THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Replacement barrel nut options for the Ruger American?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replacement barrel nut options for the Ruger American?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looks like the Ruger American barrel nut can’t be removed without getting it boogered up. Is there an aftermarket replacement option? I’m thinking of having a Predator in 223 punched to 223AI or 224 Ruger. I may just lengthen the throat and use 2.55” AICS mags. Either way I’m thinking a new barrel nut will be needed. Thanks

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Why did they design it this way??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66901 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
They are cheap. The factory does not intend for you to ever remove it, which is why it is designed smooth. The factory does not support nor endorse barrel removal, modification thereof, nor barrel replacement other than by the factory.

Posts: 17090 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Here's one that appears to be a custom length. But, they claim - only fits their barrels.

https://patriotvalleyarms.com/...-american-sako-m595/

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5095 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
They sell the nut and wrench for the RPR which I think has the same threads as the American; the nuts are threaded the same as the receiver so they will fit any barrel. Out of stock though. However, with a lathe you can just make any nut you want; little inside threading. Mill flats on it. Spanner hole, whatever you want.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't Savage use a smooth nut in one of it's models? I wonder if it would work on the Ruger?

Posts: 3664 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes they do; I have used them. and I have also lathe turned off the grooves on the standard ones too.
However the threads on the Ruger are 1x16 and Savage, isn't. 1.055 standard and 1.0625 for the big one.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
You know, this reminds me of the earlier days of computers.

I have been building my own since the original IBM PC.

In those days, it was a pain in the posterior trying to get the right parts to work with others.

Now they are all standard.

Only choice one has to make is the motherboard, whether for INTEL or AMD CPU.

The rest all fits together.

Makes life so much easier for all concerned.

The number of times someone comes here with a broken rifle part, and he is unable to get a replacement.

We have to make it here.

Posts: 66901 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
True. But if a firearm maker made everything interchangeable then people would not be forced to get the unique parts from him.
Unlike computer chips, which all come from the same factory in Taiwan (saw that on 60 Minutes last week). No one else in the world knows how to make the best ones, with a billion circuits per square inch or something like that; I know nothing about micro chips.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, My buddy has built several Ruger American rifles w/o using the nut and just facing action and the barrel shoulder like a normal rifle re-barrel.

I can get more info from him if anyone wants.

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Of course when you make a new barrel you can fit any receiver without using the nut; the nut is for existing barrels, Which the OP wants to re-use. There is no reason to use the nut outside the factory, except when using an original barrel which has no shoulder.
I never use the nuts when fitting new barrels to Savages, etc.
It's just like any other barrel then.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Here a lock ring wrench for like $50.
https://www.littlecrowgunworks...rench-LRW-p106089776

Posts: 5095 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We get a lot of CZ rifles here to replace barrels on.

The 527 have barrels that do not have a shank to sit against the action.

The front of the action is round.

We square the front of the action, and make the new barrel diameter larger after the thread.

It fits against the action, similar to Sakos for instance.

Works great.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Wild guess - less time needed to headspace by rotating the barrel instead of reaming the chamber?

quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Why did they design it this way??

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Not a guess; you got it; that is the reason for the nut; so the factory can put a minimum gauge in the chamber and screw the barrel on, then tighten the nut. More accurate and much faster than reaming and you always get minimum correct headspace.
I assumed the question to be, why a smooth nut?

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Who knows why. To make it a Ruger and not copy anything from a Savage? Here's an idea to save the factory nut from damage is to use a barrel clamp with a copper insert to back off the lock collar while using another one to hold the barrel. Copper seems to be much grippier than steel and it might be more forgiving on the surface.
If it was mine. I'd run it by the Tech department at Douglas barrels.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Two reasons; it is cheaper to make the nut smooth.
It is faster and more precise to fit barrels that way. Guys and girls who shoot them do not care how they look.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Who knows why. To make it a Ruger and not copy anything from a Savage? Here's an idea to save the factory nut from damage is to use a barrel clamp with a copper insert to back off the lock collar while using another one to hold the barrel. Copper seems to be much grippier than steel and it might be more forgiving on the surface.
If it was mine. I'd run it by the Tech department at Douglas barrels.

Thanks!

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote