Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington vs Savage: Rebarreling
 Login/Join

posted
What is the difference between the 2? Everything I read about savage people say its easy for the average Joe to rebarrel. Everything I read about Remington 700 people say "have a qualified gunsmith perform a rebarrel". Can you help explain why this is? I was able to find a video on the savage, but I've tried searching a bunch on remington and keep seeing the gunsmith thing. Thanks!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Because the savage uses a barrel nut that allows the barrel to be infinitely adjusted in and out to set headspace. Whereas the Rem barrel has a shoulder on it which makes the barrel stop in one place; headspace being set by reaming the chamber deeper, or less deep. That is why anyone can fit a savage barrel, but it takes a lathe, reamer, and gauges to fit Rems and others.

Posts: 17102 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a couple of manufacturers at least that offer barrels for Remington 700's that have the Savage type lock nut for headspace.

Posts: 206 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep and plenty that eliminate the Savage lock nut and butt the barrel on a shoulder.