good thing to do. I'll email you the address to send it to. When I receive the blank I will post back and tell everyone how generous you were to donate such a nice blank (to me animal HA!)

OK, I'm not in charge of anything on this except taking donations from un-suspecting people Razzer. I think the blank has already been choosen and purchaced, but a good deed should never go un-noticed or not taken advantage of.

Why not donate a rifle blank and we could have a "charity auction" on the classified forum of AR! All proceeds going to scholarship rifle fund. Just an idea.

BTW, Your generosity should be commended.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
A monetary donation would always be nice to, to cover any costs that come up later in the build process.

Thank you for you generous offer.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i would be happy to donate a blank for the scholarship rifle fund. Is someone already taking the lead on this project. let me know what we are building ,Bore size etc and i will pick out a suitable blank.

Clay

Posts: 205 | Location: Mt . Orab OHIO | Registered: 12 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LUX:
i would be happy to donate a blank for the scholarship rifle fund. Is someone already taking the lead on this project. let me know what we are building ,Bore size etc and i will pick out a suitable blank.

Clay

Clay, A blank has already been chosen. There are pictures of the blank on this page. If you scan from the top down you'll see them. The fund still needs cash though. Myself and a lot of others have donated to this with cash and sold items on the classified forum with proceeds going to the fund.. If you would like to donate a blank, That's great! But the one for the rifle has already been purchased and I believe delivered. If you would like to donate a blank we can set up a "auction" for the blank in the classified section with the proceeds from the auction going to the fund.

Your generosity is to be commended. If you were here at the beginning we could have used the blank for the rifle. But keep in mind we could still use the blank and your donation would be much appreciated.

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will provide a rifle blank for the auction. Let me know how you want to proceed. I will photo a rifle blank as soon as i can. Let me know who to send the images to.

regards, clay

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Clay, that's just terrific of you. The project can always use some cash to pay our craftsmen and to pay for the advertising. We've had so many nice blanks offered and it's a shame we can only use one. This is a great way for every one to participate, have some fun, and raise a little money for the cause.

Terry, since you've got things rolling already, will you send a note to Don (DRG) and let him know what we're trying to do. I'm certain he'll help us pull this off. Clay, you might want to put a link to the auction on your website in order to maximize the exposure and maximize the amount of money we raise.

I just keep getting suprised at the many ways people have come up with to help us.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I'm on it.

I think we should try to get Luxus Walnut some exposure for making such a generous donation. You think we could get a mention for them on the The Silver-Lining Scholarship Rifle website?

Terry

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
For sure Terry, everyone who donates money, services or parts will be named on the Scholarship website (unless they ask not to be named). Our commercial benefactors will get links to their website. I think the best exposure will come from the stock blank auction itself. Lexus might consider posting pics of a few blanks (any one of which they would be willing to auction), get some discussion and feedback, then select one that would be auctioned to benefit the scholarship fund.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
the stock blank auction .... Lexus might consider posting pics of a few blanks (any one of which they would be willing to auction), .

ForrestB,

What about asking Lexus to pick out 3-4 (or so) different blanks for the auction. This would give the bidders a choice of color, grain flow, contrast, etc. Then the winning bidder picks the one he likes the best.

Just a thought, might increase interest in bidding.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Lets wait and see what Clay wants to do, it'll be his donation and I don't think we need to put any stipulations on it.

Terry

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Work update:

The engraved bolt handle shipped to Tom Burgess today. Smiler

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scrollcutter:
Work update:

The engraved bolt handle shipped to Tom Burgess today. Smiler

No picture? Shame on you.

On another note, I just got a reply back from Don on the blank auction. He said no problem. When Clay gets back with us, it's a go.

Terry

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Just a thought...

Would a "raffle" be better for the blank? I ask because I probably will not bid on an auction as I'm currently not in the market for another blank, but I would buy some raffle tickets - I have a mythical MRC Professional Action on order that I will build whenever that is built.

I think a lot of guys might buy raffle tickets that might not bid on an auction - similar to what the Judge did someone on here who won't be named.

Just my two cents.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Ask Forrest about running a raffle animal Unless YOU are offering to run it we better stick with the auction format on the blank. Wink

It's all in Clay's hands now. We need to hear back from him before we go any further anyway.

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am donating a couple blanks . The photos should be ready today. Im working with Forrest Bruch . Im not an expert at posting photos etc on AR . So i will provide the blanks and you guys take it from there .

Clay

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I've posted two new threads in the Classified Forum detailing the auctions for each of the stock blanks that Clay Barker and Luxus Walnut have been so generous as to donate. Please take a look and feel free to keep the threads active by bidding with a big heart and an open wallet.

Take a look:
Link to the TM-1 Auction

Link to the TR-35 Auction

A HUGE THANK YOU TO CLAY AND EVERYONE AT LUXUS WALNUT

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
jumping
I'm so happy right now, I just can't stand it!!
jumping

In over 1500 posts on AR, I've never felt the urge to use these bouncing bobble heads before today. Thanks to LUX, bulldog563, KimR, and TC1 we just raised another $1300 for the Scholarship Rifle project.

I just can't imagine the stock blank auction could have gone any smoother or worked out any better for everyone involved.

Clay (LUX), we all owe you a huge debt of gratitude for you your contribution. Your gorgeous blanks raised a terrific sum of money for us and we're extremely grateful.

Maybe now someone else will do some brainstorming and come up with another auction item for us - a new car or truck would be nice!

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
TR-35 is a very interesting stick. Would really like to see how it turns out. Would have bid on it if I wasn't looking for wood for a big bore.

Roughly how much more money is needed to finish the rifle? We must have quite a bit so far.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bulldog,
Forrest is out of town with his family until August 7th. I don't know if he takes a laptop with him on vacation, so we may not hear from him until he gets back in town.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
let me know how much more is needed to finish the rifle.

Regards, Clay

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Clay,

If you mean what I think you mean then Forrest is going to flip when he comes back.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you need more donations i will help. Just let me know . Many thanks to all of you who bid on the blanks.

Clay

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I'm going out of town again if it makes you guys so generous! Clay, you've really helped us along and we truly appreciate your help. To give you an honest answer to your question, we could use a lot more money. Not just to build the rifle, but to advertise it and ship it around for display at various venues. I'd love to see it cased; at least in a custom fitted Americase or even in Marvin Huey case if we had the money (and the time).

It sure seemed that your auction donations were well received. If you want to help us out in that fashion again, it would be terrific. If you want to make a cash donation, we could figure out how to make that work also Smiler Just let us know what you have in mind.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am really itching to see a photo of what has been done so far. bewildered

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
I am really itching to see a photo of what has been done so far. bewildered

ME TOO! My itch is turning into a rash. I've asked Burgess for an update, let's see what he has to say. The last I've heard from him is that he's plugged the holes, polished the action, and sent it out for heat treating - that was in mid-June.

In the overall scheme of things though, we're still on schedule for a fast build. Hopefully we'll have a complete rifle in time for the ACGG show and the Safari Club shows.

Luxus Walnut is going to help us out with another stock blank auction. We'll get a thread up on the Classified forum as soon as I get some photos to host. Clay and the guys at Luxus are really going out of their way to help us out. I'm anxious to see what the new blanks look like.

Stay tuned...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger (Scrollcutter) sent the engraved bolt handle to Tom in mid-July. I hope he took some pictures of it.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Don't forget I'm still sitting on the grip cap here at the house. I can ship it whenever.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Hallelujah Brother! Clay Barker (LUX) of Luxus Walnut, bulldog563 and djpaintless have teamed up to give us another $600 in funding for our rifle project. Luxus donated the stocks and our two generous forum participants purchased them in the auction that just ended. If anyone is shopping for stock blanks, make sure you look at Luxus’ website.

Luxus Walnut

Tiggertate, Jerry Fisher gave us a grip cap that will match his round action bottom metal that we’re using on the rifle. If you want to sell your grip cap in the classified forum and donate the money, it would be greatly appreciated. I need a grip cap for a project, so I know you’ll have at least one bidder! Otherwise you can hang on to your grip cap and start saving money to buy the Scholarship rifle when it’s complete.

I got an email from Tom Burgess. He says the action has been almost completed and is currently out for heat treating. He’s plugged some unwanted holes, did the initial surface grinding and polishing and welded the engraved bolt handle onto a g.33/40 bolt that he found. Tom’s made other improvements and modifications, but I have no idea what they are (even after reading his email). He’s taken some pictures along the way, but I haven’t seen them yet. We’re a little behind the schedule I had hoped for, but I’m not worried yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this rifle going to be auctioned or raffled? It is sounding like it is going to auctioned and not raffled like in the start. If it is auctioned that will leave the little man out and will only be for the rich. I would really like to know one way or the other.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest

From reading your post I am just curious. I know you were the generous guy that donated the G.33/40 action. I am just curious as to why Tom had to use a bolt that he found. Was there something wrong with the bolt you sent, or did you send just a receiver and Tom located a bolt for it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
22WRF, not to be argumentative but what difference does it make? By the time Tom is done fitting the two together they will be better than if they were the original pair. Further, since the handle is obviously going to be replaced, it wouldn't matter which 98 bolt Tom used.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
22WRF, The action had a non-matching bolt that seemed just fine to me considering the alterations Tom would be making. That just wasn't good enough for Tom though; he found a G.33/40 bolt and wanted to use it. From his emails, it's obvious Tom is cutting no corners to make certain every detail is perfect on this action. He has a stash of Czech steel from the same period that has very similar metalurgy to the action. Tom used this to plug holes, etc. He says he's very particular about making sure there will be no trace of the patch after blueing.

I'm now scheming about how to "undonate" this action. Smiler

HerrMesser, our goal is to raise the maximum amount of money possible for the Scholarship Fund. No decision has been finalized with regard to a raffle or an auction. A raffle would be preferable, and more entertaining for sure, but there are all sorts of problems associated with running a multi-state raffle and drawing. It's a decision that will have to be made shortly, as we will need to start the publicity campaign as soon as we have good photos of the metal work.

I'm pretty sure our donors who have so generously advanced the project thus far, have given with the single purpose of raising as much money as possible for the Fund without regard for how the rifle is converted into cash at the end of the build. Is this concern what has been keeping you from making any contribution whatsoever to the effort? I would really like to know one way or the other.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Poleax:
22WRF, not to be argumentative but what difference does it make? By the time Tom is done fitting the two together they will be better than if they were the original pair. Further, since the handle is obviously going to be replaced, it wouldn't matter which 98 bolt Tom used.

Poleax

Wouldn't make any difference. I was just asking Forrest a question, if you don't mind.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Forrest, we need loopholes, offshore corporations, front organizations, and perhaps advice from some Afghan narco-djihadists with the right political clout at the State Department to make sure that I can buy a raffle ticket. Remember, I do have a California Drivers Licence so don't let that Rambouillet address lull you into thinking I won't fight for my rights.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest

That and the fact that I'm on a very limited income thanks to our NAFTA agreement. I'm not even sure that I would even be able to afford even a raffle ticket. If they are not over $100 I might be able to squeeze one in. If you sold 2000 tickets @ $100 each that would generate $200000. But then some people have very deep pockets for a one off rifle.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest:

If you are asking for opinions, and I'm not sure you really are, I would prefer the rifle be raffled. If raffled, I would have a chance (admittedly small) to win that beauty. If it's an auction, no chance. Even though there may be "challenges" with a raffle, I really think that would give EVERYONE a better shot at winning it, and I suspect, would actually generate more cash than an auction.

Given HerrMesser's example, which may not be overstated, I doubt if an auction would bring a $200,000 (or even $100,000) bid. What do you think? I remember when Jack Belk auctioned a 1909 Argentine action (the One Eyed Jack), fully blueprinted, polished, custom bolt handle, Lothar Walther barrel, etc., etc. that went for, what, $2800? Had he raffled that action at $20 a ticket, I'd be willing to bet he could have grossed at least twice that amount. That's only 280 tickets!

Just my opinion. With that and a buck 20, you can still get a large coffee at McDonalds....

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest has stated his preference for a raffle and FWIW I share that position. There are some significant legal obstacles for such a raffle, however, even for a tax-exempt entity.