New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tip for softening Devcon 10110 resin
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Maybe people already know this tip but I just discovered it.

Devon Plastic Steel Putty A resin gets stiff and hard to stir after a long time in storage. To soften it I put the closed container in a pot of hot tap water for a while.
This is for the resin not the hardener.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about the microwave?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The micro wave works.

With Agragla gel, I put the open container in the oven for 5-8 seconds. Take it out and stir then put it back for another 5 secs then repeat until the gel is like new. I don’t let the gel ge hot -just warm

If It Doesn't Feed, It's Junk.

Posts: 407 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Once you mix it bump the mixture 5-10 seconds and it will greatly reduce set time.

quote:
Originally posted by Mauser98:
The micro wave works.

With Agragla gel, I put the open container in the oven for 5-8 seconds. Take it out and stir then put it back for another 5 secs then repeat until the gel is like new. I don’t let the gel ge hot -just warm

Posts: 3666 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Microwave. Boiling water is so, 20th Century.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
hmm --
boiling water is likely to make physical changes - microwaving something that isn't largely H2O based, is likely to make chemical changes.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38459 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You don't remove the stuff from the jar......
If microwaving makes chemical changes, I have not noticed it. I have done it a few times on old acraglas.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not tried microwave or boiling water. I just tried hot tap water.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I tried micro and water. water worked better for me. Yes microw removes moisture.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks rich

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is there not an issue with microwaving a metallic compound? Bill.

Posts: 3521 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, That's good point.

Also, Bill I recognize your name. I come from Calgary. I left there for good in 1970. Were you once a Calgarian?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was in Kamloops until 1984 then in Calgary until '93. I started moving here in '91 but kept working in Calgary until '94. Been here ever since. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3521 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I probably heard your name in Kamloops. Brian