New
Find
Notify
Tools

on again, off again
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In reading around here I think stumbled on, if remembering correctly, mention of Lock-Tite Black Max adhesive for applying sight
bases and bands. So, is it gunsmithedly appropriate and strong sufficient to hold, say, banded ramp, swivel band, and island rear? Need to know: .375. Along with using Black Max or similar adhesive, can the applied bands and saddle be successfully removed with heat and not mar the bluing below?
I understand the correct form is solder and have done a few, but have yet to use chemical fastening.
Thanks for,
Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I use it, for various reasons, including temp sights .. i was SHOCKED at how durable the stuff was, and it has happened repeatedly that i have to get the metal hotter than I would have thought. ...

btw, if you remove with heat, do it OUTSIDE with a strong wind -

the only thing i would question would be the swivel band .. that takes a good deal of mechanical load and forces.

i needed a "safari" rifle ready for a hunt, and used it on all three, then hit it with flat black paint ...

it all came off fine when I got around to finishing the rifle

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38459 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not familiar with Black Max but an industrial glue we would get in Australia would do the job. Jeffe mentioned the sling swivel but if it is barrel band that goes full around the barrel then a glue job will be extremely strong.

With an industrial glue you would have problems I think if you removed things and the finish. There is a chemical and from memory the name si something like DiChloro Ethane that will attack epoxy but not the real good ones that have been heat cured or even if not heat cured but have been curing for 6 or 12 months. Even epoxy like Devcon takes months to fully cure. For example mix up Devcon and say after it has cured for 3 days or so and drop into the Di Chloro Ethane and it will fall apart over an hour or so. Leave the same Devcon sit there for 6 months and the Di Chloro will just barely mark it.

As a side note, a general rule with expoxy is the real good stuff is never a 50/50 mix and never quick curing like the 5 minute stuff etc.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is Black Max more aggressive than JB Weld?

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
Is Black Max more aggressive than JB Weld?

I have hear of JB Weld on the forums. Is it a glue or a filler like Devcon etc.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A two part epoxy that is used to bond metal. I have not seen any test that JB Weld has failed. But...

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
A two part epoxy that is used to bond metal. I have not seen any test that JB Weld has failed. But...

RIP on Big Bores uses it all the time for scope mounts etc.

If it is used to bond metal then a glue. Stuff like Devcon is not a good glue.

The industrial one used in Australia I referred to from Ciba-Geigy is fairly liquid like and when things are warmed up the bond is best as pores in the metal expand and the glue runs well. After it has cured for a day or so it is ten heat cured in boiling water.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most banded front ramps are friction fit (and maybe a little heat for good measure. So I would have no qualms at all about using lock tite for banded anything.

Island base is another thing altogether. The barrel vibrates pretty intensely when it is fired. I once glued on a rear sight to test POI, and I was surprised how nicely it jumped off when I fired the rifle. It wasn't a very heavy caliber. So I would not glue on an island base. I screw AND solder those on.

As for the blueing, some adhesives will remove hot blue just like acid. Test first.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2927 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:
I am not familiar with Black Max but an industrial glue we would get in Australia would do the job. Jeffe mentioned the sling swivel but if it is barrel band that goes full around the barrel then a glue job will be extremely strong.

With an industrial glue you would have problems I think if you removed things and the finish. There is a chemical and from memory the name si something like DiChloro Ethane that will attack epoxy but not the real good ones that have been heat cured or even if not heat cured but have been curing for 6 or 12 months. Even epoxy like Devcon takes months to fully cure. For example mix up Devcon and say after it has cured for 3 days or so and drop into the Di Chloro Ethane and it will fall apart over an hour or so. Leave the same Devcon sit there for 6 months and the Di Chloro will just barely mark it.

As a side note, a general rule with expoxy is the real good stuff is never a 50/50 mix and never quick curing like the 5 minute stuff etc.

Correct on the 50/50 and quick cure. Never use the stuff, either.
S

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
You can test it .. I've used it .. works fine.

JB weld is a different glue type, its an epoxy, rather than a roughened cyanoacetate

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38459 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The chemical was Trichloroethane. Might be hard to get now as it depletes Ozone layer.

We used it a lot with actions that were pulled apart that had been "glue ins" usually Rem 700s or Stillers and would just drop the action in and wold clean off epoxy still stuck to action after heating/pull apart. When you do a "glue in" it is not bedding without a release agent. The action is bedded as normal and then the action is glued to the bedding.

Glue bonds are incredibly strong when you have a round section that is a top fit. I have had glue ins on Rem 700s and without the recoil lug and in 358 STAs and a real lot of shots fired and no problem. Hence why I mentioned of the sling swivel is all round the barrel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lord Firth,
I believe you want to use a product from Loctite
#638 retaining compound. Brownells #532-000-008
max. strength retaining compound. I have used this on several fine guns. Jim Wisner got me started on his recommend years back. I have tested it and found it to stronger the high force soldier. I have used it for front barrel band sight and barrel band sling swivel mount on a 338RUM GMA Mauser, at this time 650 shots and 10 years as my main hunting rifle. Parts were installed on clean bare metal, then rust blued,
maybe six or more boilings and cardings. This product allows several minutes before it sets up, 24hr full cure allows easy alignment. Look up on Loctite product application sheet on line.
This a great product.

Posts: 115 | Location: kamiah idaho | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Loctite
#638 retaining compound

I use #680 myself. Fantastic stuff. We used it at the first tool & die shop I worked at doing industrial roller repair. Welding the ends of the shafts barely loosened it, we found it was best just to turn the old parts off. No reasonable amount of heat, hammering, or pressing would get a good fit part to come off.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote