New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reclaimed Zpatero Wood from Panama
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It has been submerged for 90 years near the Panama Canal in a lake created by Teddy Roosavelt, then reclaimed recently.

I have a cured, large, live edge slab that would make several stock blanks.
Has anybody ever worked with it or know if it would make much of a gunstock? It is heavy, straight grained and very plan looking. Thanks, Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, It is spelled ZAPATERO. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
quote:
ZAPATERO

It is about as dense as the walnuts. It is somewhat harder. Depending on the part of the tree it comes from some of it is quite well figured. Used for high end furniture so it might have application as a gun stock. I think it is also referred to as Panamanian Walnut.

That's about all I know. Never actually seen a piece.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave, My piece is very plain, straight grained and light brown in colour. Also very heavy.
Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a Youtube link showing Zapatara wood being recovered from that lake in Panama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkQ11av1QaM

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
Thanks Dave, My piece is very plain, straight grained and light brown in colour. Also very heavy.
Brian

My pleasure. I seem to be a well of trivial knowledge. Nice when I get to use it.

Dave

Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Nice video Those are some nice sized boards they are getting from those old trees.

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IF it's fresh water that's fine but salt water will be a nightmare.As in Browning's because of salt in the stocks from '6os and 70'sa drying fiasco !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mete, Good point. I remember the "Browning salt fiasco" I think it is fresh water but I will doulbe check. Thanks, Brian

one of us
posted Hide Post
A company tried to make a business of recovering logs from lake Superior and sawing them. they had all kinds of problems with the wood and went out of business.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Singleshot93, Yes that is interesting. A friend got a few slabs for mantle pieces etc. and gave me one.

I assume that you are single shot man. I wanted to tell you that my latest preocupation is making up low cost single shot rifles. Currently I am working on a 50-110 Wincester. I am using a break-open shotgun action. The part I like is making the stock/forearm. I may make one out of Zapatero. (I get a pro to do the chambering and machining.) I am also into TC encores. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
p dog shooter, Yep, That would be a tough way to make a dollar I'll bet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mete PS. Good call. Just in case I thing that when I bed it, I will epoxy any wood that comes near the metal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not to point out the obvious, but if it's plain, and straight grained, why use it when you can purchase the same in walnut for very little money.

I know it's your money and your deal, but sometimes we wind up spending a dollar to save a dime.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gatogordo, Good call. I am starting to ask myself the same question. I have several blanks of lovely curly walnut and maple that are already cured.
The Zapatero came to me as a gift from a good pal who wanted to do something nice for me. He feels it is very special wood but thanks to people on this thread a am realizing that it is not. I feel obligated to do something with it. Maybe I should just make a coffee table or something out of it! I have to do something with it. (I could make about 200 walking sticks! chuckle.)
Thanks for the new perspective. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done the math and figured out how to maximize the value of my slab of exotic Zapatero wood salvaged from it's underwater grave in Panama. I will turn it into 10,562 chop sticks. Brian

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great idea! Now all you have to do is find 5,281 people who want zapatero chop sticks. Big Grin

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's already in the business plan!

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
I'll take a set.

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll make a note. Brian

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll do a field test and report on utility, balance, finish, etc. Of course, I'll have to keep the used samples. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We're goin' downtown!