New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opening up a Mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a couple of Mausers opened up the usual way with the front ramp below the lower locking lug abutment ground away. However, for those 'smiths that have modified the bolt stop to accommodate a longer cartridge, would you happen to have a photo of one? Wondering how much you can take off and it still function. In other words, photos of a Mauser opened up from the rear of the action.
Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, that is the way I do it and that does reduce the amount you need to remove from the lower locking lug seat a lot. I often make a new magazine box rear panel, and mill the bolt stop back. How much? There is a little flat place on the bolt stop; you can easily remove all of that. The thickness of the mag box rear panel at least. Doesn't sound like much, but you are adding that much to your lower locking lug seat/feed ramp where it counts. I have no photos as I don't have any of those in here right now.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1 mm or .040" of an inch is the most I remove from the bolt stop to increase the rear travel.

Be advised to really check the bolt stop over well for battering, many of them are somewhat soft and those you should not rework.

J Wisner

Posts: 1421 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Don't know if this helps but images of the action rear on my opened up Mauser for the 404 cartridge.
Note the second photo shows the gap at the front of the magazine follower with it hard back in the magazine box where it naturally sits, and all that gap didn't come off the feed ramp.

Posts: 3847 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote