Find
Notify
Tools

Price of Argon
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted
Got some sticker shock today; exchanged a bottle of Argon for my TIG welder. Price jumped 30% over last summer.
That means bolt handles will go up!

Posts: 17040 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Got some sticker shock today; exchanged a bottle of Argon for my TIG welder. Price jumped 30% over last summer.

As an HVAC contractor, we buy a boatload of refrigerant, as well as oxy/acetylene, and nitrogen. All of it has gone up in the last couple years, but refrigerant is getting ridiculous.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sandpaper, stock finish. steel, propane, oils EVERYTHING has taken huge price jumps. Instead of trying to redo price lists, a "COL surcharge" might be the solution to keep one's head above water.

Posts: 3434 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Might be the best way to go.
One more thing that is crazy; Scotch Brite Belts are way up. I use a lot of them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a job coming up where I need a 1.375 dia end mill to make a cut in a fixture. Yep got sticker shock, $ 138 WOW.

What pissed me off is last week I got in a overstock flyer from the same company. The sale price $ 33, for the same cutter.

Makes me really wonder about their mark up and and just how many they over bought several years ago in order to try to currently move any over stock out the door.

JW

Posts: 1411 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I have a couple of personal projects requiring new handles and, yup, my Argon tank is empty. Last time I refilled it was quite a shock, I can only imagine now. Ouch, I can't pass the costs on to anyone but myself.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4857 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes you have to shop around for end mills. And don't get center cutting ones unless you really need that; they are much more expensive.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

AH-OH! Frowner Roll Eyes Eeker

Hip

Posts: 1793 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Where do ya'll get end mills from? Don't mean to steal the thread. My argon tank last me a long time. The argon co2 tanks go fast though. I do alot of mig and a little tig. Mostly farm stuff.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yours was done before the price increase! You should get it tomorrow.

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
We use liquid nitrogen on the farm. Three years ago it cost $47 to fill a 32 liter Dewar Flask. Now it cost $150.

I have two full argon cylinders, should last me the rest of my time. My TIG welding has dropped off the past few years, one of the benefits of being retired.

Posts: 1444 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back about '85 I got a 100# propane size acetylene tank. (400+cu/ft) did a whole lot of welding and cutting, blacksmithing with it for years. Still runs the gauge up the same as it did when fresh.

UnFunny thing: was building the shop, working on a scaffold. Just turned the torch off and came in for a couple hours rest and lunch. Went back out and messed around half hour gathering material, putting leathers on etc. Climbed up and smelled acetylene strong. WTH? torch was off tight. Then I noticed the red hose was in small pieces for about a foot. Got down and ran over and shut the tanks off. Damned squirrel had eaten the hose up. I have no idea how long it had been blowing gas out. Had to pull the hoses and go have them repaired. Never had that happen before or since. All these years on that same tank.

I have a 300/cu/ft bottle of CO2 never touched.
Haven't been able to work in the shop much in 9 years, not at all in three. Used to have 5 sets of tanks. Have traded and given 3 sets to friends.

Randy: wish your son could have brought me about 100lbs of hog back straps in trade when he was up here last week. Keep it in mind for the next trip up.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
WTH? torch was off tight. Then I noticed the red hose was in small pieces for about a foot. Got down and ran over and shut the tanks off. Damned squirrel had eaten the hose up. I have no idea how long it had been blowing gas out. Had to pull the hoses and go have them repaired. Never had that happen before or since. All these years on that same tank.

Lesson learned always shut the gas off at the tank

Posts: 19308 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
WTH? torch was off tight. Then I noticed the red hose was in small pieces for about a foot. Got down and ran over and shut the tanks off. Damned squirrel had eaten the hose up. I have no idea how long it had been blowing gas out. Had to pull the hoses and go have them repaired. Never had that happen before or since. All these years on that same tank.

Lesson learned always shut the gas off at the tank

That don't always do it; you need to back off on the regulators.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5498 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by youngoutdoors:
Where do ya'll get end mills from? Don't mean to steal the thread. My argon tank last me a long time. The argon co2 tanks go fast though. I do alot of mig and a little tig. Mostly farm stuff.

God Bless, Louis

I gave up on cheap flebay carbide:

https://www.kodiakcuttingtools...riable-index-4-flute

Posts: 160 | Location: Homer, AK | Registered: 11 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I run Argon on 10 Cubic and weld a shit load per tank

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Reading this thread is like a Midway ad, everyting is in percent.
What does that work out to in Dollars per tank of argon (tank size) and how long does it take to use a tank.

Cost jumps like those stated are going to have to be reflected in future work done, no matter what.

I am planning to start hobby TIG welding and am assuming the small tank will work out best for me. Corrections on that theory are appreciated.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
Reading this thread is like a Midway ad, everyting is in percent.
What does that work out to in Dollars per tank of argon (tank size) and how long does it take to use a tank.

Cost jumps like those stated are going to have to be reflected in future work done, no matter what.

I am planning to start hobby TIG welding and am assuming the small tank will work out best for me. Corrections on that theory are appreciated.

I was a boat builder for years, the price of argon fluctuates like anything else over time. No need to panic. The smaller the tank, the more you pay per cubic foot. The sweet spot is the 150 cu ft tank because you can buy it and therefore own it and thus no demurrage fees. Of course, this is the same for an 80, 40, etc except you pay more per cu ft. You can take it to any supplier and they will trade it out, regardless of company sticker, at least that's the way it's been here in Alaska for the last 40 years that I've used thousands of cubic feet. Retired now, thank the stars, and a 150 will weld a bazillion bolt handles...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The shock of argon prices going up in terms of 'what to charge' is kinda ridiculous. Let's say it went up 100%. That ain't gonna make the cost of service go up the same. For example, I'm building a 21' skiff, one that I've built six times. I know from experience that it will take four 150 cu ft tanks of argon to complete. Before the increase, I paid $89 a tank. The skiff before the increased price was $22,000. you do the math for the price increase when I next build the exact same skiff.

So, add a buck or two on top of your efforts unless you're lazy with the gas.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may consider having your endmills reground.
I've used MCC Tooling in Garland, Tx for over 20yrs. Unless I need a full dimension endmill or other cutters, their regrind is better and last longer than quality new ones at a fraction of the price.
http://mcctooling.com/index.html

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No one said that calculating the extra price of argon used per bolt handle was hard to do.
In reality, it equates to about 40 cents more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talk about things going up. was running the racks at a local cabela's store the other night and noticed a common well used VZ-24 mauser. Was ready to pull out the wallet until I looked at the tag.
$600.00 and the bolt numbers didn't match. I seem to remember not to long ago one could buy a VZ-24 action for a couple hundred bucks!

KJK

Posts: 676 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
You may consider having your endmills reground.
I've used MCC Tooling in Garland, Tx for over 20yrs. Unless I need a full dimension endmill or other cutters, their regrind is better and last longer than quality new ones at a fraction of the price.
http://mcctooling.com/index.html

We grind our own.
I can't imagine working in a shop without a couple old cutter grinders.

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everything costs a lot more than it did last year, but there's no inflation? Maybe if we print up a few more trillion and hand it out prices will go back down.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:
Talk about things going up. was running the racks at a local cabela's store the other night and noticed a common well used VZ-24 mauser. Was ready to pull out the wallet until I looked at the tag.
$600.00 and the bolt numbers didn't match. I seem to remember not to long ago one could buy a VZ-24 action for a couple hundred bucks!

You're about 10 years behind times, and time flies. 20 years ago Big5 Sports was "saling" VZ-24s for $49.95, regular price was $69.95. I bought a few, wish I had bought more than I did.

Posts: 682 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote