Find
Notify
Tools

Montana Rifle Company action question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
Will the Model 1999 Montana Rifle Company action drop into a Drop-in ready stock for a short-action model 70 Winchester.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36417 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
short answer is no. doesnt take alot to make it work but a drop in , no.

Posts: 977 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As max said, very close, it might actually work. The action screw spacing is slightly different. I put one in a featherweight stock, as I recall the action dropped in, I had to mess with the barrel channel just a bit because I used an octagon barrel. Although the screws would go into the action, they rubbed on the stock holes, so I opened up the holes just slightly.

I've got a winchester factory aluminum bedding block "coyote" stock, and the short Montana action I have on hand drop in fits in it. I'm going to make a rifle on it one of these days.

Posts: 1098 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put 2 into Winchester SA plastic stocks about 15 years ago, there was a bit of file work and some epoxy involved.

Posts: 1678 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote