RECOIL PAD..BEST AND WHY?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted
For a 12ga 3.5" Coach Gun...Wood Stocked
Kick Ezz...Limbsaver or?? Why? hilbily

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Pachmyr decelerator. Why? Performance, cost, and availability. Some of the others are way too soft and squishy, to use the technical term.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll echo what Dpcd said, Pachmayr Decelerator.

Most importantly the decelerator grinds well for a nice fit. It is softer than a Silvers, so it actually does something for recoil absorption. Add to that the Old English version looks really nice on just about anything.

Silvers look traditional but are really hard.

The Kick EEZ are really soft. They probably provide just a bit better recoil absorption than a Pachmayr, but are not as nice aesthetically. May be what you need for a short barrel 3.5" mag Coach gun!

Posts: 239 | Location: Southeast USA | Registered: 01 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Going with the Pach...then I'm ready for.....Pachaderms! dancing
Thanks guys..besides aesthetics are important to me!
Thanks Gents! thumbdown

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might want to also add a PAST recoil shield under the shirt with those 3 1/2's.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...002531259?pid=699899

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't see anything helping much with a 3 1/2 inch coach gun. Turkey loads? Have fun!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 826 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Actually guys 900 grain Slugs and Dixie Tri-Balls! (3-315gr .600 caliber at 1150fps) dancing

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Neidner—-they never wear out.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2933 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
See Alec Torres post re recoil pad, agree with others, Pachmayr the way to go.

Posts: 3826 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i used to love the rippeze -- once i was done cussin and drinkin trying to fit the @#$@#$@#$ things .. then had 2 melts in the gun safe, and they are heavy!!!

I have the same style gun (stoeger coach) that i have used for in the brush after wounded piggies. iirc, the right barrel is tighter choked, which will have an impact on which barrel you choose to bias the sights towards.

have fun
j

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38379 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
shoot, the standard plastic is ok for me, but I shoot a sawed off double 10 gauge.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
KID, please report on your results with the 900-grain slugs and the Tri-Balls.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16303 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Id go with Pachmyer simply because Ive had those soft newbies break off chunks on rocks, sometimes with proper handling, sometimes with a bit rougher than most incidents like sheep hunting or goats in rocks galore..and they are hard to leather cover but that should protect them Id think...pretty expensive protective method. I like the solid red pad..A silvers is my favorite as it covers easy, but looks great without cover and last forever, you give up some recoil protection as they are hard..

I also like Neidner butt plates btw, As far as Im concerned a recoil pad basically gives a gun a one inch run at your shoulder! Smiler

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Kick Eez if you want it to absorb recoil - Pachmayr if you’re more interested in classic looks.

For the past 20 years or so I’ve shot 20,000 to 50,000 12ga shells per year in competition and there is nothing that absorbs recoil like the Kick Eez, they’re most of what you see the competition shooters use.

I’ve put them on my heavy kicking rifles for nearly 20 years also. One or two ripped – before I started following the directions and rounding the edges – then they last really well. In fact, I don’t remember having to change one on a big rifle. For years I’ve drug around a .460 Wby, .416 Rem. and .340 Wby (including to Africa) with Kick Eez pads (although I did cheat and put leather on the .340 just for looks). More recently I put a Kick Eez on a light-weight .378 Wby (with no brake) and it made a HUGE difference over the Pachmayr that was on it.

The only Kick Eez pads I can remember having to change are on the competition shotguns after a ton of rounds. They get sticky more than anything else, but for some reason I haven’t had that problem on a rifle.

If you only want to do it once and don’t care about maximum recoil reduction a Pachmayr will last longer and be tougher, but for your purpose with a light kicker the Kick Eez will be worth replacing once every decade or two.

I tried a Limbsaver and it absorbed recoil pretty well but got sticky really quick and wasn’t useable. Maybe I got a bad one, but that was enough of a test for me.

And if you get sick of grinding down to the steel on the Pachmayr’s try Hogue and you won’t have that problem. Recently I had a weird shaped stock and two different sizes of Pachmayr’s barely ground to steel before they would fit. Someone recommended Hogue... and now I don’t have much use for Pachmayr anymore.

The only Decelerator I’ve bought lately was for a rimfire because I like the look and didn’t like the factory hard plastic slipping on my shoulder and the when standing in the gun rack.

Posts: 2503 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote