Notify
Tools

PSA: Changes to Pachmayr Decelerator Pads
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted
All,

Having recently fitted a new Pachmayr 752B pad to a rifle, I felt it courteous to let everyone know of some changes they made to the design of the pad. These changes are indicated on a slip of paper in the package, which I've posted below. Overall, there was nothing different to mounting/installing/performance, but some of these changes are a little odd at first. One that's not pictured is the fact the recoil pad is now a single, solid color when you get it. I bought a red pad, and the entire exterior of the pad was red, no black base like I'm used to seeing. However, when you start grinding, the red goes away and reveals a normal pad with the black base. This is loosely indicated in the second to last bullet point. I think the slotted hole is a nice touch and allows a little wiggle room with hole spacing.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are there any better alternatives, better look, better quality to the Pachmayr pads?

Posts: 657 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Not that I've found. They're so good and easy to source, I haven't seen the need to change. I did try one of the Hogue grind to fit pads and found it good, too, but they don't come with as many options as the Pachmayr pads. The red pad is super-classy on just about everything.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The nice thing about the Pachmayr pads is that the base grinds well. Others use a plastic base that melps when you try to grind it. If there is a worse pad than the Limbsaver, I can't think of what it might be. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3491 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
The nice thing about the Pachmayr pads is that the base grinds well. Others use a plastic base that melps when you try to grind it. If there is a worse pad than the Limbsaver, I can't think of what it might be. Regards, Bill.

Agreed on all counts, Bill. The Hogue ground similarly to the Pachmayr, so I'd lump them in the good category. Aside from being ugly, the tendency of Limbsavers to go all gooey is a major turn off. I've never found the need to have a pad that soft on a rifle. Pachmayr has noticeably softened their material over time, but it's still nowhere near Limbsaver. The newest Decelerator I installed is actually surprisingly soft. I remembered them being a little firmer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently had two Pachmayr Decelerator pads installed , one on a Dakota 300H&H and another on a Mod 70 Win .264Win. They seem spongy to me and it will be interesting to see how they hold up compared to the older models which were stellar in performance and look.

Posts: 657 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4WD:
I recently had two Pachmayr Decelerator pads installed , one on a Dakota 300H&H and another on a Mod 70 Win .264Win. They seem spongy to me and it will be interesting to see how they hold up compared to the older models which were stellar in performance and look.

The new ones are still great in look and performance, but they're a tad softer. Honestly, I view recoil pads with an expiration date. You get an honest 20 -30 years out of them, but that's it. When I buy a used rifle from anytime before 2000, I always assume the pad is getting chucked and replaced. I have a few of my own installs that are approaching that point, and they're holding up well. Maybe there's something to actually using the gun to keep them in shape?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just went thru a recoil pad replacement binge. They really do have a finite life. I think one of them was over 50 years old! All were replaced with new Decelerator pads. Two of the replacements had small hidden bubble defects that didn't appear until they were shaped. The defects were small and don't impair function but it still ticks me off a bit.
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgbach:
I just went thru a recoil pad replacement binge. They really do have a finite life. I think one of them was over 50 years old! All were replaced with new Decelerator pads. Two of the replacements had small hidden bubble defects that didn't appear until they were shaped. The defects were small and don't impair function but it still ticks me off a bit.
C.G.B.

Yeah, that sucks. Can't say what I'd do in your shoes, but I'd certainly consider calling Pachmayr and complaining. Odds are they'd send you a new pad if you sent them a picture. Yes, it's small and doesn't get in the way of performance, but it's ugly! I ain't hunting with an ugly gun! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm...notice that they eliminated a "costly operation", but kept the price increase

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Hmmmm...notice that they eliminated a "costly operation", but kept the price increase

sofa

posted Hide Post
...an alternative to Decelerator is the Kick-Eze. I've used these a few times. One of the advantages I've found is that a thinner pad will perform well, and I've found that thinner looks better to me. I used a .700 thick Kick-Eze on my 8 pound .300 H&H, it works great!

Another thing I do to decrease felt recoil, when designing a stock do not make the butt surface too narrow! A wide butt sole helps spread the recoil over a larger area IME.

Just my 2cents.

Posts: 4 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 14 June 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree on the wide recoil pad. I shoot 577 and 500 with a wide limbsaver.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recently, I've also had several with defects that don't get noticed until they're fully ground. I'm wondering it has to do with their new process. It's a problem I've had multiple times with them within the last couple of months and never before the new design.
quote:
Originally posted by cgbach:
C.G.B.

Posts: 561 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably why Lyman was blowing out the old stock on Ebay for $7-10 each.

Posts: 1678 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That metal plate in Pachmyer pads bothers me, and on a rare occasion I hit it and ruin a pad..I like a one size fits all pad that's solid red or brown..small size for less grinding.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote