THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Gunsmith Recommendation for .257 AI chamber modification

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunsmith Recommendation for .257 AI chamber modification
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Was wondering if someone could recommend a good rifle gunsmith I could send a Kimber Montana off to for a 257 Roberts to Ackley Improved conversion? Would prefer someone who isn't backed up 18 months and can get a small job like this turned around in a timely manner...

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent

Posts: 669 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recommending Restaurants, Doctors and Gunsmiths is a good way to lose friends

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jumping Duane!

PUnching out a chamber from 257 to Ackley IMP is pretty simple for any qualified gunsmith, you should have one locally with a good reputation Id think.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have to set barrel back one turn (if it has any markings or sights that you want at the correct o clock.

257 Roberts can be loaded much hotter than the factory ammo, without any surgery.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2926 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

You'd be wrong about that. We have a smith here in town with decades of experience but after two disastrous experiences I've learned my lesson. He botched grinding a recoil pad--looked like a kid did it. And drilled and tapped a receiver for a williams peep sight so low to the top of the receiver the sight had no adjustment range. He told me we had to change the front sight to adjust vertical impact...LOL

I've had folks like Mark Penrod build rifles for me in the past and his work is exquisite. But he's backed up a couple years...

I found a smith willing to take it on and sent it off in the mail last week. As mentioned its not simply a matter of reaming out the chamber...the Ackley Improved has a slightly shorter shoulder and the barrel has to be set back a turn to headspace properly. And there may be some feeding adjustments needed. Maybe not...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KY Nimrod:
Ray,

You'd be wrong about that. We have a smith here in town with decades of experience but after two disastrous experiences I've learned my lesson. He botched grinding a recoil pad--looked like a kid did it. And drilled and tapped a receiver for a williams peep sight so low to the top of the receiver the sight had no adjustment range. He told me we had to change the front sight to adjust vertical impact...LOL

I've had folks like Mark Penrod build rifles for me in the past and his work is exquisite. But he's backed up a couple years...

I found a smith willing to take it on and sent it off in the mail last week. As mentioned its not simply a matter of reaming out the chamber...the Ackley Improved has a slightly shorter shoulder and the barrel has to be set back a turn to headspace properly. And there may be some feeding adjustments needed. Maybe not...

Absolutely right! AS I see it, the good, all around gunsmiths ae getting to be a rare breed. The pros that abide by the rules simply get passed up by those in search of "Cheap and quick"

Perfect slot for or backyard bubbas to jump in...with fairly predicable results

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to give a shout out to Jim Kobe for taking me on as a client and completing this project in record time...just over 2 weeks door to door from Kentucky to Minnesota. Jim did a great job...gun functions perfectly...and he was a pleasure to deal with.

I had to laugh a little today as I was out at the farm fireforming a bunch of .257 Roberts brass into Ackley Improved... Had no problem banging the 10" steel plates I have set up at 200 and 300 yards with my Roberts handloads and 75 grain V-max bullets...was almost amazed at how tightly the bullets grouped on the steel at 200 yards during the fireform operation...hey if you are going to burn the powder and bullets might as well have fun right? Damn...I can't wait to get this gun back into action with some Ackley Improved handloads....its a damn good looking case!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
There is no such thing as a good "local" gunsmith; you always have to send them off.
As for the 257 AI, it is not needed; I have a Ruger 77 with a long throat; I can seat bullets out so they are only held in .1 inch, and I use 25-06 data.
I get velocities that you wouldn't believe, exceeding the AI. And good brass life too. Long throat. Long action required.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
KY Nimrod

You will be very pleased with your 257 Ackley Improved. I have chambered several and hunted extensively with mine, all with very good results. I've had extreme accuracy with Nosler 100 grain projectiles, both Ballistic tip and Partition. Both shooting same point of impact. Seating bullets out to near maximum length in a 30-06 length magazine.

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is no such thing as a good "local" gunsmith; you always have to send them off.

I have use a good local smith in NW Wis. only 40 miles away. No need to send it any place.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Does he have 150 reamers and can do every facet of real gunsmithing including bluing and checkering? I have never lived anywhere that had all that, which is why I do all that myself.
By Gunsmith, I don't mean parts replacer, which is what most of them are.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep had him re-barrel three rifles for me.

He has a good reputation.

Your local for somebody Tom.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Just my friends and they don't count; no one here ever wants anything custom or interesting; all they want is their shotgun fixed, at which point I tell them I don't have time and just buy a new one.
Nothing but uncultured cretins here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My local gunsmith is Jim Kobe, who am I supposed to send it off to?

Posts: 422 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Then you are one of the .002 percent that is so lucky.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Im not wrong, but perhaps no clear, We we have some damn good gunsmiths in Idaho and Montana, that can do that work, its a matter of knowing whos who...

All my work is done by Jack Belk or Dennis Olson as a rule..I have had a number of Ackleys done locally without a problem, Today I have a 8mm/06 Ackley on a Brno mod 21 that Im fond of, but Ackley are a pain IMO..I like the 257 Robts as is and the 8mm-06 was my favorite of the two..

If you have sent your rifle to a bad smith, you didn't do your homework, lots of bad smiths out there so be careful..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote