Find
Notify
Tools

The Silver-Lining Scholarship Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Mike, we have approximately 425 unsold tickets. I hope they all sell before the final draw in Reno, but we're going to have the drawing no matter how many tickets remain.

I found out in Dallas that it is VERY difficult to sell tickets to people who don't have an emotional investment in our project. I think we sold only 6-8 tickets to non-AR folks or folks without a connection to someone involved in the project. We're either going to have to hire scantily clad girls to sell our tickets or buy all the tickets ourselves.

Personally, I like the later idea. It's going to break my heart if this rifle ends up outside the AR family. At this point, I don't really know how to spread our message further. Most folks who understand the purpose behind the rifle raffle, choose to participate. We just need to involve about 50 new AR members and the remaining tickets will be sold.

This thread has been running for 20 months, has over 43,000 page views and 767 posts. AR has 30,000 registered members and at least 2,000 of those members are active. That's a big audience yet we've sold less than 600 tickets to about 75 individuals. Half of those tickets have been sold to less than a dozen folks. Now ya'll understand why no one has ever hired me for my marketing skills.

If everyone out there who bought a ticket would just go through their old PMs and send a note to a few of their AR buddies asking them to help us out we could sell these remaining tickets in a heartbeat.

Almost everyone in attendance at the Bonus Drawing would agree that we had a lot of fun knowing the lucky guys whose names were drawn. I really want that same feeling when we have the final draw. It's not going to be a lot of fun if the rifle goes to someone we'll never hear from again.

I had a few more checks waiting for me when I got home from DSC. I'll post those tomorrow.

Peace.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Mufasa,
You are a prince amoung men

Forrest,
no way we can delay till the March 9th shoot? Might have some impluse buys!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38379 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Haven't tickets only been available for just a month? I say give it some time yet to sell tickets.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Haven't tickets only been available for just a month? I say give it some time yet to sell tickets.

Ditto!

B.Martins

What every gun needs, apart from calibre, is a good shot and hunter behind it. - José Pardal

Posts: 538 | Location: Lisboa,Portugal | Registered: 16 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
based on years of never winning a single thing.

The way I like to look at it, because I know its true, is that you may not have won the thing that you thought you were going to win, but that doesn't mean you didn't win anything.

I can't count the number of times I have purchased tickets or given money to good causes where I didn't directly receive anything from that specific drawing or raffle, but then later out of the clear blue sky something good happened without any explanation whatsoever.

As Forrest has stated over and over again, what everyone who has donated to this project will win, althoug they may never know it or experience it personally, is the ability to contribute to the production of a good teacher who may influence a kid in a certain way such that the kid may find a cure for cancer or heart disease or invent something that helps a great deal of people, or maybe the other way influences a kid to stay away from crime or drugs or excessive alcohol use.

If everyone just thinks back to their own education and how it has helped them, and maybe what one special teacher has done for you that caused you to have more success in your life than you would have otherwise had, YOU HAVE ALREADY WON A PRIZE in this raffle.

Mufasa

Good on ya for donating your prize back. clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
quote:
based on years of never winning a single thing.

The way I like to look at it, because I know its true, is that you may not have won the thing that you thought you were going to win, but that doesn't mean you didn't win anything.

I can't count the number of times I have purchased tickets or given money to good causes where I didn't directly receive anything from that specific drawing or raffle, but then later out of the clear blue sky something good happened without any explanation whatsoever.

As Forrest has stated over and over again, what everyone who has donated to this project will win, althoug they may never know it or experience it personally, is the ability to contribute to the production of a good teacher who may influence a kid in a certain way such that the kid may find a cure for cancer or heart disease or invent something that helps a great deal of people, or maybe the other way influences a kid to stay away from crime or drugs or excessive alcohol use.

If everyone just thinks back to their own education and how it has helped them, and maybe what one special teacher has done for you that caused you to have more success in your life than you would have otherwise had, YOU HAVE ALREADY WON A PRIZE in this raffle.

Mufasa

Good on ya for donating your prize back. clap

22WRF,

Excellent posting!!!!!

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't thank you enough ForrestB, Mufasa, 22 WRF!!

I can honestly say this is the first time I have won ANYTHING!!!!

Mufasa, you are a GENTLEMAN among gentlemen....am proud to say I "know" you.

ForrestB, Thank you for being so patient with all my pm's.

I don't know what else to say....glad it's all for a good cause.

If ticket sales carry on past the end of the month, I will send for 5 more.

Thanks again gang, proud to be apart of it.
LeRoy C. Archer
Edgerton, AB. Canada

ps ...... I am going to take the scope.

Posts: 100 | Location: Edmonton & Wabasca, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Just wonder if we should link this to classified it appears that helped some with the Ottmar. What about other forms? Don't know if everyone reads "gunsmithing"

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
mufasa, you are a good man.

Forrest, I will send you my check tomorrow for another 12 tickets. We at AR need to get behind this.

But for the record, it was all of your Texan bravado and braggadocio that tipped the balance.

I have never met a Texican yet whose head wasn't at least ten gallons too big for his hat, and I have spent a fair bit of time in Texas.

Of course . . . if we count the internet . . . and make allowances for the fact that there's a first time for almost anything . . . I will hastily amend the foregoing remark to except present company. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13328 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
mrlexma, I've got a special Bonus Prize picked out just for you.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Forrest,
If you compose a post with pics and info, I'll feature it in Classifieds ..

There's no competition between these two, rather they compliment each other.

Jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Just making this info easier to find here...

quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
Raffle Ticket Details:

We will sell a maximum of 1000 raffle tickets. The price will be $30 per ticket or you can buy multiples of four tickets for $100 per four tickets.

The GRAND PRIZE will be the Custom Mauser 7X57 Rifle along with the Williams Custom Damascus Knife and a Murray Leather Guncase that is fitted into a Americase Custom Hardcase with a Cordura travel cover. This is all very high quality stuff.

SECOND AND THIRD PRIZES will be Custom Drop Point hunting knives built by Gene Ingram. Gene used wood cut from our rifle blank to make the scales for these knives.

We will have the drawing Sunday morning January 27, 2008 at the ACGG Exhibition in Reno. You don’t have to be there to claim your prize(s).

I really hope like heck that one of our AR members will win the Grand Prize. The only way to assure that of happening is for our group to buy all the tickets before they go on sale to the public at the DSC show on January 9th.

We are printing 1000 numbered raffle tickets for the drawing. You don’t have to attend one of the shows to buy tickets. If you want to buy a ticket, you can send payment along with your contact details to me and I will fill out the stubs for you and then email your ticket numbers to you. If you purchase at least four tickets, I’ll mail your numbered ticket stubs to you. You should make out your checks to the SEARCY MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND. Mail your checks to:

Forrest Bruch
4238 Dartmouth
Houston, TX 77005

Please include a note with your screen name, email address, phone number and other contact information. I give you my word that you will be treated fairly.

Thanks,
Forrest

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
stick in a couple pics, and we are good

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,
Sending a check for 5 tickets in tomorrows mail.

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

$300 on the way to you today for tickets.

This is such a wonderful endeavor to participate in...many thanks to you and all who worked on this rifle, it is a beautiful work of art and function!

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest: If you decide on the scantily clad super models to sell tickets I will be happy to conduct the job interviews. MUFASA

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Mufasa, you've given me an idea for our next fund raiser.

mrlexma and jjs, thanks so much to both of you for the ongoing support. Both of you guys deserve a medal for all you've done from the very beginning. I hope you strike gold in the main drawing.

Since I got home from Dallas, I've received new checks from:

New Mexico ($100 C.Terry)
Texas ($30 B.McCalla)
Texas ($60 Z'meyer & McElrath)
California ($60 K.Flynn)
California ($200 G.Stoodley)
California ($100 Delgado)
Mississippi ($100 Uwave)
New York ($100 Swamprat)

For a total of $750

We Texans are letting some other states feel a little better about themselves for a while. Enjoy your time in the limelight, it won't last long.

Duane has been busy drumming up support for our efforts in California. Thanks Duane, but I don't think our rifle is on the California list so your friends won't be able to claim it anyway.

Not including the newest pledges, we've sold 640 tickets.

With the pledges by mrlexma, JC Scott, jjs, and some Private Message pledges I've received, we should be close to 675 tickets sold.

I'd sure like to get to at least 750 sold before Reno. Keep spreading our message folks.

Let me know if any of you are planning to attend the Houston Safari Club Show and would like to see the rifle there. I've had some problems dropped in my lap and will be busy this weekend, but I'll make a trip out to the Woodlands to show off the rifle if we can come up with a convenient time for everyone.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All right, mufasa and Forrest. You talked me into it. I will be happy to model in my speedo at the booth if it will help sell a few tickets.

How about this, for every 10 tickets purchased, I will put on one article of clothing......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ForrestB,
$100 on the way..
JIM........

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~O^O

Posts: 512 | Location: Palmetto State | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven’t posted in a while, so I thought I would check back in. This unbelievable rifle is finished, and I can’t wait to see it! I owe thanks to so many people who contributed selflessly to this effort. I would not attempt to name all of you, but you know who you are. You have done a good thing, and it will positively impact untold lives in the years to come. May God bless you for it. My family and I salute you all!

ForrestB – you are my hero and a true friend. Many people played a part, but without you this never would have happened. Your compassion, focus, tenacity, and unfailing enthusiasm conceived this project and steered it around every obstacle. Because of your friendship countless people now know about Sheryl's work and the scholarship fund. I am forever in your debt.

I have been asked to elaborate on the Scholarship Fund’s plans for the project proceeds, but first a little background. Sheryl passed in April 2006. We (myself, daughter, son-in-law, and sister) very hurriedly made arrangements to present a token ($500) scholarship grant in her name at her school’s Awards Ceremony barely a month later. We then explored the idea of creating a standalone, tax-exempt entity to administer future scholarships and found it to be a complicated and daunting process. Upon ForrestB’s recommendation, we met with the folks at Greater Houston Community Foundation and decided to place our fund beneath GHCF’s tax-exempt “umbrellaâ€, as a Donor-directed Fund with a Level 1 Scholarship Program. In return for a very small fee, GHCF invests our money, keeps records, makes the necessary IRS filings, advises us, and administers the disbursement of scholarship grants, all in compliance with IRS rules, to maintain our tax-exempt status. While this service is very helpful (we all have jobs) and cost efficient, it also limits our flexibility to “wheel and dealâ€. The details of the scholarship and requirements must be submitted to GHCF months in advance. Once we advise GHCF of the winner’s name and the amount of an award, all contact and disbursement is carried out by GHCF on behalf of the SSMSF.

Although we hoped that the rifle would be completed in time to fund a scholarship in May 2007, that did not happen. So, the SSMSF announced the award of a $1,000 scholarship to a very deserving young lady at the school’s 2007 Awards Ceremony.

We intend to keep this fund “going†for a very long time. Our goal has always been to help as many young people as we can to become competent, caring teachers. Fundraising is a never-ending “chore†for a charitable entity like ours, as we have no wealthy benefactors (yet) or endowments. If a large, “windfall†contribution were to come our way, our normal tendency would be to “salt it away†so it could hopefully become the “seeds†of a fully endowed fund someday and help aspiring teachers for years to come. This project, however, is not a “normal†event.

Dozens and dozens of AR members from all over this country (and several others) came together around an idea; to accomplish something meaningful and memorable in order to put a “silver lining†in what was a very “dark cloudâ€. Using something we all love, fine firearms, Forrest proposed that to honor Sheryl’s memory we “build a teacher by building a rifleâ€, and, by golly, you got it done! It truly is a “one of a kind†firearm created in memory of a “one of a kind†teacher. And, because you “built the rifleâ€, you deserve the gratification and satisfaction of pointing to someone a few years from now and saying, “We built that teacherâ€.

In deciding how to use this money, we have tried to balance the expectations of the people involved in this project (who raised the money) with the long-term goals of our fund. We think it is a fair solution and hope you agree. The SSMSF plans in 2008 to award a four year scholarship with an expected value of between $4,000 and $5,000 per year for a total value of $16-20,000 (dependent upon raffle ticket sales). Additionally, we will make the first two scholarship winners (2006 and 2007) eligible to “renew†their awards for each of the remaining years of their college career (maximum of four years). Any money remaining would remain in the fund’s account to be used for future scholarships.

The scholarship money will not be paid out “lump sumâ€. Payments can only be made by GHCF directly to the student’s account at the university, as expenses are incurred, up to the total value of the award. The recipient must also maintain the academic performance and course of study requirements in order to continue to qualify for the award. The only way money can “leave†SSMSF’s account at the foundation is to be paid to the (properly selected) scholarship winner’s account or as a grant to another nonprofit entity. If we were to close down the fund, any monies remaining have to be given either to a qualified non-profit entity we nominate or be transferred into GHCF’s general fund.

Well, that’s possibly more than you ever wanted to know about the matter and for sure more than you wanted to read in one post. I hope it has been informative. I really did try to be brief!

The final details for the 2008 scholarship(s) must be submitted to GHCF by February 1st,, though the actual dollar amount can be advised later. Completed applications are due Feb. 29th. I will keep everyone informed as to the status of the selection process as we move towards the Awards Ceremony in May. I am certain there will be a record number of applicants for this year’s scholarship.

I’ve included a link below to the Greater Houston Community Foundation website.

Glen Searcy

http://www.ghcf.org/

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
One thing I truly was bothered by at my former SCI chapter banquets was the female models selling raffle tickets. I did not want a female selling ME a ticket for anything. THAT was weird. YUCK!

So at one of the chapter banquets a couple of the all male BOD's came past my table while the 'girls' were selling raffle tickets. I stopped them all and asked loudly, "WHY ARE THERE NO MALE MODELS SELLING TICKETS TO US LADIES?"

Picture one of those moments of silence and then cricket sounds.

Many of the people seated at my table and the surrounding tables were elderly or rather distinguished couples and they did not know me. A lot of staring and breath holding was occuring.

The BOD members stood there silent, jaws hanging. hillbilly

Suddenly there was applause, lots of it, all of the ladies seated with their spouses got up and cheered. You should have seen the grandma types...hoo wahhh!

What a fine moment that was! Smiler THE BOD men scurried away all red faced.

Some time later some scantily clad male BOD members came around the tables selling raffle tickets. The ladies ate it up!

clap

Forrest sweetie, my advice to you, wear a Speedo to sell more tickets. archer

Luv ya babe....

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Folks,

Sorry for being so late to respond to winning the drawing in Dallas. I've been busy the past few days, and frankly, I feel a bit awkward about winning anything in the face of all the hard work and thoughtfulness of everyone involved in this project.

I have a nice Mauser action I bought from Jim Kobe a couple of years ago, so I think it's kind of fitting I send it back to him to get a rifle started. Thank you, Jim, for your donation and I look forward to talking to you.

In the meantime, Forrest, thanks again for your work on this project and I imagine I'm good for a few more tickets when I see you in Reno.

Posts: 1045 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Glen:

Thanks for the explanation of how the scholarship was set up. I am proud to be able to support this worthy cause it the small way that I have been able.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glen,

Thanks for the run down on the scholarship program. I wasn't aware of any of what you wrote.

Kudos on getting the program started, and to Forrest for making the rifle happen, along with his tenacity in administering the effort. My hat is off to both of you.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:

Forgive me for relating a story which illustrates the point made by 22WRF (and ForrestB).

My father suffers from some acute health issues which, unfortunately, require all too frequent trips to the hospital. On a recent visit to the local emergency room, he was treated by a female respiratory therapist. Noticing his last name, she asked my Mom and sister if they were perhaps related to Sheryl Searcy. She explained that Mrs. Searcy had been one of her high school teachers. She was unaware that Sheryl had passed, and although out of school for some years, she became very distraught at the news.

Tearfully, she related that she had “tried†to quit high school in her junior year. Sheryl, when she became aware that the young lady had “dropped outâ€, started calling her at home, multiple times a day, determined to convince her to not give up on her future. After several days of phone calls, she came back to school, graduated, and today has a promising career in the medical field, instead of a dropout and a drain on society. The poignant thing, and the reason for her tears, was that she had never gotten back in touch with Sheryl to tell her how well things had turned out for her. Bottom line: the smallest gesture can make a huge difference, and you may never know it. Teachers truly do “change the worldâ€... and so will all of you.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I posted a synopsis in classifieds...

thanks Kevin

#dumptrump

476AR,

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Yep -- Classifieds

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check on the way for 4 tickets - Thanks Forrest

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest

Im staying in Salt Lake tonight, on my way to Reno. Im interested in buying some tickets. Forgive me but I don't have time at the moment to look over the previous pages for all the details. Where can I find you in Reno to pay for the tickets?

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
We're going to display the rifle on Duane Wiebe's table at the ACGG show at the Silver Legacy Hotel in Reno. There are shuttles from SCI to the Silver Legacy and everyone who like fine firearms should make the trip.

Some of the powers that be in the ACGG are taking issue with our intention of selling tickets at the show. The ACGG has their own raffle ticket sale going on at the same time and some think our fundraising efforts would be in competition with their ticket sales. I try never to argue with folks over the age of 80, so I'll just nod politely while they prattle.

I'll be at the ACGG exhibition and if any of you have an interest in purchasing tickets, I'll make sure you are taken care of. I'm also going to try to attend the AR function at the Giraffe Bar at SCI on Friday at 3pm and I'll have tickets with me then. If I'm not at the ACGG show when you need me, just ask Duane for my cell number and give me a call.

Since the ACGG doesn't believe in our project, I'd also like to have another time and venue for our drawing. Right now, I think we should do something Saturday Evening and I'm open for suggestions as to venue. The more folks who attend the drawing, the more fun it will be.

Anyone who is not going to be in Reno should mail a check to me on Tuesday and send me an email or PM letting me know to expect their payment. I'll make sure your tickets are in the bucket at the time of the draw (whether your check arrives here in time or not).

This has been a great project for a worthy cause, let's give it a strong finish!

posted Hide Post
On behalf of the ACGG and also the Firearms Engravers Guild of America (FEGA), I'd like to provide some clarification and correction of misinformation.

The exhibition in Reno is the joint effort of the two associations with the purpose of serving their memberships. Rules and decisions are made jointly by the boards of the two groups - and in compliance with federal, state and even city of Reno laws.

No one in decision-making positions has said they don't believe in the Silver Lining project. In fact, had they been asked, who knows what support might have been provided in appropriate ways such as information in their newsletters or whatever? They must, however, consider the interests of ALL of the members, and their respective guilds.

The Guilds will welcome the gun on Duane Wiebe's display, however, for many reasons no raffle tickets may be sold within the space used by the Exhibition nor the drawing held there.

Outside activities are against the exhibition rules. Non-related activities would not only create confusion/distractions but put the two associations at liability. Appropriate business licenses must be purchased, sales tax collected (yes, even on raffle tickets), state laws followed (yes, there's a limit on how many raffles you can do in certain states), exhibitor regulations must be followed, and activities must be in monitored to be within the guidelines of the nonprofit purposes of the two groups (or they jeopardize that tax status).

The bottom line - there's a lot more to it than just deciding you're going to do something at someone else's function.

Jan Billeb
Executive Director
American Custom Gunmakers Guild
22 Vista View Ln
Cody, WY 82414
(307) 587-4297 (phone/fax)
acgg@acgg.org

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well since I don't have anything good to say concerning the ACGG position I'll keep my thoughts to myself. But I'm not sorry I didn't buy a ACGG Raffle ticket this year.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Well since I don't have anything good to say concerning the ACGG position I'll keep my thoughts to myself. But I'm not sorry I didn't buy a ACGG Raffle ticket this year.

+1 .... i deserve a MEDAL i tell you, for deleting my first 50 responses to this.

Of course, this thread is "someone else's" function, isn't then?

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Jan, thanks for joining our discussion. In the overarching spirit of our project, every cloud has a silver lining and this incident is no exception. Your single post on this thread has individually sold more tickets for our project than any one of the 800 other posts. I’m not sure you’re doing the Guild any favors but you’ve sure helped our cause.

I just got a call from one of our early donors and he is going to purchase 150 tickets and another AR member has committed to purchase an additional 50 tickets. I’ve asked these members to wait until Thursday to make their purchases so as to allow other participants the opportunity to make their planned purchases. By the way everyone, it will come as no surprise but these two guys are TEXANS.

Let me know as soon as possible if you wish to purchase tickets.
DO NOT ASSUME THERE WILL BE TICKETS AVAILABLE IN RENO.

Many thanks to all our participants,

Forrest

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

Jan is charged with the duty of getting the show together every year. She does not do it single-handed, but she knows more about what goes into it than anyone else you can talk to. One of the tasks she performs is getting all the exhibitors to stay within the regulations and laws of the city of Reno and the state of Nevada. The exhibitors are required to fill out tax forms and turn them in at the completion of the show. No outside sales are allowed.

I know what is involved just trying to get a gambling license from the state of Washington to cover our Friends Of The NRA auction and raffles. I can't imagine it being less of an ordeal to get the ACGG / FEGA show covered. You can bet if it involves $$, somebody is checking.

If you really wish to thank Jan for your increased ticket sales, please do so in a respectful manner. Certainly you cannot think this is something she dreamed up just to create ill will between the project members / ticket purchasers, and the Guilds?

It seems I've always heard Texans have been proud of how they treat their women...might be time to get back to some traditional basics. This amazing project, with all its contributors, has been a joy to watch to fruition. It would be a shame to cast any shadow on it now.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Jim, I’m sorry that you read any disrespect into my post – it wasn’t intended. I’m happy that Jan gave us the Guild’s stance on the situation. The fact that it prompted a large donation is icing on the cake. Between her post and yours, I’m certain that everyone here is in full understanding of the Guild’s position. Compared to some of our other set-backs, this one is minor.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slightly off the current topic; but if any of you guys going to Reno who have followed this project get a chance to come by and see me at the American Bladesmith Exposition in the Silver Legacy. Silver Baron Showroom just upstairs from the gun room; friday and sat.
I would be glad to meet everyone. Plus you will get to see some of the finest custom knives in the world.
Leaving this afternoon; safe trip everyone.
M

Posts: 79 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 28 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're missing a bet if you don't visit Knives and knifemaking "damascus hunter" by Mike Williams

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Ladies and Gents,
We've sold quite a few tickets in the last few days. Here's a list:

Customstox (CA) 5 tickets
Snake803 (SC) 4 tickets
James C Scott (MO) 4 Tickets
Rem.XP100 (NY) 4 Tickets
JJS (TN) 12 tickets
M1Tanker (Iraq by way of ID, CO, TX, AZ) 4 more tickets
MJines (TX) 4 Tickets
mrlexma (MA) 12 more tickets
tiggertate (TX) 4 tickets
Bulldog563 (CA) 4 more tickets
Recoil Rob (NY) 4 more tickets
Boom Stick (CA) 2 tickets

This puts our total count of tickets sold at 703.

Tomorrow we will sell 150 tickets to a very generous donor from North Texas and sell 50 tickets to a somewhat generous donor from South Texas.

With these two transactions we will have only 96 tickets remaining. If you want in the drawing, please let me know ASAP. I'd really like to have all these tickets sold before I head to Reno. If that happens, we can hold the drawing at the Giraffe bar at 3pm on Friday. Now that would be fun.

Thanks everyone and thanks especially to all of you who have come back again with even larger ticket purchases.

It looks like we're actually going to get this done!

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Reading this thread and the joy of participating is worth the 2 tickets I could afford...

If y'all wouldnt mind withdrawing yer tickets from the raffle it would increase my joy even more Big Grin

Come on...its for a good cause Wink

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote