New
Find
Notify
Tools

rem 700 question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
not exactly the gunsmithing problem of the year but......
i have an older rem 700 BDL in 7mag that the magazine spring keeps falling out of on the table every time i release the bottom plate to unload the rifle. the part of the spring that is attached to the plate was slightly bent so i straightened it and it works better. now it only falls out every other time! should i super glue it in or get another one? as is it slides into the recess too easily with no resistance to hold it in place. thanks

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
"crimp" or distort the end with a punch or a pair of pliers...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
makes sense, thanks.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Some rifle makes have dimples at the end to hold them in. Take a center punch and make one.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Typically the top leg of the "W" spring is dimpled to keep the follower attached. The bottom leg that fits into the floor plate has a bow in it to hold it in spring tension under the tabs.

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys

One of Us
posted Hide Post
well i over peened it, then under peened it, and it worked great.