Find
Notify
Tools

Need help with 26mm rings and 1" scopes
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted
I just bought a really nice mannlicher schonauer 7x57. The problem I have is that it has permanently soldered EAW 26mm rings. Are there any good options to get them to work with 1" scopes? I tried using 3M 33 tape but the tape "oozed" out when I tightened the screws and it did not hold the scope. Any suggestions?

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You need some shim stock, aluminum or steel, .012 (12 thousandths) thick. Actually .0236mm. Or even gasket paper will work; tape is too soft. You can use rosin on the scope to prevent slippage.

Posts: 17094 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
You need some shim stock, aluminum or steel, .012 (12 thousandths) thick. Actually .0236mm. Or even gasket paper will work; tape is too soft. You can use rosin on the scope to prevent slippage.

Often used 1" scopes in 26mm rings, plain celloptape (the clear stuff, not opaque type) is the way to go, it ages into hard plastic and doesn't soften and slip. From memory about 5 turns of cellotape does it and run the end of your last turn to butt with the start of the first turn i.e. an even 5 turns with no overlap. Cellotape grips really well to itself and the inside of rings (non-glue side) and glue side to outside of scope.
Get the tape that is same width as rings and you wont even see it in the rings.

Posts: 3847 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Maybe fingers from rubber gloves would work.

If not in a hurry, though, you may be in a position to take the optical high ground* and look for an old 26mm reticle-movement scope, which should work OK if your mounts were installed properly in the first place.

These scopes can still be found in excellent condition on Internet sites where sellers are concerned to maintain their reputations. My favorites are Zeiss/Hensoldt, B.Nickel, Kahles and Pecar but some of the S&B, early Swarovski and 26mm American scopes are good, too.

The best ones were made after WWII, have weather-proof turret caps and only the finest line between the field of view and outside world - but you need to make sure the reticle moves out of centre if wound very far. By the 1980s even the European makers were giving up to the image-movement decadence, though Pecar may have kept the faith until 2006.

*Modern scopes are mechanically questionable in their having articulated erector tubes susceptible to recoil inertia. Such tubes can also reflect light into the ocular, when oblique in a badly mounted scope, despite heavy field stops added to prevent it happening. These obtrusive field stops are responsible for much of the modern tunnel vision and comparative loss of FoV. (That reflection problem was alluded to in the original patents for constantly centred reticles 60-plus years ago and Burris asserts it still exists in scopes made this century.)

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have been standard soda cans - Pepsi, Coke etc - as shims.

Works great.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I have been standard soda cans - Pepsi, Coke etc - as shims.

Works great.

Same here they are great.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes pop can material will work, but it is only .007 thick. I actually measured some when I read this.
We don't call it soda here. Pop.

Posts: 17094 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote