THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help with a 1964 Ruger 10/22 International.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted
I have a Ruger 10/22 international. First year production (1964). Really neat rifle, it has a 1962 Leupold M7b 3x in weaver mounts and the original leather sling.

It had a firing pin/trigger group issue. I would pull the trigger, the hammer would drop but it would not fire the round in the chamber. I had a friend switch out the complete bolt assembly and the trigger group. I kept all the original parts.

I would like to have the original parts installed and for it to function properly. The rifle means allot to me and I want it to stay as original as possible. It just bothers me when I shoot it. Knowing the original parts aren’t in it. May sound odd but it does.

I’m open any input or shipping it to a smith that understands how original I want it kept. It just means allot to me.

--------------------------------------------

Nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Posts: 770 | Location: North Central Washington | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Why not send it to Ruger?

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4857 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted Hide Post
Shit wreck in the making.

Posts: 770 | Location: North Central Washington | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well if it doesn't do it with the new assembly.

I would start my replacing then following parts the hammer spring, the firing pin, the hammer.

All at once or One at a time or in that order.

Sorry to tell you parts do weaken and wear out over time.

Posts: 19317 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not just investigate what caused the problem with the original parts. Could be something as simple as a broken firing pin. These are pretty simple systems should be easy to find the problem.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I suspect that you haven't saved any cases that didn't fire with the original bolt?

Without looking at the gun, my first hunch for a 50 year old 22 that probably had the heck shot out of it is that the firing pin is worn. You should check to see if the firing pin protrusion is 0.04", if it is not you can probably lengthen it with light peening if you wanted to keep it all original.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7757 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted Hide Post
Thank you Mark. I will dig into it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Agreed. The bolt is very simple and if it is snapping the likely culprit is the FP. The FP spring could be rusted up and jammed with crud too. Just need to get it cleaned up and inspect.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/g...0-22/parts-list-1022

quote:
Originally posted by Dan Stone:
Why not just investigate what caused the problem with the original parts. Could be something as simple as a broken firing pin. These are pretty simple systems should be easy to find the problem.

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote