The Silver-Lining Scholarship Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Hi Forrest, money for 4 went out today.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! I haven't been paying attention to the thread for the last 2-3 weeks and....Bam! the rifle is done and the raffle is on. I absolutely KNOW that we will sell all thousand tickets. My check for 4 is in the mail TOMORROW!

I cannot begin to express how proud I am of everyone who has been involved in this undertaking. Forrest....[Mike just shaking his head]. I've got to meet you someday.

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
Money for two sent to day and sent the link to a few of my friends.All the best once again.

Best-
Locksley,R

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 782 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fireball168:
What's the chance of some larger, high res pictures....the current one makes a decent wallpaper on my computer, but a bigger one would be great!

Loud-n-boomer is putting together a CD that will have several high resolution photos of the finished rifle and knife as well as many of the work-in-progress photos. Hopefully, the CDs will be finished before DSC, but in any case they will be available shortly.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

I found your post with the info on buying tickets, so no need PM'ing me with the info.
Thanks for the heads up.
That Rifle and Knife are MAGNIFICENT!!!!
And, Kudos to you for doing the leg work to make the raffle happen. Not an easy job by any means.

Also, 22WRF, kudos to you for the scope donation. I know where to buy my next Filson shirt... Big Grin I wore the one that I bought from you every day Deer hunting this year!!!!!!! Big Grin

Don

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by archdlx:
ForrestB......

Good Luck to the rest of you on the AR draw...'cause I'M gonna win the rifle!! Big Grin jumping clap

LeRoy

Not if I buy all 1000 tickets... jumping

Don

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
Raffle Ticket Details:

We will sell a maximum of 1000 raffle tickets. The price will be $30 per ticket or you can buy multiples of four tickets for $100 per four tickets.

The GRAND PRIZE will be the Custom Mauser 7X57 Rifle along with the Williams Custom Damascus Knife and a Murray Leather Guncase that is fitted into a Americase Custom Hardcase with a Cordura travel cover. This is all very high quality stuff.

SECOND AND THIRD PRIZES will be Custom Drop Point hunting knives built by Gene Ingram. Gene used wood cut from our rifle blank to make the scales for these knives.

We will have the drawing Sunday morning January 27, 2008 at the ACGG Exhibition in Reno. You don’t have to be there to claim your prize(s).

I really hope like heck that one of our AR members will win the Grand Prize. The only way to assure that of happening is for our group to buy all the tickets before they go on sale to the public at the DSC show on January 9th.

We are printing 1000 numbered raffle tickets for the drawing. You don’t have to attend one of the shows to buy tickets. If you want to buy a ticket, you can send payment along with your contact details to me and I will fill out the stubs for you and then email your ticket numbers to you. If you purchase at least four tickets, I’ll mail your numbered ticket stubs to you. You should make out your checks to the SEARCY MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND. Mail your checks to:

Forrest Bruch
4238 Dartmouth
Houston, TX 77005

Please include a note with your screen name, email address, phone number and other contact information. I give you my word that you will be treated fairly.

We’re going to have a BONUS DRAWING for our AR members who purchase tickets. At Judge G’s Saturday evening party at the Comfort Inn, we’ll draw stubs from our AR forum members who purchased tickets and give away some bonus prizes. One prize will be another Ingram Custom Knife exactly like the ones that will be awarded in the main drawing. Other prizes will be subject to whatever items we can get donated in the meantime. If you have something you would like to donate, please post it here or send me a PM with the details. I’d like to sweeten the pot to induce AR members to buy as many of the tickets as possible, as early as possible. IF I DON’T RECEIVE YOUR PAYMENT BEFORE I LEAVE FOR THE DSC SHOW ON JANUARY 10TH, THEN YOUR STUBS WON’T BE INCLUDED IN THE BONUS DRAWINGS. You can always buy your tickets in Dallas if you will be at the show, dinner or AR party and we’ll include the stubs in the drawings. IF YOU BUY TICKETS IN DALLAS, PLEASE TELL US YOU ARE AN AR MEMBER AND PROVIDE YOUR SCREEN NAME BECAUSE WE WON’T BE ASKING.

Like the rest of you, I’m paying off Christmas bills. I just made a quarterly tax payment to Uncle Sam and I mailed my property tax payments today. I’m broke. That won’t stop me from buying the first 12 raffle tickets. This is for a great cause, and I hope we get some favorable press about our efforts but even if we don’t, all or you should be proud of what we are accomplishing. My hat is off to all the AR guys who helped out and especially to all the Craftsmen who worked on our project.

Let me know what I’ve left out and let me know if you have an item you would like to include in our bonus drawing for our AR participants.

Thanks,
Forrest

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

The check has been mailed.

Any luck finding a booth to display the gun at the DSC?

Doug

Posts: 280 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

My check for 4 tickets went out today.

Jim

Posts: 1306 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Forrest, check went in the mail today for 4 tickets.

KevinH

Posts: 39 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the early support. You’ve earned a special treat…

Here are three snippets from Gary Bolster’s high resolution photos of our rifle. It’s not fair to most gunmakers to enlarge photos to this size – our craftsmen have nothing to fear from the magnifying glass.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I take that back. Duane must have been drunk when he did this inletting. I want my money back!

At least Roger's work is perfect.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That bolt handle is magnificent!!!! clap The rest of the engraving as well. Very appropriate to the remembrance of Sheryl Searcy. Whoever wins this beautiful rifle should give it to the wife to hunt with.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
22WRF, I have a plan. My wife is getting the Ottmar rifle. This one's for me, notwithstanding the poor inletting. I am sure that I will get over it. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13378 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm in and funds sent... Big Grin

Dave

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I'm in.. check goes out Friday.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just checked back in after several months. what a great idea. count me in for a ticket

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DPhillips:

Dave

Don't get your hopes up this time, Lucky Boy.

The Texas boys have put their money where their mouths are - and quickly too. I got six envelopes (all from Texans) at my house today with a total of $930 in contributions. Now if we could only do that well in the other 49 States...

The International contingent is in second place with $460 in contributions from four participants. StuC has them all fired up. Thanks Stuart.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
I take that back. Duane must have been drunk when he did this inletting. I want my money back!

At least Roger's work is perfect.

Since Forrest has decided to open the nitpicking to the world, shouldn't that action screw slot be in line with the stock and not all skewed like that? Forrest, if you've got some kind of Leatherman multi-tool in your glove box you might want to tighten that up when you get the rifle.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
I can only afford one ticket at the moment, but a check will be mailed today

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Most knowledgeable gunmakers will inlet to allow for a bit of shrinkage of the wood. If you will notice both of the action screws are slightly to the left of lining up. This rifle will spend most of it's life with indexed screws.

Forrest- check's in the mail for 4.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Count me in for four tickets!! Will send it out today. I've never won anything in my life but it is for a great cause.
Absolutely beautiful rifle. What else can be said?
mike

Posts: 79 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 28 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Duane must have been drunk when he did this inletting.

Now I know my problem. So if I get drunk first I'll be able to inlet like that???? Wink

Forrest, Check was Mailed on the 2nd.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Dave

The Texas boys have put their money where their mouths are - and quickly too. I got six envelopes (all from Texans) at my house today with a total of $930 in contributions. Now if we could only do that well in the other 49 States...

The International contingent is in second place with $460 in contributions from four participants. StuC has them all fired up. Thanks Stuart.

Alaskans do need to step up to the plate, hopefully mine small contribution will help a bit. We shouldn't let such a small, tiny, little state like Texas lead the pack. After all, it isn't even half the size of Alaska... Eeker

As far as hopes go, well, it only takes one... Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Dave

Alaskans do need to step up to the plate, hopefully mine small contribution will help a bit. We shouldn't let such a small, tiny, little state like Texas lead the pack. After all, it isn't even half the size of Alaska... Eeker

As far as hopes go, well, it only takes one... Big Grin

Oh man! The only thing worse he can say is that the Alamo was only a fictitious story sofa

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check sent.Crossing my fingers. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Dave

Make that 7 Texans......and I will take 12 tickets please. I will give you the money at lunch.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MHC_TX:
I will take 12 tickets please. I will give you the money at lunch.

Looks like I will be buying lunch...

The pony express delivered 7 envelopes today.

One from Michigan for $100
One from Arizona for $30
One from Washington for $100 (even Duane is buying tickets!)
One from our good friend in Mass. for $300
One from Wisconsin for $30
and Two more from Texas for a total of $400

I also got 22WRF's Zeiss scope that he is donating for the Bonus Raffle. You've really gone above and beyond for us Kevin.

One other package arrived today via FedEx - our rifle and knife. Both are even better than the photos. I'm going to take them to Rusty's gathering at Bayou Rifles on Sunday morning. If any of you have an itch to see the rifle and knife, make plans to join us starting at 9:30 AM. The raffle tickets won't be delivered until Monday, but I'll be more than happy to accept your checks and contact info then have my daughter fill out your raffle ticket stubs on your behalf next week.

I'm tempted to bring out some 7X57 ammo and sell shots for $10 each. Big Grin I guess I'd better sleep on that idea.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Forrest:

A check for four tickets and the PowerPoint presentation showing the building process for the rifle should be in the overnight to you on Monday. I hope to have a CD put together with discussions and high resolution photos on the process of making and engraving the rifle by the middle or the end of next week for the Silver Lining Scholarship to sell to raise additional funds.

Dave

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3811 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Dave,
That rifle would be perfect for caribou! Wink

Of course, if you bring it, it has to stay in Alaska...

posted Hide Post
100$ on the way Forest (on behalf of Glen and Sheryl's daughter, Julie)

I'm not sure if I'll make it to the drawing, but please know that this effort has meant the world to Julie. She is so happy that we will be able to help so many aspiring teachers.

Duane, Roger, Mark, Forest and all who donated time, money and parts, you have our thanks.

Eric Anderson (Shery's son-in-law)

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Eric, you and Julie should make plans to come to the Houston Safari Club show held in the Woodlands (Jan 17-19). We'll have the rifle there as well. I'm sure there are a lot of folks here who would love to meet you two and hear about the Scholarhip Fund.

Well, it must have warmed up a little because it looks like a few of our yankee friends were able to make it out to the mail box. I received 17 checks in the mail today...

Three from Minnesota totaling $400 (plus a certificate from Jim Kobe who is donating a barrel fitting and chambering job for our Bonus Drawing)
Two from Missouri totaling $200
One from New York for $100
One from Indiana for $100
One from West Virginia for $100
One from Montana for $100
One from Alaska for $100 (This one was from Michael Petrov, and I take his purchase as a real vote of confidence in the quality of our rifle. Thanks Michael)
One from Mississippi for $100
One from Virginia for $100
One from Ohio for $100
One from South Dakota with $100 CASH - this will come in handy for me.
One from Michigan for $100
One from France for $100

I only received one check in the mail today from Texas, but it was for $200. This still keeps the Texans firmly in the lead for total donations. To cap things off, I picked up a $1000 donation today from another Texan - our good friend and giant of a man, mufasa. The Texas lead is not insurmountable, but some of the other states need to step it up a bit. Smiler

Today's total is $2,900 - about three times the daily total for the last couple of days. I'm praying for 7 days straight just like today.

The Postal Service seems to be getting mail here quickly. It's not too late to get your checks in before the DSC bonus drawings. We could also use some other prize items for the bonus drawing. This is the perfect opportunity for you to get rid of those Christmas gifts that you didn't really want, or to clean out your reloading room of all those items you've had on the shelf for too long.

Thanks guys and girls. Cross your fingers that our raffle tickets arrive on time Monday...

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I guess it's time for one more close-up. This one shows Mark Stratton's scope mounts and Tom Burgess' bolt handle and his treatment of Ed LaPour's safety. Everything about it is just so nice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

Just sent you a PM!!

Phil

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

Make sure you be sprinklin' some Holy water on them tickets you be sendin' me.. I need Devine help winnin' the rifle.... Big Grin

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't BELIEVE that my check is the only one coming from Tennessee. Should be in your hands tomorrow, Forrest. I mailed it Thursday.

Now, come on, Tennessee. We're VOLUNTEERS!

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
My check for 2 tickets might be the smallest one coming. But mine will be pushing for coming from the most unique place and greatest distance from home. Mine is being sent from a war zone 8000 miles from home. It will be going out in tomorrows mail. I just hope the Army's mail system gets it there in time!!!!

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1Tanker:
My check for 2 tickets might be the smallest one coming. But mine will be pushing for coming from the most unique place and greatest distance from home. Mine is being sent from a war zone 8000 miles from home. It will be going out in tomorrows mail. I just hope the Army's mail system gets it there in time!!!!

If it doesn't you can have two of mine.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElCaballero:
quote:
Originally posted by M1Tanker:

If it doesn't you can have two of mine.

Bill's gonna have plenty of tickets; don't you worry about that.

If any of you want to join me in sponsoring tickets for active duty soldiers, just let me know.

Forrest

one of us
posted Hide Post
ForrestB....

I hope that I am not the only Canadian w/tickets!!
If so, I challenge all Canucks to ante up for at least what I got, 4 tickets.

Thanks,
LeRoy.

Posts: 100 | Location: Edmonton & Wabasca, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote