THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM


Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Douglas barrels
 Login/Join
 
one of us
posted
Anyone know why they don't answer the phone? I need a barrel and have tried for two days, phone just keeps ringing


Professional Member, American Custom Gunmakers Guild,
 
Posts: 5153 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the same result today and yesterday. No idea.
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Anyone know why they don't answer the phone? I need a barrel and have tried for two days, phone just keeps ringing
 
Posts: 380 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I talk to them all the time; several times last week and got 3 barrels in yesterday. Two 40s and a 223.
They must be off for Thanksgiving. Or deer season. They make up for it by being the most responsive company on earth.
Be patient.
304 776-1341.
 
Posts: 13140 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is also the Covid thing going on. You might try email.
DouglasBarrelsInc@gmail.com


Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."
 
Posts: 3000 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I talk to them all the time; several times last week and got 3 barrels in yesterday. Two 40s and a 223.
They must be off for Thanksgiving. Or deer season. They make up for it by being the most responsive company on earth.
Be patient.
304 776-1341.


If they are so responsive why in hell don't they at least have an answering machine and turn it on. They just lost my sale. They don't even answer their email


Professional Member, American Custom Gunmakers Guild,
 
Posts: 5153 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Hell?
Seriously?
Even if you wait a few days you will get a better barrel, quicker than from anyone else. I have dealt with them sine 1970 and know this for a fact.
 
Posts: 13140 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
new member
posted Hide Post
Perhaps they are hunting, This is first week of gun deer season in WV.
 
Posts: 1 | Registered: 18 September 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I agree wholeheartedly with Tom. Douglas Barrels, Stan and Kay are wonderful folks and my primary source for barrels for over 15-years. Not once have they ever disappointed me. Keep in mind that when you call the, you’re not calling a company like Ruger or Smith & Wesson. They keep things simple and if they close for deer season so he it. Maybe the West Virginia governor decided they’re a “non-essential” business and forced them to close, like Queen Michelle has here in NM to thousands of businesses? Would not surprise me a bit.


John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!
 
Posts: 2873 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can attest to the fact that Douglas is quick about getting barrels to their customers. I sent an action to DPCD to be barreled for me. He notified me when the action was received and again when he received the barrel. Total length of time, less than 30 days. That’s fast in my opinion.

That also speaks highly of the communication between Tom and his customers. I never expected nor asked for progress updates, yet he took the time out of his day to update me!

Thank you Tom!
 
Posts: 91 | Registered: 27 March 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Don't discount a Telecom issue. They do happen.


"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789
 
Posts: 1991 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shilen, Lila and some others make great barrels.


NRA Patron member
 
Posts: 2263 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I talk to them all the time; several times last week and got 3 barrels in yesterday. Two 40s and a 223.
They must be off for Thanksgiving. Or deer season. They make up for it by being the most responsive company on earth.
Be patient.
304 776-1341.


If they are so responsive why in hell don't they at least have an answering machine and turn it on. They just lost my sale. They don't even answer their email


With this post I'm sure their stock sank.....
Doubt your inpatients and anger put them out of buisness.


________________________________________________
Maker of The Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Proudly made in the USA
Acepting all forms of payment including PayPal
 
Posts: 7220 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
I agree wholeheartedly with Tom. Douglas Barrels, Stan and Kay are wonderful folks and my primary source for barrels for over 15-years. Not once have they ever disappointed me. Keep in mind that when you call the, you’re not calling a company like Ruger or Smith & Wesson. They keep things simple and if they close for deer season so he it. Maybe the West Virginia governor decided they’re a “non-essential” business and forced them to close, like Queen Michelle has here in NM to thousands of businesses? Would not surprise me a bit.


Well...if MY business were impacted by some politico.I'd sure as hell state so on my
(Operational) answering machine
 
Posts: 2340 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Firearmdoc:
I can attest to the fact that Douglas is quick about getting barrels to their customers. I sent an action to DPCD to be barreled for me. He notified me when the action was received and again when he received the barrel. Total length of time, less than 30 days. That’s fast in my opinion.

That also speaks highly of the communication between Tom and his customers. I never expected nor asked for progress updates, yet he took the time out of his day to update me!

Thank you Tom!




Really doesn't prove a darn thing. I've received barrels in a week...jus gotta get lucky they happen to have what you want in stock.
 
Posts: 2340 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hell, they might have caller ID.
 
Posts: 170 | Registered: 02 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gwahir:
Hell, they might have caller ID.


Big Grin


John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!
 
Posts: 2873 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Duane, in fact, it means a lot; all my barrels are custom contoured to my patterns; I order nothing off he rack. I do not use standard contours; anyone can do that. I routinely get my barrels in a week or so.
And they keep very little in stock anyway; they keep about 1000 rifled bars on the shelves and turn them to customer orders. If they kept every possible variation in inventory, that would mean having a massive inventory of barrels on hand; not an efficient way to do it.
39 calibers, times 4 twists, times two steels, times airguaged or standard, times 30 contours, equals 18,700 barrels. And I forgot two polishing options so double that. You can't inventory 37, 000 barrels.
Yes other people make barrels; I have used most of them; some are ok; NONE of them are as nice to work with as Douglas. If you think so you don't use many barrels, custom made to your patterns.
Give them a break; they took Thanksgiving week off.
 
Posts: 13140 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gwahir:
Hell, they might have caller ID.



animal
 
Posts: 274 | Registered: 01 January 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
quote:
Originally posted by gwahir:
Hell, they might have caller ID.


Big Grin


Snort!
 
Posts: 38331 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gwahir:
Hell, they might have caller ID.


Good one, my bad!


Professional Member, American Custom Gunmakers Guild,
 
Posts: 5153 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Duane, in fact, it means a lot; all my barrels are custom contoured to my patterns; I order nothing off he rack. I do not use standard contours; anyone can do that. I routinely get my barrels in a week or so.
And they keep very little in stock anyway; they keep about 1000 rifled bars on the shelves and turn them to customer orders. If they kept every possible variation in inventory, that would mean having a massive inventory of barrels on hand; not an efficient way to do it.
39 calibers, times 4 twists, times two steels, times airguaged or standard, times 30 contours, equals 18,700 barrels. And I forgot two polishing options so double that. You can't inventory 37, 000 barrels.
Yes other people make barrels; I have used most of them; some are ok; NONE of them are as nice to work with as Douglas. If you think so you don't use many barrels, custom made to your patterns.
Give them a break; they took Thanksgiving week off.



OK..I get it
 
Posts: 2340 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom, Just curious if you heard if they are closed down for Covid? I figured last week could have been the holiday but I haven't gotten through today either.
No knock on Douglas. Great barrels that I'll continue to use.
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Duane, in fact, it means a lot; all my barrels are custom contoured to my patterns; I order nothing off he rack. I do not use standard contours; anyone can do that. I routinely get my barrels in a week or so.
And they keep very little in stock anyway; they keep about 1000 rifled bars on the shelves and turn them to customer orders. If they kept every possible variation in inventory, that would mean having a massive inventory of barrels on hand; not an efficient way to do it.
39 calibers, times 4 twists, times two steels, times airguaged or standard, times 30 contours, equals 18,700 barrels. And I forgot two polishing options so double that. You can't inventory 37, 000 barrels.
Yes other people make barrels; I have used most of them; some are ok; NONE of them are as nice to work with as Douglas. If you think so you don't use many barrels, custom made to your patterns.
Give them a break; they took Thanksgiving week off.
 
Posts: 380 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well....speaking for myself, I'm sure I do not use as many barrels as dpcd...that's just not my niche in this business nor would I want it.

The client tells me what barrel brand he prefers on his one off custom rifle.

Custom contour? Just about every one!,,but it's done in house...some major contouring determined by weight, balance, features and maybe all three.

Others... the breech area only. Still others, full blown integral designs.

When major integral designs are wanted, I will want to use Kreiger or Douglas. That decision is based on experience that those brands are not likely to move around (warp)

Why not use an LW barrel for integral designs? Simple! Why waste energy dealing with something you don't know for certain
 
Posts: 2340 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNR:
Tom, Just curious if you heard if they are closed down for Covid? I figured last week could have been the holiday but I haven't gotten through today either.
No knock on Douglas. Great barrels that I'll continue to use.
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Duane, in fact, it means a lot; all my barrels are custom contoured to my patterns; I order nothing off he rack. I do not use standard contours; anyone can do that. I routinely get my barrels in a week or so.
And they keep very little in stock anyway; they keep about 1000 rifled bars on the shelves and turn them to customer orders. If they kept every possible variation in inventory, that would mean having a massive inventory of barrels on hand; not an efficient way to do it.
39 calibers, times 4 twists, times two steels, times airguaged or standard, times 30 contours, equals 18,700 barrels. And I forgot two polishing options so double that. You can't inventory 37, 000 barrels.
Yes other people make barrels; I have used most of them; some are ok; NONE of them are as nice to work with as Douglas. If you think so you don't use many barrels, custom made to your patterns.
Give them a break; they took Thanksgiving week off.


Try them now, I got over my rant and ordered one yesterday, didn't even ask why no contact


Professional Member, American Custom Gunmakers Guild,
 
Posts: 5153 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Things are strange this time of year.

I emailed Shilen on the 18th to check on an order, they just responded this morning

Flip side of all the things going on this time of year.
Fed Ex dropped off a case of ammo yesterday that I did not order ?? Will set it aside for a few days to see if they figure out their mistake, and sorry to say I do not have a rifle in that caliber.

J Wisner
 
Posts: 1081 | Location: Adna, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like Douglas is still on Thanksgiving vacation! Hope they get back soon, I need a barrel!


"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
 
Posts: 735 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AHAH!! Caught Stan at the phone this morning and ordered a barrel!


"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
 
Posts: 735 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
  Powered by Social Strata  
 


Copyright December 1997-2020 Accuratereloading.com


Visit our on-line store for AR Memorabilia